Do we have Flamethrowers in our inventory?

Just appeared on Reddit, someone in US military wants a flamethrower, and apparently they have an NSN for them

Screenshot_2019-03-24-14-15-46.png

Very limited use nowadays as Protocol III of the Geneva Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons prohibits the use of incendiary weapons on people. You can, however, use them to clear foliage.
Napalm also banned, has been for years.

Very limited use nowadays as Protocol III of the Geneva Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons prohibits the use of incendiary weapons on people. You can, however, use them to clear foliage.
IF that foliage was cover for a enemy bunker or die hard celtic supporter would protocol III be flexible.

On Pond Jump West we were staying in a tented camp at one point that had been provided with a number of extinguishers that looked like this to deal with grass fires.

1553440830546.png

One bloke per platoon (oddly enough the thickest Private in each platoon) were 'selected' to be the flame thrower operators for the field firing and spent an entire evening being beasted round the camp by a couple of corporals learning the 'tactical employment of the flame thrower' with actions on, stoppage drills and all sorts.

One of the best wind ups I had ever seen. Our platoon's fully trained 'flame thrower operator' was actually really upset afterwards when he found out he wasn't going to be allowed to set half the prairie on fire.

I have a Churchill crocodile tank in BF V :)

I had one handed in at the police station where I was on the firearms licensing team.

Someone's grandad had been an enthusiastic weapon thief during his 1940s service.

The guy had a Transit full of weapons; Sten, Bren, PIAT, No. 4's, Browning 9mm, grenades, and to top it off, a Lifebouy flamethrower.

Caused quite a stir.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We tried to get them on Herrick 10 but were unable to - instead we had to burn a few miles of dense foilage either side of a main route with sticks and a liberal sprinkling of petrol.

It took ages.

Then of course, there was the "PUT IT OUT!" shout when the fire, now roaring along nicely, was consuming not just foliage and shrub, but also the odd 'field' or two where the homeowner was growing things like bamboo, etc.

Then being sent into the middle of it to put it out with eh, a shovel.

Fucksake.

ugly

LE
I'd be surprised if we still had them on the shelf past 1960

Not against Military targets it isn't, but against Civvie ones yes since 1980

We tried to get them on Herrick 10 but were unable to - instead we had to burn a few miles of dense foilage either side of a main route with sticks and a liberal sprinkling of petrol.

It took ages.

Then of course, there was the "PUT IT OUT!" shout when the fire, now roaring along nicely, was consuming not just foliage and shrub, but also the odd 'field' or two where the homeowner was growing things like bamboo, etc.

Then being sent into the middle of it to put it out with eh, a shovel.

Fucksake.
Had a Lt set fire to some cardboard and other garbage in Baghdad (''to deny concealment for IED's") and when it spread to a farmers fields, he took out our case of bottled water and threw it on the fire like it would douse it. The Cpt always checked the Lt after that for matches and a lighter before leaving the wire

Frankly I'm surprised that the yanks don't have loads of these because of their "Right To Bear Arms" mindset, Also that we haven't heard yet of one being used to carry out one of their "going postal" killing sprees...

Frankly I'm surprised that the yanks don't have loads of these because of their "Right To Bear Arms" mindset, Also that we haven't heard yet of one being used to carry out one of their "going postal" killing sprees...

FFS man,... don't go putting ideas into their collective dense brains, its bad enough they have limited access to military style hardware, can you imagine what carnage a southern red neck would cause in a shopping mall with a flame thrower............... Just heard, the NZ PM has outlawed automatic firearms, guns included ,they are all to be handed in, the NZ government has allocated millions of dollars for a buy back scheme. The Australians done the same thing after the port Arthur massacre in 1996.

If the Anzac's can do it ..............

Last edited:
Argies never decanted it from the drums to the drop canisters though (and it is still legal for Military targets)

I recall an interview in 1991 with a US armourer (I assume*) Harriers** were being loaded with 'an incendiary device" to ignite oil filled trenches /tank traps

It sticks in the mind as he was going to great lengths to avoid saying Napalm and only reluctantly conceded it was when asked directly is it Napalm

*As I recall he was arming the aircraft - but it could have been an officer with the armourer in the back ground - its pushing 30 yrs ago details get fuzzy.

**Erm Harrier - I suppose he was probably a Marine Technician rather than airman

Youd have to be pretty tough or nuts to walk around in a firefight with 5 gallons of pressurised petrol on your back.