Do the RAMC use QuikClot?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Gundulph, Dec 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are the British Military using QuikClot? and if so, what are your Professional opinions/experiences in using it? the reason I ask is that I work in the Mine Clearance side of life, the Americans are praising it big time in that it was paramount in saving many Gi's lives during the Iraq Conflict and in Iraq since then. Should we carry packs of these in our Trauma Kits? can the substance cause blood clots due to its rapid co-agulation properties? I found this Sales Pitch on it, but I would prefer to hear what the RAMC's thoughts are on it before purchasing any packs:

The effectiveness of QuikClot brand hemostatic agent has been proven in extensive testing at the University of Connecticut , Hartford Hospital , the U.S. Marine War Fighting Lab, the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS), and the Office of Naval Research (ONR). And it's currently available for military and first-responder organizations such as fire, rescue, police, and Emergency Medical Services.

QuikClot brand hemostatic agent speeds coagulation of blood, even in large wounds, through a very simple process: It physically adsorbs the liquid from blood, thereby concentrating the clotting factors and encouraging rapid clotting to stop the bleeding.

QuikClot brand hemostatic agent is different from similar products in that it is chemically inert, and therefore is safe to leave in or on the wound until the patient receives medical treatment. Furthermore, since it contains nothing biological or botanical, there is little or no danger of an allergic reaction.

Thank You for any thoughts.

2. Quickclot is in use by Medics in Iraq at present, although it is controlled on who has it to use!

never seen it in action yet but heard its good, however don't try and eat it! 8O
  3. :D I'll take on board your advice...

The Sales Pitch Video of it apparently shows a pig that has had it's femoral artery cut through, a pack of QuikClot is then poured onto said pig and it stops the bleeding! surely a product with this power should be in every Soldiers webbing? it would certainly save the life of a deminer at least to sustain him until he can be cleared out to and carried to the safe area where an advanced trauma trained medic is waiting, bearing in mind all deminers are fully trained in 1st Aid response, but as loss of bleeding is usually huge and very quick, the QuikClot Product sounds ideal for the job?
  4. Loads of us were given USMC med pouches when we were attached to them on Telic 1. they swear by it. Thankfully never saw it in action.

PS its a top med pack!
  5. Nicked some off the septics for telic an absolute treat on non-threatening shrapnel wounds (shoulders and thighs)...didnt use whole packet but sprinkled over numerous deep wounds....then followed basic dressings etc...

Yanks said that it would stop a arterial bleed! (Never saw it done myself but a brit medic in alAmara said it did)

Next best kit was tampons... for deep wounds and GSW ....used on shrapnel thigh wounds and bum wounds
  6. Quikclot stopping a femoral artery bleed!! I find that very hard to believe, the pressure of the bleed would blow it straight off unless of course the pig had been bleeding for a while and was nearly dead anyway.

Would you trust your average squaddie to have something like that in his kit?
  7. Should probably issed as the USMC do.

It comes in one of the pouches that fits direct on to their kit. Everyone wears it in the same place etc etc and the medics know exactly where to find it.

Best kit in the right place at the right time.

We best keep dreaming.
  8. It does sound the business, and if it can do what it states it can then it can be done a lot quicker than normal and without the stress that if a 3rd Field Dressing isn't stopping the bleeding then the pressure points need to be applied to, which as most of you know isn't as easy as your training makes out! especially the femoral, much more awkward and difficult to apply to than the Brachial or Radial Pressure Points; I think the use of QuikClot would also help the younger and less experienced Soldier to cope with a situation that a deep wound bleeding causes, they would be a lot more confident at being able to stop the bleeding no matter what.
  9. sounds great, but probably costs a fortune, HM Govt will wait until a cheaper less effective version hits the market.
  10. Filbert, Yes as unbelievable as it sounds that is exactly what they are claiming hence part of the reason I am asking for your Professional thoughts on the Product and it's capabilities and potential downside or even hazards? the speed at which it co-agulates the blood, could this in turn cause clotting deeper inside the body? if it doesn't then it is definitely worth having in the Medical 'Toolbox' IMHO.
  11. Why don't we just get the research conducted by the yanks instead of wasting loads of money doing our own.

I am confident they would have tested it first!
  12. For a "Battle" Pack consisting of the following: One package of Quick Clot, two Cotton bandage rolls, one Cinch-tight compression bandage, and an instruction sheet, all packed in a heavy duty Condura nylon bag that is 100% MOLLE / BALCS / FSBE / SPEARS compatible.

It is around the $45 mark, which isn't a lot considering it could be the difference between life and death in a combat situation, it could also place the combat medic in the line of fire for less time, possibly? your more experienced thoughts on that? the USMC bought 50,000 of these Battle Packs for Iraq at probably a lot less than $45 per pack, if a Soldier can be trusted to carry a weapon and ammunition then he or she can surely be trusted to carry a pack of QuikClot?! maybe per section the Section Commander and 2 i/c and Team Medic could carry them at the very least.
  13. I heared about £15 a pop.........
  14. IMHO sucking chest wounds are worth dodging the bullets for.........but drag the arterial bleeds into cover to secure your own safety first...they're too much nonsense to face in the 'heat of battle'