Do you do it more than once a night?

We've just had this in by email from a regular ARRSE user who asked that I share it with you all

......so I thought it was normal, something that comes with old age…needing to pee more often...the old stop- start…a 'badge of honour' showing my maturing years. How wrong I was!

I really didn’t want to go to the doctor’s – well, it’s embarrassing isn’t it? However, as my wife pointed out, 'If we girls give birth, have smear tests and have our boobs squashed and X-rayed, you could at least do your part!' So I was a ‘brave soldier’ and off I went for the digital examination and although I felt embarrassed, it really wasn’t that bad. They also took a blood test (PSA) to check how active the prostate cells were.

My PSA was raised. After a few months of monitoring, it continued to rise. What a shock when a biopsy showed that I had cancer! I felt normal. Looking back now I realise how lucky I was to have it picked up. At least I had a few symptoms but prostate cancer is often a silent cancer; showing NO symptoms. Some men may have a few of the following:

• Passing water more frequently – often at night.
  • Poor flow, or stop-start, even dribbling.
  • A sudden urgent need to go.
  • Pain when passing water.
  • Blood in your urine or semen.
  • Pain in the groin.
  • Inability to get or maintain an erection.
  • Pain in the lower back, spine or hips.
You can see how this may be mistaken for getting older. If you add to this the fact that there isn’t a national screening programme for prostate cancer, (even though 35,000 men are diagnosed with, and 10,000 men lose their lives to, prostate cancer every year), this means it’s down to US, each and every one of us, to make sure that prostate cancer doesn’t take us by surprise….yes, that’s YOU. It’s normally the over 50s that are at risk, so tell your friends and sons too.

27% of men, who have a nagging doubt about their prostate, won’t go to the doctors…and I know some of them are reading this. So here’s the bottom line.

1. You go to the doctors and you haven’t got prostate cancer = peace of mind, or
2. You go to the doctors and they find you have prostate cancer = start the treatment and there’s a really good chance you’ll be cured.

Me? I couldn’t be happier. I’ve had my prostate gland taken out three months ago; in one day, out the next. Where I live they offer the Da Vinci method which is a robotic procedure undertaken by a consultant ( www.davinciprostatectomy.com ). I had a catheter in for one week and then had to retrain my bladder and pelvic floor muscles. The consultant was anxious for this message to reach you out there. As he said, 'It’s heart-breaking to tell an otherwise fit 60 year old that he has terminal cancer, for the want of a simple, free test.' So if you haven’t had a test, DEMAND one, don’t be fobbed off and if you’re scared, don’t be.

But here I am, 3 months down the line, my PSA is zero; looking forward to many more glorious summers and Christmases with my family, and years of reading your spats on the ARRSE!

Hear hear, and don't forget that its young lads (20s-40s) that are more susceptible to testicular cance. Just as you're out of one high risk zone you're into another!

My doctor's a stunner and the locum GP is her sister.

To have birds like that put their finger up my bum for non-medical reasons would be seriously expensive...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have quite a few of the symptoms that are mentioned and got myself down tol the Doc for a check up. After just about draining my arm to fill up various test tubes I was sent off for x-rays also.

End result in my case was OK and the tests and x-rays were well within the norm for my age. He did offer me the internal examination and camera up the bum if I wanted but he felt that it was not necessary - I agreed! However, the tests are done and I can sleep better without worrying about the reason for needing a pee at 2 am and 4 am -I just go!

Anyone who is too embarrassed is just taking chances with their lives. If you have the slightest doubt or suspicion - get it checked out. That is one of the reasons that GPs are paid 6 figure sums. They have heard it all before, and if you are really lucky you will get a nice young female Dr (or for Jarrod male). Mind you, all the doctors look young nowadays!

Edit to add thanks to the person that contacted BCO and I hope things go well for you.

I have quite a few of the symptoms that are mentioned and got myself down tol the Doc for a check up. After just about draining my arm to fill up various test tubes I was sent off for x-rays also.

