Do soldiers need more direct fire explosive firepower?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by IndependentBoffin, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I'm an independent inventor who has several patents, mostly on military technologies. I would like some feedback from soldiers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan whether there is a need for more pointable firepower.

For example, I was recently told by a mid-level RAF officer that grenade launchers were fitted to the SA80 rifles in Afghanistan, where engagement ranges of around 5m in jungles were surprisingly common. The grenade launchers apparently are effective even at such short ranges, although he didn't elaborate whether it was because one could shoot someone directly with the 40mm grenade to knock them down (some 40mm grenades have an arming range of 23m), or if you could shoot close to them if the grenade doesn't have a safe arming distance.

So may I please ask if soldiers on the ground need more explosive weapons that everyone can equip, are lightweight (no more than 1.5kg), have multiple rounds between reloads, have decent range (say up to 200m) and are direct fire (like LAW, rifle grenades or 40mm grenades, instead of mortars or hand grenades)?

Cheers!

2. Jungles?

3. That's what twigged your spidey sense? What about RAF Officer talking about Grenade Launchers?

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I think he means bushes.

How's about a semi-auto 8 gauge shotgun? I dunno, perhaps something like the Benelli M4 perhaps, can you make one of those? :D

In all seriousness though. What about a full-auto shotgun with a drum mag?

5. The South African "Protecta" 12 round revolving shot gun been around since the 80s

Attached Files:

6. 1.5 kg is barely above the weight of three L109 hand grenades.....

Are you thinking of a plastic revolver gun in 12bore firing Frag 12 cartridges and fitted with a miniature red -dot sight by any chance?

7. How about something like a plasma pulse rifle in, lets say the 40 watt range.

8. Could have been RAF Regiment......

What about the USMC M32 MSGL? 6 shots in 3 seconds if required, with a reflex sight. Already in use by US marines in Iraq allegedly.

9. The Russians do a 4 bore Three round rifled pump action the KS23M

Attached Files:

10. Terminator stylie i'll have 10. :D

11. Might be wrong but have frag and flechette been banned ? On the question from the "boffin" the answer must be yes,although a mid level RAF officer is probably not the best bloke to ask!! Anything that can suppress the enemy at ranges out to 200m is good, shotguns ,neat and tidy holes with maximum physhc damage to all those around the munt who gets hit :D

12. I saw something on future weapons about a grenade round for shotguns and it seemed pretty sexy, although expensive. Something like that loaded into an AA-12 appears to be the perfect solution.

13. Only aimed shots count.

14. [​IMG]

Can you make one of these badgers? now thats fire power!!