Do paras still do the balloon jump during the BPC?

I think they start with the flying caravan before getting into a Hercules these days

sent from my HTC wildfire using spackatalk, so I'm probably pissed.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I thought they had stopped doing parachute training?

The balloon has been gone now for many a long year sadly! Replaced by the Skyvan, although which order it`s done now is anyone`s guess,
In my day it was balloon at Hullavington, then clean fatigue small sims, building up to the night jump with container.

The balloon has been gone now for many a long year sadly! Replaced by the Skyvan, although which order it`s done now is anyone`s guess,
In my day it was balloon at Hullavington, then clean fatigue small sims, building up to the night jump with container.
Is the skyvan similar to jumping from a light winged aircraft? I've just googled it :p

Is the skyvan similar to jumping from a light winged aircraft? I've just googled it :p
Its basically what civi sky divers use, a box looking light aircraft.

Im not sure if thats used by the para's though, this going up from weston? Im pretty sure its ground stuff, computer stuff then straight to the Herc.

Its basically what civi sky divers use, a box looking light aircraft.

Im not sure if thats used by the para's though, this going up from weston? Im pretty sure its ground stuff, computer stuff then straight to the Herc.
That's what I'm trying to find out, I've got adsc in two weeks and hopefully PRAC not long after that want to know as much as possible about the different courses :p Any help would be appreciated.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I know little of the current training regime in the Paras but I do have a Skyvan. It is a bit like a light winged aircraft. Apart from the wings.

death-star-1.jpg

That's what I'm trying to find out, I've got adsc in two weeks and hopefully PRAC not long after that want to know as much as possible about the different courses :p Any help would be appreciated.
Im quite sure, but ready to be corrected, that the skyvan is for more advanced stuff.

Best bet is to look on the PTS website. They wont expect you to know the course before doing it, but probably more about your history knowledge of the regiment, although im not a para so thats an assumption.

RAF Brize Norton - PTS

Im quite sure, but ready to be corrected, that the skyvan is for more advanced stuff.

Best bet is to look on the PTS website. They wont expect you to know the course before doing it, but probably more about your history knowledge of the regiment, although im not a para so thats an assumption.

RAF Brize Norton - PTS
Yeah i appreciated that but I want to learn about it because I have a genuine interest as well, not really content with just learning the basics I think it's the least I can do providing I could be serving at least 4 years in airborne forces fingers crossed :)

The skyvan has been binned as the greedy **** who hires it to the MoD was taking the piss with costs. First jump is from the Herc now. Single stick clean fatigue (no equipment). Balloon was binned over a decade ago as it was seen as too costly.
The gay cnuts.

The skyvan has been binned as the greedy **** who hires it to the MoD was taking the piss with costs. First jump is from the Herc now. Single stick clean fatigue (no equipment). Balloon was binned over a decade ago as it was seen as too costly.
The gay cnuts.
No clean fatigue now fally. All done with Equipment starting from 1000 sin EQ with last jump 700 night sim EQ

The gay cnuts.
I've been watching the old 80's documentary on the paras that the bbc did and that balloon jump looks ******* horrible. I'd prefer a herc to a balloon any day :p

No clean fatigue now fally. All done with Equipment starting from 1000 sin EQ with last jump 700 night sim EQ
Glad I've done my last jump. I ******* hate parachuting.

I've been watching the old 80's documentary on the paras that the bbc did and that balloon jump looks ******* horrible. I'd prefer a herc to a balloon any day :p
You wouldn't prefer it if you were in the Regt mucker. Parachuting from a Herc is one of the biggest fuckabouts I can think of. Jumping out of the balloon was buckshee. I even did one walking back from the dentist on Queens Ave around 20 years ago.

Glad I've done my last jump. I ******* hate parachuting.

You wouldn't prefer it if you were in the Regt mucker. Parachuting from a Herc is one of the biggest fuckabouts I can think of. Jumping out of the balloon was buckshee. I even did one walking back from the dentist on Queens Ave around 20 years ago.
Why don't you like it? I would imagine it's pretty fluid when your in your queue to jump but I've still got all this to figure out :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Infantry 49
Red-On The NAAFI Bar 149
E Infantry 0