Do crows hunt their prey?

I initially mis-read the thread title as "Do cows hunt their prey?", which was a bit worrying given how many of them there are over here (NL).

A few years ago, at 02:00 one morning, I was making some photographs on a lake-shore (it's a long story...) when there were a lot of steady footfalls, stopping about fifteen yards away in the darkness. It was a herd of cows coming to have a drink from the lake. Luckily they hadn't read about hunting any prey and wandered off a bit further down the waterside. It did alarm my Italian climbing partner when I told her about it, so perhaps cows do hunt in packs in Italy?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Crows are scavengers.
If you see several crows together...there must be something dead in the vicinty, cat, rabbit, fox, etc
Very inteligent too
Dead, injured or weak, they're all the same to Crows

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Ravens are better mimics than Parrots or Minah's - dull story...
My Grandfather had a Minah he kept in a cage in his 'curing shed' (my Dad's garage), I used to go in there many times a day and talk to the Mynah, listen to him sing and repeat words and phrases, the side door was open most of the year but had a butchers chain fly screen over it to stop flies and birds getting in. At some point, I started hearing an 'echo' of the Minah outside of the garage - it was a Raven sat on the roof of the garage 'replying' to the Minah, later I saw the bugger walk in through the butchers flyscreen, brazen as you like, he(?) apparently had a good go at the pheasants & rabbits heads but left the deer well alone - which is probably why he survived to hang around for a few months longer.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Quite a few about me when I'm working. I've seen them hanging around the new lambs, they do indeed hunt but they seem to go for the easier targets. They aren't cowards though, especially if they're defending a nest, they'll mob and chase off the local buzzards when they get near.
I saw a Eagle in Canada swoop and take a ground squirrel. A crow swooped on the Eagle until it dropped it. I assume they don’t like Eagles who perhaps get their young?

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Magpies turn on each other, too. Stopped in a queue of traffic and 5-6 magpies on the pavement picking up scraps outside the chip shop - bit of a scrap broke out and they all ganged up on one and ripped it to pieces. All happened in less than 30 seconds. Brutal! A few people must have been watching - the lights changed to green and no-one moved!

Opportunists/ chancers, ready to grab any easily available meal.
This video was doing the rounds, of a crow helping his hedgehog friend across the road.

Sorry if I disillusion you, but the crow is pecking parasites off the hedgehog's back, they're minging with fleas. The hedgehog stops and rolls into a ball when the crow goes near his head, because the crow will take his eyeballs if he gets a chance.

Similarly, crows pecking tics off wallabies. The ball things on the wallabies are tics, bloodsuckers. There seems to be a drop of blood on the camera lense at the end.

I was driving along some country lane once and the car in front of me injured a small bird, a sparrow probably. The sparrow was writhing about at the side of the road and within 2 seconds, two magpies arrived, pecked out the sparrow's eyes and flew off. They probably returned to finish it off when the coast was clear.

Last edited:
The last but one English Partridge nest I ever found on this farm, circa 1995 I scrupulous mowed round and camouflaged for a fortnight before they hatched (13)...
It was hot weather, put a shallow water dish with pebbles in the grass cop( col.) for em to drink from....

On day three a pair of magpies spotted em, I was baling hay in that small field all afternoon, I might've had readily available ordnance tucked down alongside the mudguard....

Never got near the cnuts.

They did every sodding chick that day...

(I managed to drop the cock bird stone dead a couple of days later, paced it out at 82yards, choke barrel, ounce and an eighth, fives and alot of hatred)

Bought th'owd fella one of those circular Larsen traps for his 80th
He's kept a tame bird all winter in his greenhouse, feeds it Aldi dogmeat, it's a real cocky bugger..... I'm sure it squaks Boxhead.

83-0
and still counting!

I saw a Eagle in Canada swoop and take a ground squirrel. A crow swooped on the Eagle until it dropped it. I assume they don’t like Eagles who perhaps get their young?

Last week while driving into town there was a ground squirrel crossing the road, I slowed down to let it get across and out of nowhere and flying very low a hawk snatched up the ground squirrel and was gone.

Magpies turn on each other, too. Stopped in a queue of traffic and 5-6 magpies on the pavement picking up scraps outside the chip shop - bit of a scrap broke out and they all ganged up on one and ripped it to pieces. All happened in less than 30 seconds. Brutal! A few people must have been watching - the lights changed to green and no-one moved!

That's so true, they are the living embodiment of 'there's no honour amongst thieves' & will knock seven bells out of each other. I've had the luck to drop one with the .22 out of the house window and almost immediately down drops his wingman...not to help but have his fallen mate's eyes out or anything else he can rip off him, they really are brutal.

I've seen crows mob buzzards, magpies etc but never seen them stalking/hunting. Walking round the local lake a couple of months ago I saw an angry little moorhen chasing off a swan that got too close - comedy gold!

Ravens are better mimics than Parrots or Minah's - dull story...
My Grandfather had a Minah he kept in a cage in his 'curing shed' (my Dad's garage), I used to go in there many times a day and talk to the Mynah, listen to him sing and repeat words and phrases, the side door was open most of the year but had a butchers chain fly screen over it to stop flies and birds getting in. At some point, I started hearing an 'echo' of the Minah outside of the garage - it was a Raven sat on the roof of the garage 'replying' to the Minah, later I saw the bugger walk in through the butchers flyscreen, brazen as you like, he(?) apparently had a good go at the pheasants & rabbits heads but left the deer well alone - which is probably why he survived to hang around for a few months longer.
Nesting Ravens can be a nightmare for a farmer as they'll take baby piglets out from their pig ark in front of the sow without a care in the world and the trouble is you can't shoot them, which can be pretty frustrating for pig farmers...

As for magpies... such sweet birdsong of a morning and such a delight to have them visit... not .... we hardly see any birds in our garden as we have several magpies that patrol the area and their death-rattle call gives ME the shivers, never mind other little feathered things... I can't get rid of the bloody things..

Nesting Ravens can be a nightmare for a farmer as they'll take baby piglets out from their pig ark in front of the sow without a care in the world and the trouble is you can't shoot them,
Not strickly true (unless you are inside the Tower of London) Licences can be issued to cull Ravens if they are a threat to farm animals. Also most farmers I know would have no problems dispatching a raven.
"Sorry M'lud, I thought it was a crow"

Found this chap on YouTube doing vermin control. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6xF99FGf5b5Ae912dmR8g
That's impressive shooting.
That's so true, they are the living embodiment of 'there's no honour amongst thieves' & will knock seven bells out of each other. I've had the luck to drop one with the .22 out of the house window and almost immediately down drops his wingman...not to help but have his fallen mate's eyes out or anything else he can rip off him, they really are brutal.
A 'murder of crows' seems appropriate now.

Not strickly true (unless you are inside the Tower of London) Licences can be issued to cull Ravens if they are a threat to farm animals. Also most farmers I know would have no problems dispatching a raven.
"Sorry M'lud, I thought it was a crow"
Its become a real pain to get a raven ticket out here after the fuss some clowns made a couple of years ago. By the time Naturescot issue the ticket, the time to shoot the bloody things has passed.

The growing problem out here now is the white tailed eagles and its only getting worse.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
A few crows and magpies tree'd a cat across the road from us. They kept it up there for at least 10 min, harassing it and seemed utterly unconcerned by its lunges. I didn't really fancy the cats chances TBH.