Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

• WE ARE HEADED THAT WAY

• IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

• Total voters
Please listen to the Audio before voting.
Does the Left still care about Liberty? At what point does a democracy become a Police State?
David Davis, the Former Shadow Home Secretary speaking just a few weeks ago.
The audio clip is about 12 minutes long and fundamentally it's pretty strong stuff when you consider this isn't some tin foil hat wearer but is the former Shadow Home Sec. talking!
Are we living in a Police State?
If the answer is yes, what point is breaking point for the British public?
Or is lambs to the slaughter now as Joe public has been ground down into submission?

Audio link HERE

yes

Yes, and it's quite worrying - I've never before seen so many people in public meetings and in the national media talking about how our freedom is being curtailed.

:wink:

parapauk said:
Yes, and it's quite worrying - I've never before seen so many people in public meetings and in the national media talking about how our freedom is being curtailed.

:wink:
Well done 'parapauk' - you nearly got me there, and then I saw the wink. You are an incorrigible rogue and very naughty!

Not yet, but that is the way we are headed. People do still have free speach and nobody is being disapeared, yet. But the masssive monitoring (but not joined up, yet), loads of petty rules and the banning of so much, it might just be a matter of time.

Not yet but it is inevitable.

It has already been deemed that the best way to control the masses is to watch their every move and provide evidence that we all need to be kept in check. With 24 hour surveillance via several means it will destroy most alibi's for those who would lie to the state.

Privacy is the last great freedom I believe we have and its already being invaded daily. You either accept it or move to The Congo.

At the moment we (the masses) are resisting it but it is only a matter of time before the decision is made for us, for our safety. :roll:

Near as dammit, yes.

Closet_Jibber said:

It has already been deemed that the best way to control the masses is to watch their every move and provide evidence that we all need to be kept in check. With 24 hour surveillance via several means it will destroy most alibi's for those who would lie to the state.

Privacy is the last great freedom I believe we have and its already being invaded daily. You either accept it or move to The Congo.

At the moment we (the masses) are resisting it but it is only a matter of time before the decision is made for us, for our safety. :roll:
I don't think it is inevitable. Hopefully the people can only be pushed so far.

StickyEnd said:
Closet_Jibber said:

I don't think it is inevitable. Hopefully the people can only be pushed so far.
Tosh - We are weak. We roll over and accept any old crap our government throws at us. Atleast the Frogs have the Stones to kick up a fuss when they're not happy. The real Brits (The hard working old fashioned British Man and his family) are all seeing the light and doing the sensible thing.

Buying the next ticket out of here.

Closet_Jibber said:
Tosh - We are weak. We roll over and accept any old crap our government throws at us. Atleast the Frogs have the Stones to kick up a fuss when they're not happy. The real Brits (The hard working old fashioned British Man and his family) are all seeing the light and doing the sensible thing.

Remember the poll tax, the fuel protests and the Ghurka campaign?

It would be interesting to see what freedoms & liberties have been suppressed between now & 1998, a sort of spot the difference from when Labour first came to power.

-DC

StickyEnd said:
Closet_Jibber said:

The last possibly the very last time this country gianed a spine, and it was a good crack. Though I dont remember too many protesters sueing the rozzers for injuries?

I am content to sacrifice a degree of personal privacy, in order to make the streets safer or to make the detection of crime easier. I am not particularly bothered about the government scanning my email or telephone communications, capuring my image on CCTV or asking me to prove my identity. That is because I have nothing to hide. I know that sounds like a cliche, but it really is the best way of putting it. I think some of the ani-terrorism measures in central London are sometimes clumsily enforced by individual police officers, but that is usually down to poor personal judgment, rather than senior command decisions or government control.

I am happy that because of interference with my civil liberties, terrorist acts are prevented and serious crime is detected. I am even happy that automatic number plate recognition catches road tax dodgers and covert surveillance catches out insurance and benefit cheats.

If we are living in a Police State, it is quite an agreeable one.

Dashing_Chap said:
It would be interesting to see what freedoms & liberties have been suppressed between now & 1998, a sort of spot the difference from when Labour first came to power.

-DC
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1199839/Government-passed-crime-laws-says-senior-judge.html

Labour has created more than 3,500 crimes since it gained power in 1997, more than 1,200 of them through full-scale primary parliamentary legislation.
The party of the people!

StickyEnd said:
I'm fairly sure nulab introduced rafts of new laws to prevent fuel protests of that kind ever happening again.

We are defo heading for a Police state. I'd love us to get a government that would get rid of all the petty, spiteful, pointless legislation introduced by nulab. Chances of that happening though, IMO are zero, even with Dave as PM :(