Do we need a UK Defence Force/reserve?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Apr 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unlike most countries in Europe we don't have a reserve (/primary) for the defence of the UK. Should a force be established to do this, structured like the Territorial Force of old?

The TA could continue in its role of supplying temporary/casual labour to the main Army and the TF could fill the gap in our defences or should we rely on the remainder of Europe to protect our borders, surely the French can defend us?

2. When I joined (1991 before the cracks start!) we were Home Defence.

Times have moved on I think. We struggle to support one part time reserve. We struggle to maintain a regular army. How are we going to manage this?
    Of course there is always that high profile, heavily supported thing called CCRF...

3. yes, but lets start by funding the regs properly, then move on to other things.

Ski.

4. They can't even defend Paris!

5. But what would be the role of a UK defence force?

Defend us from the Russains?

Anything needing an armed responce within the UK is provided by the armed police, not a section of squadies.

6. How many armed officers are there?

If something to the extent that required this type of responce happened how many plod are going to show?

7. From the thread title, I thought this question was about whether we should scrap the Army entirely, like Costa Rica: remember those articles last year about the British Army now being too small to constitute an army and having to be redesignated the British Defence Force?

Polar's actual question is a good one, though. Just as a man creates a vacancy when he marries his mistress, Blighty has created a vacancy for a reserve (properly so called) by using its reserve the whole time.

8. Bring back the Home Service Force!

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

No, we don't, as there is no conceivable threat to justify one. What we need is a fully-funded Army, and a Reserve to support them. We do not need anyone to fall in when the russkies are threatening us, anymore than we need CCRFs.

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Maybe I'm a bit out of touch. I thought the role of the TA was not just home defence. After all, there were many TA units that were earmarked to go straight to BOAR if it went belly up during the cold war. These units got the same kit as the regs, when the regs got it and got much bigger budgets for training.

If I'm not mistaken, the TA is indeed a reserve fighting force that can be called upon to fight both in the UK and abroad as needed. It is a reserve army in all but name anyway.

I can't see another force with another name being raised that would operate any differently to how it is done now - apart from 'Reservists' that is.

11. msr

msr LE

It was...

msr

12. Paris for your holidays, 1 million wehrmacht can't be wrong......

13. I know that most of the TA Signal units are part of 2 Sig Bde and their role is predominantly UK Ops i.e. support in times of terrorist attacks, foot & mouth, famine, flood pestilence etc etc. as well as being able to augment the regular army on tours and the like.

Was this the sort of defence force you had in mind??

14. I stopped from going that far, your right why do we need an army. If anyone was coming for us they'd have the entire EU to get through first (hence the french remark.. they are the last line of defence before the UK and Eire).

How many units do we have for the defence of the UK, 2 Sig Bde who's main role is to provide a large composite Sig Sqn. So is the remainder solely to implement foreign policy?

15. ....and it's really interesting.........zzzZZZZ