Do you feel as if you owe the army anything?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by The_Swede, Nov 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Talking with some of the other officers in the mess the other day, we all agreed that when we left RMAS, we were all quite indoctrinated into the idea of being an army officer, and really felt that we owed the army something; we wouldn't ask for leave that was owed to us, for example. HOwever, as the years have gone by (and there haven't even been that many), this is less and less true; as we have grown in confidence we all realise that actually it's really just a contract, we don't owe the army any favours, once we stop enjoying it, and cons outweight pros, we'll leave.

Anyone else feel like this?

2. I did. That's why I left and became a civvie GP.

3. I owe the Army a green woollen glove that I lost a few years ago but is still on my 1157. The left one, I think.

Edited for crap recall of Army Form numerical designators.

4. Possibly a great amount of TA officers at the moment, it is one thing for a regular officer to think about their career this way but i do know that TA officers are also being put under increasing pressure, never mind the odd tour and vastly increasing paperwork. They also have to look at it as a secondary career and not the past hobby, so again, when the fun has disappeared...............same question

5. Swede, dont tell your blokes that..........bad for moral big style if you think your boss has one eye on his civvies too !

6. Just got a letter from Glasgow, I owe £10k apparently!

7. I no longer feel that I owe the "Army" anything. However, I still feel that I owe my comrades, colleagues and brothers- and sisters-in-arms a great deal: more, I suspect, than I will ever pay back in my lifetime.

IF

8. a rather large boil on my arse.......

9. Absolutely. And, as you grow older and experience what it is that drives and motivates those who have never served, that feeling increases.

10. Everything and nothing.

They made me the man I am... and I like what they did. They gave me laughs I never would have had... but at the end of the day, the Army is a past life.

11. Completely - I left school aged sixteen without any qualifications. I joined the Army aged seventeen and left almost eight years later with so many academic and vocational qualifications I cannot fit them all on my CV. I also travelled the world during my service and got to try many different things that I otherwise would not have done.

Since leaving I am now in the second year of my undergraduate degree, and I am hoping to go upto Doctorate level and beyond.

In the twelve months I have been out, I have held down two part-time jobs, including one as an assistant on a scientific journal and I am also a voluntary executive in the Students Union (sounds silly, but this is where most start their political careers) and I have also backpacked around Eastern Europe.

And hopefully next year, if I get the project supervisor I want , the research I will be working on should be getting published in the British Medical Journal (the research is on improving patient complience within primary health care settings and has already received funding).

Most of the people I left school with have never even been on holiday :roll:

12. After nine years - I'd like to think that I am still a selfless individual - in that I put the troops welfare before my own.

I still get out of the army exactly what I put in.

I have gained qualifications, at no ones expense (except the tax payer)

If you feel that you owe the army notheing, you know where the door is!!

trust me, the grass is not greener on the other side

13. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

I disagree with BP20 on this one. I like to think that the scorecard is balanced - the 'Army' did improve me (in a number of ways), has trained and educated me, allowed me to meet my wife, given me numerous beer tokens etc etc.

That said, I have been on op tours (with various moments of unpleasantness/being very frightened) and exs (too cold/wet/hot etc) in some toss places, done some absoulutely sh*tty jobs (including the current one), been fobbed off with no/cr*p kit, had my wishes for my career completely ignored, had hard work unrecognised etc etc.

As far as I can see, the Army and I are quits. I am now in it for my blokes (when I get a chance to work with them again!) and there is, as ever, a possibility that even that will be taken away from me.

14. Quite right, untallguy. It's not that the Army hasn't given me anything. It's been a great career and I've learnt a huge amount and done some great stuff. But the Army's had its pound of flesh from me and I reckon we're about even.

As for the grass and its relative verdence, ask me in a couple of months.

IF

15. It was probably eaten by predatory velcro.