Do I need to bring a prescription with me to the Medical test and drug tests?

Hey guys I’m 15 and I’m currently on medication containing codiene for the pain, I’m worried that this will show positive for heroin in my drugs test but I can’t just stop a few days before (I assume it’s a urine test) as I’ll be in a bit of pain, I don’t know if I’ll still be on medication then as I’m getting better and the doctor is slowly reducing my dosage, but if I am would it be smart to grab a copy of my prescription before going to selections, so I don’t fail for heroin and get called a smack head?

Cheers!

(P.S could you be quick cos my selection is in January)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you're 15 I think you may find you're a bit young, also if you're still on pain medication in Jan I think your chances are slim of passing said medical

If you're 15 I think you may find you're a bit young, also if you're still on pain medication in Jan I think your chances are slim of passing said medical
I’m 16 soon and this is for AFC Harrogate.
I probably won’t be on medication still by then but I’m just trying to make sure everything is accounted for because this means a lot to me
Cheers!

Last edited:
If you are still taking codeine in Jan then you will be somewhat dependent on it and will have other problems to worry about. Your doctor is already reducing the dose and he wont be tapering you for that long. Depending on how high the dose is, you should be off it in a few weeks. If for some reason, you are still taking it, yes, take a copy of your prescription and your GP's'contact details but codeine, presumably co-codamol is not very effective anyway and you might as well just take paracetamol or ipbruprofen without the codeine anyway, depending on the reasons that you were prescribed it.

Whats wrong with you, what dose does he have you on and how long have you been taking it?

If you are still taking codeine in Jan then you will be somewhat dependent on it and will have other problems to worry about. Your doctor is already reducing the dose and he wont be tapering you for that long. Depending on how high the dose is, you should be off it in a few weeks. If for some reason, you are still taking it, yes, take a copy of your prescription and your GP's'contact details but codeine, presumably co-codamol is not very effective anyway and you might as well just take paracetamol or ipbruprofen without the codeine anyway, depending on the reasons that you were prescribed it.

Whats wrong with you, what dose does he have you on and how long

Whats wrong with you, what dose does he have you on and how long have you been taking it?
I’m probably ending it soon and I have a normal dose but I’m just worried it would show up in the test an I’d be banned. Also thanks!

tell your gp that you dont want to take it anymore because of the cdt coming up. Co-codamol is shit anyway, hardly any doctors prescribe it anymore and they are trying to phase it out.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I would be more concerned about whatever condition that is causing you take Codeine for on what appears to be a long term basis.

Having been on Codeine since 2012 until 2016, having weaned myself off Tramadol, I can tell you it is pretty effective, particularly when taken with paracetemol. Now on Co-Codamol after the Codeine started causing problems (itching) it too is effective, I certainly know when I miss a dose!

I would be more concerned about whatever condition that is causing you take Codeine for on what appears to be a long term basis.
It was chronic back pain but it’s nearlly gone after 6 months of treatment so I probs won’t be on it then but I was just worried it would show up in the test because it can stay in the hair for like 3 months

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It was chronic back pain but it’s nearlly gone after 6 months of treatment so I probs won’t be on it then but I was just worried it would show up in the test because it can stay in the hair for like 3 months
Have you read JSP950 on bad backs?

Having been on Codeine since 2012 until 2016, having weaned myself off Tramadol, I can tell you it is pretty effective, particularly when taken with paracetemol. Now on Co-Codamol after the Codeine started causing problems (itching) it too is effective, I certainly know when I miss a dose!
But you're not trying to join the Army.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What caused the back issue? Was it an injury that has been treated?

Do not under estimate how much strain your back is going to be under if joining the military. If you have existing problems now, you may find that bergens, webbing, long hours standing and rifle slings are going to really bugger you back for good.

Yes, i bet you do know when you miss your dose. It's extremely addictive. What are you taking it for?

GP''s have stopped prescribing it willy-nilly like they used to in light of the large numbers of addicts that resulted in 10 years of prescribing. They thought it would not be addictive for some reason.

It can still be prescribed for some conditions but it is not supposed to be a long-term treatment. If you have been on it for that long then you will certainly have a dependency....an opiate dependency. I know because the same thing happened to me and when I stopped taking it, even after a taper, it was like that scene in trainspotting when he went through heroin withdrawal.

The reason for this is that an enzyme in your liver (CYP2D6) converts the codeine to morphine but in unknown amounts, depending on your liver and diet. Some people get hardly any morphine from it (most people) and others, such as yourself and probably me get a fair bit but not enough to be therapeutic for pain relief.

You used to be able to go to a GP and say I have a headache and Paracetemol didn't work and walk out with a prescription for 30/500 co-codamol. Thankfully this is changing now. I''m all for people getting what they need but they created a huge problem by making the assumption that it's not adictive.

Codeine Therapy and CYP2D6 Genotype - Medical Genetics Summaries - NCBI Bookshelf

Yes, i bet you do know when you miss your dose. It's extremely addictive. What are you taking it for?

GP''s have stopped prescribing it willy-nilly like they used to in light of the large numbers of addicts that resulted in 10 years of prescribing. They thought it would not be addictive for some reason.

It can still be prescribed for some conditions but it is not supposed to be a long-term treatment. If you have been on it for that long then you will certainly have a dependency....an opiate dependency. I know because the same thing happened to me and when I stopped taking it, even after a taper, it was like that scene in trainspotting when he went through heroin withdrawal.

The reason for this is that an enzyme in your liver (CYP2D6) converts the codeine to morphine but in unknown amounts, depending on your liver and diet. Some people get hardly any morphine from it (most people) and others, such as yourself and probably me get a fair bit but not enough to be therapeutic for pain relief.

You used to be able to go to a GP and say I have a headache and Paracetemol didn't work and walk out with a prescription for 30/500 co-codamol. Thankfully this is changing now. I''m all for people getting what they need but they created a huge problem by making the assumption that it's not adictive.

Codeine Therapy and CYP2D6 Genotype - Medical Genetics Summaries - NCBI Bookshelf
Not on it now, as I said now on co-codamol (ok it contains codeine phosphate) but I'm probably going to ask for a change as I'm starting to get itchy skin again and I do need pain relief.

If you think codeine is addictive you should try Tramadol, it mongs you out when taking it and when weaning yourself off it you get mega sweats and godawful nightmares! When I was taking Codeine with paracetamol it was pretty effective for pain relief, not as good as Tramadol was but less problems. I had problems weaning myself off Tramadol but not when I stopped taking Codeine. I wait to see what stopping Co-Codamol brings :)

With a chronic back condition as a 15 year old!
Being a back pain sufferer if I were him I would go beyond a GP and get an orthopaedic surgeon to have a shufti before running around with heavy weights and ending up crippled for life at 21. Cos he ain't getting the pill's because he has a slight muscle strain.