Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do opticians take the p*ss?

idlerx

Swinger
Hi - I'm 71 and have worn bifocals since I was 40. My right eye is in a much worse state than my left. I have been using Specsavers for about 7 years since Boots (ie Dollond and Aitchison) priced themselves out of the market. I like their service and its very competitive. I believe that jewellers and opticians have the highest mark-ups on the high street. Caveat emptor.

Hi - I'm 71 and have worn bifocals since I was 40. My right eye is in a much worse state than my left. I have been using Specsavers for about 7 years since Boots (ie Dollond and Aitchison) priced themselves out of the market. I like their service and its very competitive. I believe that jewellers and opticians have the highest mark-ups on the high street. Caveat emptor.

Slight thread drift:-
Having worked in the west end of london, ( Contractors electrician) in one of the biggest stores in Europe, the mark up on women's cosmetics, especially perfume is well over 100%..

I need to get my eyes tested soon, where would people recommend for buying glasses online? How do you pick frames that fit from an online retailer?
I've never needed them beyond a pair for driving.
Go to Boots or the likes get the test done then buy a cheap pair and make sure you get your prescription , you can then use it to buy more specs on line for a fraction of the price.

endure

GCM
Go to Boots or the likes get the test done then buy a cheap pair and make sure you get your prescription , you can then use it to buy more specs on line for a fraction of the price.

You don't need to have a cheap pair made at Boots. They are legally obliged to give you your prescription whether you buy anything from them or not. They might get arsy about it but they have to give you your prescription.

"What happens after an eye test?
Following an eye test your ophthalmic practitioner is legally required to give you your optical prescription or a statement to say you've been referred for further tests.

An NHS optical voucher will also be issued immediately if you can prove you're entitled to one. There are currently 10 voucher values for glasses and lenses. The values depend on the strength of your prescription. The stronger your prescription, the higher the value of your voucher.

You should never feel obliged to buy glasses or redeem an optical voucher from the place where you had your eye test. Shop around for the best value and only buy glasses or contact lenses when you're happy with the product and cost."

You don't need to have a cheap pair made at Boots. They are legally obliged to give you your prescription whether you buy anything from them or not. They might get arsy about it but they have to give you your prescription.

"What happens after an eye test?
Following an eye test your ophthalmic practitioner is legally required to give you your optical prescription or a statement to say you've been referred for further tests.

An NHS optical voucher will also be issued immediately if you can prove you're entitled to one. There are currently 10 voucher values for glasses and lenses. The values depend on the strength of your prescription. The stronger your prescription, the higher the value of your voucher.

You should never feel obliged to buy glasses or redeem an optical voucher from the place where you had your eye test. Shop around for the best value and only buy glasses or contact lenses when you're happy with the product and cost."

Maybe but I got a two pair of prescription glasses off them for £30.00 , I use the online companies as I dont have to got in to town to order/collect.

Tyk

LE
Maybe but I got a two pair of prescription glasses off them for £30.00 , I use the online companies as I dont have to got in to town to order/collect.

But which online companies do people recommend? There's a very large number that come up in a Google search and quite honestly I prefer to get recommendations (even from the nutters on ARRSE) than go for sheer pot luck.

endure

GCM
I got some reading glasses from these. They'll post out 3 frames of your choice for you to try on.
The pair they made me were ok.

If you need varifocals it's best to find a local shop that only sells glasses rather than prescribes them as they need fitting properly.

If you're in the Midlands I'd recommend Direct Specs. They've done all my varifocals for years.

Latest Threads