• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Do I have any chance of joining the British Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I am fully aware of the countless posts on here about asthma and I can guarantee I've sifted through just about all of them however, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I am currently 16 years old and on prescription for asthma which was diagnosed for me at a very young age. However, as I have got older the affects and symptoms no longer seem to occur to me and I have decided that if I am going to pursue a career in the Army I need to come of my inhaler prescription now and wait the 4 YEARS before applying (I plan to study for A levels and a degree in this time). I am just wondering if the army would still accept me as a new recruit even after being 4 years free of any symptoms as I have read so many stories,of people being declared medically unfit for similar situations such as mine.

Just to clarify I have never had an asthma attack and I am fully fit (I run cross country for my county and I am a member of my local running club, triathlon club and football club)

Thanks

do you currently fit the criteria for entry into the forces with respect to asthma?

A No
B No

Next

i didn't state that I wanted to join the the forces NOW I said after 4 Years of no prescriptions or symptoms for asthma...

What are the criteria for using an inhaler, assuming you use or have used? It may be possible due to criteria, and probably doc seeing you. Do NOT keep having prescriptions purely "In case" as you should be clear for 4 years, that includes no further prescriptions. Also bear in mind the waiting time for joining. Your best bet is to drop into the AFCO and ask. Good luck. :cool:

Loads of people have asthma inhalers on prescription and never had the fooker, lazy bone GP's, go to your Doctor tell him you don't want anymore prescriptions for it do your A levels, get a Degree and shag anything you can along the way...then see what they say in four years time. The take up for the forces will be that low then they will probably take Stephen Hawkins.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Please be aware asthma is a killer. If you have it dont mess with your prescriptions etc.. However - there is a trend over recent years for people to 'have' asthma and allergies - so, if you are now 'clear' of it, then stay clear, do your four years and then apply.... good luck.

And what they said above

Loads of people have asthma inhalers on prescription and never had the fooker, lazy bone GP's, go to your Doctor tell him you don't want anymore prescriptions for it do your A levels, get a Degree and shag anything you can along the way...then see what they say in four years time. The take up for the forces will be that low then they will probably take Stephen Hawkins.
Thanks for the advice haha I have booked appointment with my doctor next week to look over my records and hopefully get off the prescription (she probably won't agree) and start the 4 years waiting!!

Good luck

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
If she won't agree (your words) its probably because you still need it? Do not mess with your health - there are far more important things than joining the military

Please be aware asthma is a killer. If you have it dont mess with your prescriptions etc.. However - there is a trend over recent years for people to 'have' asthma and allergies - so, if you are now 'clear' of it, then stay clear, do your four years and then apply.... good luck.
Thanks, Yeah I am fully aware and every now and again I get a slight wheeze which doesn't affect me in any way and is just irritating but nothing I can't live without and it's certainly nothing that I will let stop me from joining the forces .

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks, Yeah I am fully aware and every now and again I get a slight wheeze which doesn't affect me in any way and is just irritating but nothing I can't live without and it's certainly nothing that I will let stop me from joining the forces .
Thats your laymans opinion........;)

Yeah I suppose you're right which would be a severe disappointment but I will wait to see what she actually says and go from there. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.