Do paras practice amphibious assaults

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Billboard, May 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do paras practice amphibious assaults much.

2. If you mean 'watersports' then yes ;)

3. Parachutes get very wet

4. Makes the ally bush hats shrink.

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I hired a row boat to take the nipper out for half an hour at the weekend. Does that count?

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

they do, but they need to swap their ordinary parachutes for special underwater ones first.

7. only if the RAF fcku up

8. :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. actually on that point, we were "due" to take part in some water landings about 18 months ago, the usual happened. has anyone done a damp landing recently?

10. In don't cry for me Sergeant Major there is the amusing story of the RN bringing a LCU full of Paras in to land. The ramp goes down and the Cox'n shouts "Troops Out". nobody moves so he repeats himself and again and again - to no reaction. Still nobody moves. Finally a quicker witted Para SNCO shouted "Go!" at which point they all rushed off into the beachhead...

11. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I hear 3 Para Mortars are well into their 'watersports'. And they then get down to 'assaulting' each other. Does that count?

Hole, btw.

12. In my time it was an SOP that every platoon had a designated "swamper" who was responsible for all amphibious activities. IIRC they were normally conducted in the small hours with booties doing all the daylight swamping.

13. The only water assault I’ve been involved with was when I was on the floating raft in Hong Kong.
    To tell the truth she was a gorgeous blond, daughter of some WO2 RMP.
    Didn’t even get a medal for that one either.

14. Yet you have our respect...I hope you told him?