Do officers learn anything about the hands on part?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by wi11, Apr 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do officers leran about demoition or about the trades?

I'm 14 and all i have seen is the army website.

Thanks any help would be appriciated.

2. I hope your spelling improves first.

Engineer officers tend to be managers and administrators. They decide where things need to go, maybe what techniques to use, but otherwise, the hands-on part is usually done by the NCOs. "Sergeant.. I want a cratering charge there, there and there. Then use detcord to fell the trees over there. See to it." Probably will learn about it in school, and do a hands-on once, but that'll be it.

It's one of the downsides to being an officer. Outside of aviation and armour, where they are integral parts of the weapon systems, officers tend to be directing more than actually carrying out, which is as it should be.

3. Thanks for that, but would i know enoguh about demolition to start my own company when i leave the engineers??
  4. If you are specifically interested in demolition (and want to run your own company) I would suggest you don't join the Corps but go and get a job with a civvy demolition company and learn from people who do it day in day out. We can demolish bridges with the best of them.........well sometimes :roll: :roll: :roll: but that is only a tiny part of what Engineers do (and you are far too young for me to tell you the rest) :wink:
  5. I'm interested in the rest as well it is just i think that that is the carrer i will follow after leaving if i do.
  6. If your intrested in being a Cbt Engr then dont join as an officer Just because Spr the lowest rank it doesnt mean that your experiance will be ignored when you leave. The Engineers are a diverse lot with many trades to choose from. Give it a go and then if you have good potentiol you will be an NCO in next to no time. What ever you choose good luck.
  7. feck off if you want to be a "rodney". :twisted: :twisted: 8O 8O

if you want "hands on" experience then join up as a "toffee wrapper" & get in amongst it fella :!: :!:

stay on the ground & live with the "pigs & chickens" like the rest of us scum (in their eyes anyway). :D :D
  8. I think ill stick to the officers and scrap the demolition company idea.

Because as they say, money matters.
  9. you'll regret it fella, the shop floor is where it all happens.

cash is nice, granted but there is more to life than money....................................maybe i should remind the "doris " of that................... then again :( :(
  10. Go armoured the way forward, Fieldies love men and Americans!!
  11. get to feck fella, you were not even a proper armoured farmer....................just a wannabe tankie 8O 8O ..................... :lol: :lol:
  12. To be fair I work in a company now having been in as a Sapper and started at the same grade as a guy who left as a Captain at the same time as me. Experience is far much more.
  13. I was a sapper and now I work as an untrained nurse!!!

Who'd have thought that the three week RMA course would have earn't me more money whilst I'm a student than a crane, telescopic handler and forks license!!!
  14. I think i'll stick to the officers. I'm sure that there will be plenty of job oppertuinies after and if I do leave.
  15. On the evidence thus far, you've no chance. Try paying attention at school, and invest in a dictionary.