Do manners matter any more?

Doris's sister visited us this week after a year working in Hong Kong, so after a few days of celebration( e.g. Christmas lunch happened on Sunday followed by a whole day of drinking getting pretty pissed, followed by alternative Boxing day at ours as a replay)
She is heading off home to Hampshire tomorrow so we decided to have a late lunch at the local Chinese buffet,

after waiting a while to get seated, as it was pretty busy, we were seated and started to have our meal, the food was excellent by the way ( My SIL said it wasn't a patch on the food she had been eating for the last year in China, but also agreed the standard was good and the food excellent by British standards in comparison)

The fly in the ointment was the manners, or the lack of manners , of our fellow diners.

Are people actually taught manners these days?looking around, young lad with his girlfriend , he couldn't be arsed to take his fucking baseball cap off and it wasn't cold inside

The screaming noise of some of the kids in there , just let them disturb everyone else while you tuck into your lunch...fuck anyone else

the young chap sitting with his Mum and girlfriend who thought it was OK to shove his fucking knife into his gob( unfortunately failing to cut his own throat)

The other lad , again with his Mum and GF who was eating with two forks at the same time, I shit you not, two hands , with a fork in each lifting a huge load into his gob and chomping away at the load spraying it all over the table.

Kids throwing food all over the tables while their parents were oblivious to this as they were immersed in their mobile phones

Kids running around , getting in everyones way , an accident waiting to happen

worst as far as I am concerned though, was the amount of food they were piling on their plates , it actually looked fucking greedy...now we (our party) ate probably the same amount, but spread it over many dishes over a longer period , (it's a fucking buffet FFS you could go back and reload your plate 20 times if you wanted , but these cants were putting a pile of food you would have problems climbing, let alone eating, onto their plate

Is it a family thing? we have a Granddaughter who lived with us frm age 2 until 5 when her Dad married his girlfriend, he has a girl (6) , she has a girl(8 ) and together have a little lad (3)... when they visit us , Doris always tries to get the kids to help setting the table , the one who had her formative years with us knows what side the knife and fork go etc etc the older one cant't even use a fucking table knife , and the lad is the messiest eater... but never ever when he's at our place to eat, and the two younger ones always ask before they leave the table, because that's the way we taught her to behave when she lived with us... tried to teach the older one but it is sometimes like talking to pork

Now the thing is , am I just a moaning old bastard, or is something basically wrong with modern society

Do manners really matter these days?

ACAB

LE
This is why god invented machine guns.

Or, recce the place on trip advisor to avoid eating surrounded by pig ignorant chav cunts.

YetAnotherRock

War Hero
Kill them all with fire.

They do matter, but most chimps don't even bother. Wanker shitcunts.

we didn't actually go out for lunch till almost two hoping the dregs would have shovelled their food in and fucked off before we got there, but unfortunately not

Manners do matter, but to me it's not so much about eating with the correct cutlery as about considering how your actions affect other people. If Civvy junior kicked off in a restaurant, (and he can), then I'll feel obliged to take him out so as not to disturb others.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Doris's sister visited us this week after a year working in Hong Kong, so after a few days of celebration( e.g. Christmas lunch happened on Sunday followed by a whole day of drinking getting pretty pissed, followed by alternative Boxing day at ours as a replay)
She is heading off home to Hampshire tomorrow so we decided to have a late lunch at the local Chinese buffet,

after waiting a while to get seated, as it was pretty busy, we were seated and started to have our meal, the food was excellent by the way ( My SIL said it wasn't a patch on the food she had been eating for the last year in China, but also agreed the standard was good and the food excellent by British standards in comparison)

The fly in the ointment was the manners, or the lack of manners , of our fellow diners.

Are people actually taught manners these days?looking around, young lad with his girlfriend , he couldn't be arsed to take his ******* baseball cap off and it wasn't cold inside

The screaming noise of some of the kids in there , just let them disturb everyone else while you tuck into your lunch...**** anyone else

the young chap sitting with his Mum and girlfriend who thought it was OK to shove his ******* knife into his gob( unfortunately failing to cut his own throat)

The other lad , again with his Mum and GF who was eating with two forks at the same time, I shit you not, two hands , with a fork in each lifting a huge load into his gob and chomping away at the load spraying it all over the table.

Kids throwing food all over the tables while their parents were oblivious to this as they were immersed in their mobile phones

Kids running around , getting in everyones way , an accident waiting to happen

worst as far as I am concerned though, was the amount of food they were piling on their plates , it actually looked ******* greedy...now we (our party) ate probably the same amount, but spread it over many dishes over a longer period , (it's a ******* buffet FFS you could go back and reload your plate 20 times if you wanted , but these cants were putting a pile of food you would have problems climbing, let alone eating, onto their plate

Is it a family thing? we have a Granddaughter who lived with us frm age 2 until 5 when her Dad married his girlfriend, he has a girl (6) , she has a girl(8 ) and together have a little lad (3)... when they visit us , Doris always tries to get the kids to help setting the table , the one who had her formative years with us knows what side the knife and fork go etc etc the older one cant't even use a ******* table knife , and the lad is the messiest eater... but never ever when he's at our place to eat, and the two younger ones always ask before they leave the table, because that's the way we taught her to behave when she lived with us... tried to teach the older one but it is sometimes like talking to pork

Now the thing is , am I just a moaning old bastard, or is something basically wrong with modern society

Do manners really matter these days?

That's what you get for living in Croydon, I'm afraid.

"Manners maketh man" , I think good manners go noticed as much as bad ones , without them you are a chav cnut.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I admit that kids and teenagers acting like cnuts would piss me off too, so I tend only to eat out in the evenings when there's fewer of the little sods about!

Try 'spoons any afternoon,mothers gulping wine down as kids picked up from school run round screaming the place down.

Did you as a matter of interest ask her about the manners of the Hong Kong locals. I worked there in the early 80s for a couple of years. Their eating habits are something to behold.

That said manners here are certainly well in decline probably due to entitlement. To my mind common courtesy will always go further than diversity.

Did you as a matter of interest ask her about the manners of the Hong Kong locals. I worked there in the early 80s for a couple of years. Their eating habits are something to behold.

That said manners here are certainly well in decline probably due to entitlement. To my mind common courtesy will always go further than diversity.
The same with their hygiene habits.

Manners do matter, but to me it's not so much about eating with the correct cutlery as about considering how your actions affect other people. If Civvy junior kicked off in a restaurant, (and he can), then I'll feel obliged to take him out so as not to disturb others.
I agree with this. I have to say "manners" involving how one uses a knife and fork, elbows on the table, wearing hats are all bullshit.

I eat quickly, always have done. I rarely used a knife, preferring to use the side of a fork to cut with. I sometimes eat a little louder than usual but keep my mouth closed. None of these should have any impact on someone else enjoying their food, if it does then they are the one with the problem.

I suggest for the more precious people, if the sound of people eating food puts you off of yours then going to a fucking restaurant of all places may not be the best idea.

I like, by default, to deliver good manners on all occasions until offended in some way. After, that, it's free fire and I hope they have a memorable evening. There's places lower than the gutter I can take them to.

Manners do matter.

If you are bad mannered you are a complete and utter cunt.

Good manners are as easy to practice as bad ones. So why not get it right, first time, every time.

Did I mention that bad mannered people are ignorant, self-obsessed cunts utterly lacking in social graces.

The cunts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blue Vinny The NAAFI Bar 68
jaybee2786 Royal Air Force 3
Auld-Yin Competitions 11

Latest Threads