Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you know any Chinese people who served in the British Armed Forces?

Hi all,

This is a general post to everyone who might know any Chinese ex-servicemen and women in the British Armed Forces.

The British Chinese Armed Forces Heritage Project (BCAFH) is a partnership project in collaboration with Ming-Ai (London) Institute and Regent’s University London. The primary aim of the project is to collect 40 oral history interviews with the British Chinese ex-servicemen and women to create a historical archive, which would be the basis for the generation of a series of community-related initiatives. We will be putting up two exhibitions (one in Hong Kong in 2017 and one in London) to the public to showcase the important and significant contribution of the Chinese who serviced in the British Armed Forces.

We're currently looking for Chinese ex-servicemen and the descendants or relations of the Chinese ex-servicemen, who served either in Hong Kong or elsewhere under the British. We hope that through your association, we could get in touch with some of your members or contacts and interview them for our project.

We would like to put out a communication to your members or contacts to ask if any of your members or contacts are interested in being interviewed by us. We hope that you will allow us to communicate this to them or would pass our message and contact details on to them.

Please let us know if you have any contact and please also help us to spread the words if you know anyone who might be interested.

Our project website:British Chinese Armed Forces Heritage || 華籍英軍史 - British Chinese Heritage Centre | British Chinese Heritage Centre

Attachments

• BCAFH_logo_red_jpeg.jpeg
    BCAFH_logo_red_jpeg.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 67

ugly

LE
Always used to do the laundry for the RN and man the RFA!

D

Deleted 4886

Plenty of ex HKMSC and RN knocking about. A lot of the ex-Int Corps ones are in the Beds area. I will pass on the link to a few I know.

Always used to do the laundry for the RN and man the RFA!

Historically, many were employed on the Western Front during WW1 in the Chinese Labour Corps. They also put a lot of time in postbellum 'tidying up'. A great many lost their lives in the process, handling unexploded munitions.

Last edited:
Try 'RMP - The Redcaps Reunited' on FB. I think a few on there are in comms with those HK nationals who were attached to the Corps prior to 1997.

Historically, many were employed on the Western Front during WW1 in the Chinese Labour Corps. They also put a lot of time in postbellum 'tidying up'. A great many lost their lives in the process, handling unexploded munitions.
One side effect of which is that France is the only country in the world whose Chinese community is overwhelmingly descended from Northern Chinese rather than Southern. Gen dit.

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
Try 'RMP - The Redcaps Reunited' on FB. I think a few on there are in comms with those HK nationals who were attached to the Corps prior to 1997.

I know an ex-RMP here in HK, although he may be Eurasian (i.e. half English half Chinese) rather than full Chinese.

I also know a Eurasian ex-matelot here. Do they qualify?

Last edited:

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
The Gordon Highlandees had a Master Tailor of Chinese descent, he was the Master Tailor of SDD circa 88/89.

Chodmeister

RIP
RIP
Would lads of Chinese extraction who served in the British military as LEP's in Singapore count? 18 Signal Regiment has scores of Chinese and Malays serving whilst I was there in the mid to late sixties?

Several are still in contact on various FB pages.

29 Squadron RCT, part of GTR in the old days in HK

The Gordon Highlandees had a Master Tailor of Chinese descent, he was the Master Tailor of SDD circa 88/89.
In addition, most RN aircraft carriers used to have civilian HK Chinese tailors.

As for service personnel, there were HK Chinese employed as Locally Enslisted Personnel serving in the Royal Navy Hong Kong patrol squadron consisting of HM Ships Peacock, Plover & Starling. An advert or letter in the "Dockyard Dandy" aka Navy News, is sure to establish a good number of contacts. Navy News - Reporting from the Fleet

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
In addition, most RN aircraft carriers used to have civilian HK Chinese tailors.

As for service personnel, there were HK Chinese employed as Locally Enslisted Personnel serving in the Royal Navy Hong Kong patrol squadron consisting of HM Ships Peacock, Plover & Starling. An advert or letter in the "Dockyard Dandy" aka Navy News, is sure to establish a good number of contacts. Navy News - Reporting from the Fleet

This was a serving soldier of the Gordons with a thick Aberdonian accent.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting project. I have asked the UK Branch of the Royal Hong Kong Regiment (The Volunteers) Association to broadcast it.

Are you interested in BBCs who are still serving?

although he may be Eurasian (i.e. half English half Chinese) rather than full Chinese.

I also know a Eurasian ex-matelot here. Do they qualify?

Interesting question, I've a mate who fits that bill, the jammy globe-trotting VIP-shoulder-rubbing git

Latest Threads