Do the army pay for moving pets abroad on an overseas posting

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by newbiefollower, Jul 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I have had a look online and through this forum and cannot seem to find the answer. I know that if posted overseas...say Nepal? will the Army foot the bill for the transport of pets to the new location. I know they will pay for wives/husbands and kids.

Any information of a JSP reference would be great, thanks in advance!
  2. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

No, they don't. Movement of pets is at private expense. I can try and dig a JSP ref out tomorrow but it will still say no.
  3. No, I took my dog to Canada. It cost about £1100 each way.
  4. Thats great, so if you get a posting abroad can you turn it down based on that expense? as you mentioned 1100 each way is abit excessive to be forced to pay.
  5. Hahahahahahaha
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I would say no. Even in the UK you are meant to apply for permission to have cats and dogs in your qtr which they could turn down. So why would they let you pic your posting because you have a pet.

The need of the service comes first. With the need of the family a close second.
  7. So now that my nuts are old news, it's the cost of shipping Labradors to Labrador that's the 'hot topic' is it ?
  8. as has been said, NO the system won't pay for your pets

look at it this way - whats more important? your mutts or your family (if thats yer case)

i know a lad who moaned, cried and drooled coz he got told 'lose the dog's or lose the germany posting'

TBH i'd rather take the dog, it gives out more and drools over my monkey !!!!
  9. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

1. You go where you're told, when you are told.

2. You can try saying you do not want the assignment and it might work but if not, I refer you to point 1 above.

3. It's the Army, not a holiday rep company.

4. You can put your disturbance allowance (DA) towards the cost of moving your pet. Will DA cover it all and other costs incurred by moving ? No.

5. I refer you back to point 1 above.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app
    • Like Like x 3
  10. You stand your ground petal! If they won't pay for mr snuggles to fly first class to that once in a lifetime experience for a 3 year posting to somewhere fantastic then you tell them to poke it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. FFS. You do realise you are in the military don't you?
  12. I can't believe this! It must be a Wah! Why don't you volunteer to be one of those about to lose their careers?
  13. Just kill the cnuting thing and get it stuffed/mounted and take it with you......seemples.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. +1
  15. This is one of these threads I am glad I wasnt drinking my Tea at the time of reading or I would have to clean my keyboard and screen.