Do ex-Military Make Successful Entrepreneurs?

GCO & BCO are happy for me to post this on here.

I'm still serving but currently doing a MBA and have chosen the following subject for my dissertation:

Do ex-Military Make Successful Entrepreneurs? Looking at the success or otherwise of ex-military personnel who are now or have been self-employed and if their military experience & training has helped or hindered them in business.
I'm looking for a willing cohort of Veterans who have been successful or unsuccessful in self-employment to complete a Survey Monkey questionnaire (10 questions) at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZR53K77

The questionnaire will provide the ‘quantitative’ data for my dissertation, but I’m also after some willing entrepreneurial Veterans to take part in ‘qualitative’ discussion (by phone, Skype or Facetime) to chat about their experiences in business. If anyone is willing to take part then please PM me.

Thanks

BizPhil

Not necessarily, What was the name of that wee corporal tried to set up a thousand year Reich. Didn't get of the ground at all.;)

I'm still serving but currently doing a MBA and have chosen the following subject for my dissertation:

Do ex-Military Make Successful Entrepreneurs? Looking at the success or otherwise of ex-military personnel who are now or have been self-employed and if their military experience & training has helped or hindered them in business.
I'm looking for a willing cohort of Veterans who have been successful or unsuccessful in self-employment to complete a Survey Monkey questionnaire (10 questions) at the following link:

The questionnaire will provide the ‘quantitative’ data for my dissertation, but I’m also after some willing entrepreneurial Veterans to take part in ‘qualitative’ discussion (by phone, Skype or Facetime) to chat about their experiences in business. If anyone is willing to take part then please PM me.

Thanks

BizPhil

Check all the successful entrepreneurs and see which are ex military. That should tell you. I think Richard Branson was a space cadet years ago.

Wets.

I did it. Be careful of how the info is used for stats. Some of the questions are not really applicable. There was no other option for employment area for example

Try Paul Sulyok, ex Cav and the Para guy who, on his arse, devised a transport software system bought later by Stobart.

Thanks

BizPhil
Mixed method research can be tricky unless your quantitative data has sufficient breadth for qualitative interviews. Take out a Select membership at SM and add enough to make it less vague, otherwise your analysis is going to be impossible without fudging, and your interviews will not be anchored to enough key findings.

Mixed method research can be tricky unless your quantitative data has sufficient breadth for qualitative interviews. Take out a Select membership at SM and add enough to make it less vague, otherwise your analysis is going to be impossible without fudging, and your interviews will not be anchored to enough key findings.
Basic message is the survey has poor structure and you'll never get a sensible answer on ARRSE anyway.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I know a few people how have set up their own companies, one training company has been going for a few years now, a furniture maker which has only just really got going, and a UXO disposal/risk mitigation company.
my own two businesses are just about scraping along too. I'm trying to think of any who've set one up and failed miserably. maybe I just don't know any failures?

I did it. Be careful of how the info is used for stats. Some of the questions are not really applicable. There was no other option for employment area for example

I've fixed that and given an option for 'other' in the employment question with the opportunity to say what sector in the comment box.

First time with Survey Monkey and doing my own survey so feeling my way.

Appreciate view about getting sensible answers on ARRSE but I know there are plenty of members who have experience of self-employment who wouldn't mind passing on their views and taking part.

BP

Don't know any ex mil Entrepreneurs but I employed a few ex mil who had me burying my head in my hands a few times.

Not necessarily, What was the name of that wee corporal tried to set up a thousand year Reich. Didn't get of the ground at all.;)

Didn't get off the ground? Bit harsh mate, he did conquer most of Europe! Not bad for a first effort!

I was only TA but the experience taught me not to be put off by titles and expensive suit and to go out for business.

In that, I came through.

Managing the resulting business was a complete horlicks which left financial ruin in its wake and unhappy split from someone and moving to another country - 18 months later and I am still paying off the debts; it was entirely my own fault.

Two businesses which I have no day to day running of - but am aware of the balance sheet and live in what some would call a 'pile' with 42 acres of meadow and woodland - guess I don't qualify.

Two businesses which I have no day to day running of - but am aware of the balance sheet and live in what some would call a 'pile' with 42 acres of meadow and woodland - guess I don't qualify.

You are the new Ravers?

You are the new Ravers?

Sorry - don't understand, merely just stating facts, I'm not sure of what a true description of an entrepreneur is. For me I invested some money, made some money, bought a business and set up another - neither turning over millions, but making money both, and keeping 14 people in gainful employ, which is important to me..

He still lasted longer than most new start up businesses though.

Rodney2q

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Done. Question 6 is glitched, you have to fill out a response even if you're no longer self-employed.