Do unofficial forces websites influence recruitment?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stellawifebeater, Jul 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Speaking as a civi, I would imagine ARRSE does far more good for Army recruitment and public relations than any official effort.

2. My daughter used ARRSE extensively in her personal training period in the months before she did selection and then started phase 1. The site was a major help to her, answering many questions regarding fitness and the recruitment process. It would be good if more potential recruits could be made aware of it. So yes the site had a very positive influence on her.

3. If sites like arrse can put someone off then is that person suitable for the Army?

4. My only fear is thatmany posters left decades ago and their views on race etc reflect those times, not todays.

Apart from that it is an excellent site.

5. Just check how many questions are asked in the training wing by potential recruits, a lot of them say that they can't get info via offical sources. There's a fair few serving soldiers who have been helped on their way by the folks of ARRSE. Is this a case for the MoD to start a 'live' online careers office?

6. There is one, but I am too lazy to find the link.........

7. Iv been thinking about joining as an officer for some time now and had previously found it difficult to find much useful information untill I stumbled upon this site. Reading what others have posted when replying to questions has been helpful, hopefully someone will answer my questions soon.

8. deleted

9. The Naafi Bar has a bloody great notice on the front door.

The posts in the Training Wing, Boards by Arm and elsewhere more than re-balance any offence someone might feel.

Unless they're a journalist on a sh*tstir of course. Something which has happened on remarkably few occasions.

What we have had on a great many occasions, as positive reports originating from Arrse topics, that attract potential recruits to find out more.

Numerous people have arrived, posted and joined. Some had it in mind before, and Arrse helped them with the nitty-gritty questions that a recruiter might be loathe to answer , some have decided to join as a result of Arrse , because they'd like to be a part of what they read about.

The overall impression of the Army that any visitor to Arrse gets, unless they're looking for the controversial, is positive.

10. Surely people who dont like the humour are better staying civves on the outside anyway ??, Im ex Crab and think the unofficial sites give a balanced view of each service. I had a good look around here and E-Goat before I registered. Personally I prefer the Army sense of humour here to what I see on E-Goat, (but I would still rather check in than dig in)

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Spot on PTP.

Arrse certainly influenced my decision to join although I was 80-85% there before I found the site.

Depends on your mind-set I think. I had pretty much made up my mind that TA Officer was what I wanted to do but Arrse, with much advice and help certainly confimed that my choice was a good one.

Also made some bloody good contacts and some true friends in real life. People that went out of their way to help me (and they know who they are).

12. PTP check PM's

13. I'd humbly agree with PTP above; this is a positive place.

Did it influence my decision to try to get back in? Maybe.

Having a great laugh on the ARRSE, reading about others, some even older and less fit than me, also struggling to get back into shape and do their bit... it must have had a positive influence somewhere. The friendly tone, outrageous humour, foul stories, it's all just so.... *sniff*

Sorry, tissues obtained and under control now. ARRSE may not have saved my life, but it is a Good Thing, and fills in some of the gaps left by the system.