Do Dead Journalists Get Too Much Airtime?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by stickybomb, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Not at all, who cares

2. Ordinary news item (30 seconds, no interview or comment)

3. Searching interview with comments from fellow journos and VIPs on prime-time slots regardless of wha

4. By Alistair C*ntbell

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Kate Peyton's murder in Mogadishu was mourned by the Today team and Fergal Keane on prime-time radio this morning.

This reminded me of the death of another journo during GW2 who had fallen off the roof of his hotel hundreds of miles from the action. His demise was given a rather long, blubbing slot on prime-time TV news at a time when there were a lot of rather more important things at stake.

Whilst I have every sympathy with their families and the people that knew them personally, I had never heard of either of these people until their demise and I can't quite see how their loss materially affects the course of world events.

Are they justified in giving such coverage to their own people or are news editors abusing their powers by mourning on the airwaves?
  2. If they could be announced in advance then I think it would be a good thing, especially if it was driven by a vote.

I nominate - Piers Morgan for a tragic blue on blue in Basra. Hit by stray rounds from a chain gun on auto that was marking a target for Challenger main armament firing fin.

Now that would be worth watching.

It's only natural that the media report their own losses so prominently - they are only human. If this woman was just some tourist it wouldn't have made the evening news.
  3. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Whilst it will be hard for the presenters, they should treat collegues deaths in that same way that they treat pile ups on the M6, deaths due to fire and other common causes of death that make the news. professionalism and all that...
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Professionalism ............ journos

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't UQ, you're killing me ! :D
    What next ?

Honesty ............ journos ? 8O

No wait, funnier yet, moral fibre and ...... journos !
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
  5. listened to this on R5 this morning - oh my f*cking god!

nothing more sancitmonious than journo's bleating on about the death of another brave, selfless parasite, sorry, producer/journo!

one less to deal with later :twisted:
  6. Thought this one might strike a chord :)
  7. but I'm not BITTER :D
  8. Well, I don't know about you guys, but I think all the flags at MoD MB should be flown at half mast as a mark of our respect.
  9. A different slant from some earlier posts.

From what people have said, I clearly missed a lot of the coverage of this death, but what I did catch seemed appropriate to me as a straightforward news item.

The media especially the BBC have a duty to INFORM - not involve the rest of us in mourning over ther loss of one of their number.

However, not only do the "hard-bitten" media have their own feelings, but there's a long newspaper tradition of marking the passing of people in their own trade. There tends to be a disproportionate number of obituaries for newspaper personalities. Just as you will find a disproportionate number of "library management" volumes in any public library.

We also as a community quite rightly tend to pay disproportionate attention to the deaths of service personnel.

One point people may be missing is that casualties amongst journalists and cameramen etc have dramatically increased in the past few years. The fact that some of us have genuinely missed that fact suggests, perhaps, that media deaths are not in general over-played.

This will inevitably generate replies to the effect that increased media casualties is entirely due to foolishness on the part of the media, and their aggression in pusuing the story. Some truth in that of course, but there are other factors, including disturbing changes in attitudes both amongst the forces of freedom, and amongst terrorists and insurgents.

In case anyone thinks these comments are based on some armchair theory. I have had the misfortune to meet complete tw@ts of journos in various parts of the world and have personally had runs-in with them; have felt outraged by what I still consider to have been outrageously careless, slanted and dangerous 'reportage'.

I have also personally witnessed some brave (but carefully considered and not foolhardy) behaviour on the part of members of the media while appropriately pursuing the story.

Not everyone will know that many British journalists are required by their employers to take part in certain pre-deployment training, some of it HMG-sponsored and on very similar lines to our own OPTAG training. (Trust me on this fact.) Do I hear "duty of care"?

Ultimately, if anyone doesnt want the media to cover news stories of concern and interest to us all, I suggest they restrict themselves to computer magazines and keep their TV tuned to entertainment channels.
  10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I vote for a nationwide silence of at least four minutes - it's the least they deserve....
  11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Don't start......

:lol: :lol:
  12. When that Spam tank fired a round at a Baghdad hotel it hit a Spanish cameraman - well not full on but the news was dominated by this for weeks and weeks. The Spanish didn't want the war in the first place and "No a la guerra" was heard all over the place at a greater volume than usual. Doesn't the threat of death come up with the rations in this job?
  13. Hackle
    Another good post to balance the thread. For what my opinion is worth - I agree.
  14. I for one am fed up of listening to dead journalists on the Today programme. All that silence drives me mad, unbiased reporting though
  15. Not in the the best of taste but........

Perhaps someone should find every possible way to invade the privacy of their next of kin?