Do Not Go Gentle...

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Rocketeer, Dec 1, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some of the Jargon regulars will recall that I mentioned I had the rare privilege to have met a few of these true heroes and had the honour to call a couple, my friends..Last year, the Good Padre presided at the funeral of one who survived the war and rose to become that rarest of gems.. an honest politician..still serving his country until the end...

Well.. I note today the passing of yet another of that small band, an occurrence, I know, that will become more frequent in the next few years..So, a respectful salute and a pour of the finest for one more of the veterans of the US/Canadian 1st Special Service Force - the Devil's Brigade - Brigadier General Emil Eschenburg..He joined in 1942 and stayed with the unit til the end.. rising to his high rank...But his service didn't end with WWII.. He served in VietNam as Assistant Commander of the 101st Airborne Division and later as the Commanding General...

In all , he earned 115 [!!] Military Decorations and only retired in 1970! Gone at 88 years ..still too young...

The assault on Monte la Difensa is one for the history books and will not be forgotten...

" There is no such thing as a good, bad or indifferent soldier. To be called a soldier is deserving of the highest compliment; it needs no prefix or describing word; it is an absolute like being dead or alive. Either a man is a soldier or he isn't. " - Captain V.G. Pearce, Royal Engineers 1916

2. General Emil Eschenburg IS a Soldier.

[​IMG]

Here's a pix of General Eschenburg at the Purple Heart Monument
    at Fort Harrison (one of the last taken...with his men).

:|