Do paras still do the balloon jump during the BPC?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by ANaylor, Feb 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Title says it all, is the balloon jump still done at Brize Norton or is it straight into the Hercules? Cheers

2. No.

3. I think they start with the flying caravan before getting into a Hercules these days

sent from my HTC wildfire using spackatalk, so I'm probably pissed.

4. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I thought they had stopped doing parachute training?

• Like Like x 1

5. You thought wrong then!:tp:

6. The balloon has been gone now for many a long year sadly! Replaced by the Skyvan, although which order it`s done now is anyone`s guess,
    In my day it was balloon at Hullavington, then clean fatigue small sims, building up to the night jump with container.

7. Is the skyvan similar to jumping from a light winged aircraft? I've just googled it :p

8. Its basically what civi sky divers use, a box looking light aircraft.

Im not sure if thats used by the para's though, this going up from weston? Im pretty sure its ground stuff, computer stuff then straight to the Herc.

9. That's what I'm trying to find out, I've got adsc in two weeks and hopefully PRAC not long after that want to know as much as possible about the different courses :p Any help would be appreciated.

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I know little of the current training regime in the Paras but I do have a Skyvan. It is a bit like a light winged aircraft. Apart from the wings.

death-star-1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Im quite sure, but ready to be corrected, that the skyvan is for more advanced stuff.

Best bet is to look on the PTS website. They wont expect you to know the course before doing it, but probably more about your history knowledge of the regiment, although im not a para so thats an assumption.

RAF Brize Norton - PTS

12. Yeah i appreciated that but I want to learn about it because I have a genuine interest as well, not really content with just learning the basics I think it's the least I can do providing I could be serving at least 4 years in airborne forces fingers crossed :)

13. The skyvan has been binned as the greedy **** who hires it to the MoD was taking the piss with costs. First jump is from the Herc now. Single stick clean fatigue (no equipment). Balloon was binned over a decade ago as it was seen as too costly.
    The gay *****.

• Like Like x 1
  14. no electronic simulator and don't even use the fan jump any more, so you go from jumping at 3 feet onto a matt to a 1000 out of the herc

15. No clean fatigue now fally. All done with Equipment starting from 1000 sin EQ with last jump 700 night sim EQ