Do the Americans understand what is meant by "terrorism"?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brevet, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Linky: In-flight confrontations can lead to terrorism charges - latimes.com

Another post on the Boston bombing highlighting the very wide definition of WMD being adopted by the US has had much discussion. On a similar note, the ability to convict a foul mouthed mother under pressure for an act of terrorism suggests that our cousins across the water have yet to get an appreciation of scale. Is it:

a) the idiocy of the US legal system;
    b) a poor grasp of the reality of terrorism; or
    c) something really subtle that we have not grasped ourselves?

2. Do the Americans understand what is meant by "terrorism"?

No, next question.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Terror is an emotion! Next question.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Correct! The Americans do not understand because they live in their own paranoia bubble where every act of the slightest aggression and/or disagreement is construed as against the State, ergo, terrorism.

Americans - stupider than a stupid West Country idiot on a stupid day. (other areas of the UK are available)

5. Why did the flight attendent feel the need to 'confront' the woman? As I read it the kids were acting up and got a slap on the legs. If the mum was sloshed maybe the airlines need to review their policy on serving alcohol- it seems many people can't be trusted.
    However it didn't say that this was the case, so did the flight attendent decide to interfere and, instead of cleaning up the spilled drink, give a lecture on parenting skills? Whatever, she / he got the mum three months in nick, she / he must be proud.

6. Didn't stop them supporting terrorism in NI though. Or at the very least turning a blind eye.

7. Couple of random people of a certain religion kill three people with bombs and shoot a copper and it's terrorism, the (surviving) culprit's rights are abridged and it's the end of the world. On the same day or the day after a bloke walks into his place of work/school/bank, shoots half a dozen people and terrorizes the rest and no one's particularly interested.

8. My point of stupidity covers this. They are so insular it is embarrassing. As an Irish man, I find it hard to understand that whilst they are grief whoring over Boston, they have no concept of the harm and suffering that they were contributing to when the buckets were being passed along the street.

• Like Like x 4
  9. And I'm sure the children are chuffed to bits with the outcome.

10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you should ask the labour party why they introduced sweeping and frequently abused police police powers which charged a conference heckler with terrorism and those two girls with bollox to blair tshirts.

11. Their country was founded on terrorism, so they used to understand it.........

• Like Like x 2
  12. Im very wary when travelling in US airports with my kids as we have had a few problems with airport security. My son has autism and on one occasion decided that he really didnt want to go through the barrier and just wanted to look at the planes on the ground so he ran like Bolt himself up the stairs to the viewing platform.
    I explained about his problem and was told in no uncertain terms not to cross the barrier, but what stood out was they had hands on holsters ready to use !!! It took the bugger`s about 5mins to chase him down and hand him back to me, i could have got him back in 10seconds. But when they asked him if he was going to do it again he just said yes because he didnt get to see the planes.
    Now the same thing happened at the other end in the UK explained what the problem was and i was given leave to get him without a problem and no one wanting to shoot my kid, if someone gonna shot the little bugger its gonna be me.

Most of them are too gungho and never use the grey matter.

13. Grumblegrunt

they should its been part of their world brief ever since

14. Grumblegrunt

15. Came in handy when that Icelandic bank went tits up. Nothing like a bit of arbitrary loosely worded bit of legislation awarding dictatorial powers. The Brits are actually far worse in this respect than the Septics who at least have some grasp of the concept of rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.