Do we need more Chinese takeaways

Am I being naive in thinking that the CCP would make a move on Hong Kong at some stage, one county two systems sounds good in theory but the CCP was always going to make a move on Hong Kong sooner or later

The CCP are now applying pressure to gain leverage in their quest for greater economic and political power, Hong Kong is just the latest ploy especially when the worlds attention is diverted with the Co-Vid 19.

Do we have the room in the country to accept 3 million Hong Kong citizens and dependants, Boris seems to thinks so

Archie

Why not, just as long as we get the ladies - just like a take away menu!

Brothel_price_sign_for_various_nationalities_on_Soy_St.,_HK.JPG

Yokel

LE
Would Hong Kong business people, such as the financial sector, prefer to stay under the Communist system or would they prefer to relocate to the West and set up shop there?

How much Hong Kong manufacturing could be relocated?

I am guessing that if Hong Kong had mineral riches than Beijing would not have agreed to the two system arrangement post 1997?

I thought a great Many had already emigrated to Canada
and are doing rather well
They basically took over a town just north of Toronto, even the street name signs are in English and Chinese. There are two takeaways local to me, one run by a mainlander and other by a chap from HK, the HK one is run extremely well, clean, polite service, excellent food. The mainland one is dirty, lower quality food, and the owner is a shouty no speaky engrish when convenient to him. In Canada the two groups seem to keep separate and HK crowd seem to prosper more due to the fact they have a different mentality.

philc

LE
No objections from me, said so else where, hard working entrepreneurs most likely bringing fair sums of money, an asset in the main.

Can we send over 3 Million of our wasters in exchange?

I'd quite happily accept them on the assumption they meet the legal requirements we impose at the Border. What we don't want is mass uncontrolled immigration not matter where it originates.

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I'd rather have industrious Hong Kong folk rocking up than those from the mid east, Africa or the Afghan who's 'cultural enrichment' and lack of success I find a burden.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
weve just been posted a leaflet for a Turkish place which delivers MEZE yahoo.
When I say Turkish that could mean any illegal ethnic group of a swarthey type but not the Irish .

The upside of this is the the old Chinese gaffers who ran a good takeaway aint so keen to head back now.
I used have a takeaway whose quality was cyclic. Wong1 took over, food crap, built it up to decent scoff, made a mint, retired back to HK. Wong2 took over, food crap, built it up, make lots of dosh, off back home. Wong3 - yep, rinse and repeat.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
The upside of this is the the old Chinese gaffers who ran a good takeaway aint so keen to head back now.
I used have a takeaway whose quality was cyclic. Wong1 took over, food crap, built it up to decent scoff, made a mint, retired back to HK. Wong2 took over, food crap, built it up, make lots of dosh, off back home. Wong3 - yep, rinse and repeat.
Blame the first guy, he was clearly the 'wong1' to be running the business....

Latest Threads