Do you get paid for TA work outside of TA time?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Oct 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Going to be spending most of the night knocking up an admin order, when her indoors gets in she's likely to ask if I'm getting paid for it (she a Yorkshire lass 8O ).

I've known the odd person claim MTDs for work done at home but is that normal?

If it is does anyone put in claims for advice & help they've given on here :lol: :lol: :lol: (guess 1/4 of a days pay each week for some)

2. Our PSAO and OC have stated that if you spend "home time" putting out admin orders, planning and the general stuff that you don't have time to do on Drill Nights/Weekends etc than you can claim 1/4 day.

Obviously there has to be measureable output!

3. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Never have claimed, not sure what score is on that, and quite frankly never would.

Let's face it we don't do this for the money. Personally I'd feel like a right c*nt claiming for time spent on lesson prep. etc. Next thing you'll be claiming for time spent ironing kit, polishing boots, or even packing your kit away in a bag. Still each to his/her own I guess.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Is that One and Fourpence a day or a farthing a day? (Just showing my age!)

5. Anyone know what CILOR stands for ??? guessing it means Cash In Lieu Of Rations.

Looks like my troop is going to have to suffer my cooking, and note to self to add Jamie Oliver Italy book to packing list!

6. Contribution In Lieu Of Rates - a means of ensuring that everybody pays some form of Council Tax.

7. Polar,
    Anyone know what CILOR stands for ??? guessing it means Cash In Lieu Of Rations.

Looks like my troop is going to have to suffer my cooking, and note to self to add Jamie Oliver Italy book to packing list!

You guessed right. Good luck!

8. Of course, anyone in the regular army would happily do the whole thing for free.....

my arrse.

If you are at a sufficient stage in your TA career to be in a position to spend any discernable personal time carrying out administrative tasks for the good and benefit of your unit, then OF COURSE you put in for extra pay. And it's not a quarter day.....

If you spend at least 6 hours working on anything that you have been asked/told/ordered to do by the heirarchy, then it is a day's pay. Work back pro-rata according to the pay terms and conditions for half day and quarter day.

If you would happily spend time doing it for nothing, you are clearly a LOSER.

Do you think a TA Commanding Officer gets paid a quarter day's pay a week, but only if he turns up? Bollox does he/she. There is valid work to be done at all levels of the TA unit outside of your drill night hours.

CLAIM IT!

9. Claim polar , you know you want to , just to piss the pay clerk off !!!

10. Its on a different scale, far more work needs to be put into a admin order than a lesson plan. For example I spent at least an hour going thro JSP 456 - Defence Catering Manual, looking for locations of hospitals and medical centres etc, ferry timetables etc .... thats before I even got pen to paper.

11. A good example is MK1. This is designed to be studied 'during working hours' by the regular element, but of course this doesn't exist as such for the TA. I imagine YOs turning up on drill nights and then booting up the PC for a couple of hours study would go down like a bucket of cold sick, therefore it has to be done at home and should definitely be paid.

12. Pob02

14. Pob02

I do see your point regarding the workload issue, however i think we will have to agree to disagree about this issue.

In same way I would not expect an office # admin assistant in an office to try and claim extra cash/time off if they had to do extra half- hour every now and then, I would also not expect a commodities trader to complain about being up most of a night preparing a presentation to a prospective new supplier/buyer. . . they get paid more!

Extra rank does bring in extra pay, and extra responsibility.

It is late, and if I keep typing I am just going to start a ramdom rambling rant, so I'll stop, and leave this thread now. I think I have made position clearly enough though. :roll:

15. Don't get me started on that one! Yes I've got the extra responsibility but the pay :!: (have just dropped down to low pay band, so the pay increase was nearly zilch)