End result in my case was OK and the tests and x-rays were well within the norm for my age. He did offer me the internal examination and camera up the bum if I wanted but he felt that it was not necessary - I agreed! However, the tests are done and I can sleep better without worrying about the reason for needing a pee at 2 am and 4 am -I just go!

Anyone who is too embarrassed is just taking chances with their lives. If you have the slightest doubt or suspicion - get it checked out. That is one of the reasons that GPs are paid 6 figure sums. They have heard it all before, and if you are really lucky you will get a nice young female Dr (or for Jarrod male). Mind you, all the doctors look young nowadays!

Edit to add thanks to the person that contacted BCO and I hope things go well for you.
Worse still you may even get Jarrod!!

To have birds like that put their finger up my bum for non-medical reasons would be seriously expensive...
Depends where you live, Old Boy, depends where you live......

I recently had blood in my piss, went along to the quack, he sent me straight up to see a urologist, sent me for a CT scan. Upshot was bladder cancer. Tumour removed within a few days, I had a check up 3 months later, 2 new tumours, these also removed and 6, weekly, sessions of chemo followed. All done as day patient or overnight stay for the surgery all done via a (extra long) catheter up my knob; no scars. Just had another 3 month check up all clear, back at 3 month intervals for the first year then annually for the next 6 years.

A bit worrying at first but all in all worth the initial visit to the GP. If in doubt go and see the doc; you have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
I've had two resections done on my prostrate to improve the the flow. It does leave you a bit tender and the results are not instantaneous but it is well worth the hassle. If any of you have the symptoms do yourself and your family a favour and get it checked out asap.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Interesting use of the words "fresh" blood. Care to explain a bit further for those of us who don't know about medical things?
If you see anything that looks like blood in urine or semen see a GP. It's called frank haematuria if it's in urine or Haematospermia if in semen.
If you get fresh blood and it stops it doesn't mean the problem has gone away and could be watered down by urine, so a dipstick test will show if there is still blood in urine, don't think because you can't see it that the problem has gone.
Sometimes can be nothing but also can be indicative of bladder cancer.

If you see anything that looks like blood in urine or semen see a GP. It's called frank haematuria if it's in urine or Haematospermia if in semen.
If you get fresh blood and it stops it doesn't mean the problem has gone away and could be watered down by urine, so a dipstick test will show if there is still blood in urine, don't think because you can't see it that the problem has gone.
Sometimes can be nothing but also can be indicative of bladder cancer.
Absolutly, see my last post above. I had blood in my piss a couple of times over the course of an afternoon at work it then stopped. I went to the GP a couple of weeks later and mentioned it, there had been no reoccurence but the tumour was still there.

Get it checked out if it's nothing all well and good; if there is a problem it can be easily dealt with once it is found

I was fortunate in having a switched on GP( ex RAMC) who did not like the look of a repeated bladder infection, sent to consultant, biopsies and a scan, 2 days later in for prostate removal, six separate tumours of an aggressive type, huge scar from belly button to pelvis, black and blue k-nackers for six weeks but still kicking 9 years later, so heed the good advice given on here at the age of 53 I still felt invulnerable.

I passed two mahoosive blood clots 6 years ago - went straight to the doctors and within weeks I was operated on for bladder cancer.

Fortunately it hadn't gone through the bladder wall but the chemo and radiotherapy have reduced my bladder to about a quarter of its proper size. Upshot is I have a camera up the willy every 6 months and (touch wood) I am still in remission. I did have a scare on the last visit when they found a calcified tumour but it turned out to be benign.

Because of the size of my bladder I haven't slept through the night since the operation, the longest stretch of good sleep has been about 4 hours, but I'm OK with that because I'm still around. :)

I haven't passed any bIood clots since the first time so if you do pass blood get yourself to the quack straight away, otherwise you might not be around to tell the tale

D

Djelli Beybii

Hmmm..this thread has got me thinking.
I've been shitting rather loosely lately, and when wiping there's occasionally Blood on the paper.
Now, is it down to the fact that I'd been on the piss for 2 days or is the blood the first sign of Piles?

My GP is an asian bloke who's built like a Brick shithouse :(