Do we need a new Forum?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by frankie, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Yes that might be helpful.

2. What the hell is wrong with the one we have

3. No

4. I look at The Staff College Forum

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bearing in mind the majority of the posts here come from pre-RCB/ACIO/CC guys who are wanting advice, does this forum really deserve the title ' Officers', or should a new forum entitled 'Future Officers' or even 'Wanna Join' be better suited. If not, is there a call to, at least, split the forum to incorporate both desires.

On the plus side this option may lead to the freeing up of the officers thread for non CC/RCB requests.

For the record the Staff College forum does not fit the medium.

Poll added in hindsight
  2. Fine idea. How about a poll?
  3. I think a new forum is an outstanding idea. Maybe it could be called "Pubeless, Chinless Rodneys".
  4. A poll added.
  5. I voted for the top option.

That said, some of the utter mongs (that G_B has in mind, clearly) that we get on here would just end up spilling their rubbish over even more of the site, so perhaps it's best just to lump them all together in 'Officers' and let the Mods sort them out.

And 'JSCSC et al' is not purely an officers' forum - it's for pretty much any sort of serious discussion about doctrine, process, planning etc etc - core business!

I can see why you added it as an option, though, Frankie!
  6. I do see what you are saying DD, however, i think there is a distinction between the Officer's forum, the Staff College forum and, a potentially new forum, vis-a-vis potential officers/CC personnel. To that end i thought that a poll with the option of Staff College was a valid choice. I stand to be corrected though.

7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

We've discussed this before and I am strongly against the idea. The benefit that is gained from this forum is that POs and YO's can access the accumulated wisdom of the crusty old mo'fos who have been there, seen it, done it and possibly acquired the t-shirt. Many of the aforementioned crusty mo'fos wouldn't bother to look at a board entirely directed at potential officers and it would thus lose their accumulated wisdom, becoming instead a babel of hysterical adolescent rumour. Whilst having their own board might make our PO's feel 'special', in reality it wouldn't be of any benefit to them.
  8. msr

msr LE

Could you not put PO advice on a wiki page?

9. The virtual Officers Mess allows people to act as they mould normally in the mess: either a) ignore the subbies or b) growl at them or c) pass on a gem or two. It is just like a normal mess but with less casual violence.

I vote for No.
  10. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Wise words senior subby!
  11. This is why they have their own "SPECIAL" forum here
  12. Not to fragment the debate but, the officers' thread has split into green and career matters (OJARs etc) and officer lifestyle (London club & restaurant guide, dapper clothing etc.) perhaps we could separate along those lines? I do agree that there should be a separate thread for potential officers and questions on the Factory.
  13. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

For all the reasons given by cpunk, the answer is no.