Do you agree that US mass media mainly produce fake disgusting news?

Do you agree that US mass media mainly produce fake disgusting news?

• Absolutely

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Mainly

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Rather agree

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Disagree

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • US MSM are unbiased, fair, truthseeking news sources

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It depends what you are talking about. Some news is unpolitical: a house burns down, there's an accident on this or that street, etc.
Other news can be political, or be pushed for a political agenda. The question here is, who decides which stories to highlight and which to ignore or downplay?
The case of the POTUS is a good example of this: in general terms parts of the US press appear to dislike him intensely. This means that they will publish almost anything that's anti-Trump. However, the same press arguably let Obama off the hook on the general issue of his not really engaging with a number of big problems, notably in foreign affairs. However, the media went for Clinton when he was embroiled in a smoking-related scandal.
Given a big enough news story, the press will attack anyone. Is the media trying to go to town on Trump? Yes.

Last edited:

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I would believe pretty much any MSM or even Aldridge Prior over trump’s deranged wafflings.

I think a better question would be 'The population of which country is most likely to be subjected to government sponsored fake news'
Then provide a list of countries as you see fit.

Or maybe go for

'Which country has a free press, able to criticise its political leaders, without fear of retribution'. Provide list as before.

Both better questions by far. Dare to give them a go?

It depends what you are talking about. Some news is unpolitical: a house burns down, there's an accident on this or that street, etc.
It is a fair remark. I meant (and from the context itis clear) political news and political analysis in MSM.

I think all news outlets "flavour" their news reports depending on their political views. Even those agencies like the BBC who are an independent organisation often publish articles reflecting what they think the public should know.

I think the real issue with fake news is where people want to convince the general public to vote in certain ways during election campaigns and suchlike.

Various organisations are using fake news and some very sophisticated methods to achieve results they want in elections etc.

There are also several state actors devoting large resources to doing the same. Russia is probably the most profligate in this field but given how events are working out in the world, I'd say they are having quite a lot of success.

I think a better question would be 'The population of which country is most likely to be subjected to government sponsored fake news'
Anyway it is not the UK as Mail, Sun, Star, Express are not state sponsored.
MSM is an important resource in struggle for power.
In countries like Russia MSM are under control of ruling corrupted regime.
In the USA MSM are mainly under direct or indirect control of political establishment that hope to return to power also using MSM.

I'm sure they've all got their sticky little fingers in that particular American pie. Just to show Tsar Vlad they are the boys who can do as he bids.

Anyway it is not the UK as Mail, Sun, Star, Express are not state sponsored.
MSM is an important resource in struggle for power.
In countries like Russia MSM are under control of ruling corrupted regime.
In the USA MSM are mainly under direct or indirect control of political establishment that hope to return to power also using MSM.
And you're definitely not on Vlad's payroll.

Thanks for clearing that up.

It is a fair remark. I meant (and from the context itis clear) political news and political analysis in MSM.
Russian press is utterly corrupt, as you freely admit. Western press have their own agendas and print what their readership wants to hear. They lie by omission. Is it fake news? No, I don't think it is. Are they manipulating the facts to fit their readerships prejudices? Of course they are, advertising revenue depends on it.

You haven't got a "I really coudn't give a toss what some idiot from Russia thinks" option.

Most of the US mass media don't even purport to be in the news business. In relation to those that are: there are some pretty loopy outfits claiming to be "news" providers, & there will always be a certain amount of ineptitude, bias, trivialities & clickbaity bumf in those that are genuine, but the answer is still no. Many news organisations should reduce the level of punditry-based filler material though. I think that when the"opinion" section of your publication/programme/whatever is more prominent than the "news" section, you're doing it wrong.

Latest Threads