Do crows hunt their prey?

Saw a baby rabbit in the garden earlier. I now see a couple of crows eating the wee thing. I have not seen a fox or cat in the garden for a very long time and I would have thought either of those would have removed their prize.
Are Crows hunters or as I have always thought them to be chancers and going for road kill etc?

mogreby

Old-Salt
I don't know the answer but I did see a crow mobbing a squirrel last spring.

The squirrel had run along a thick electric cable and scared a pigeon off but was then mobbed within a second or two by the crow and had to retreat to a nearby tree.

A regular occurrence round here, in fact it’s happening outside our kitchen window as I tap, is a couple of crows (that nest in a tree in the garden) mobbing and chasing off a large red kite.
Real bullies, they are.

Stayed in a cabin next to a small field, with a steep slope covered in gorse bushes, beside it.

The gorse bushes were full of rabbits, and I watched a crow try to attack a rabbit........ 2 other rabbits rushed over and drove off the crow.

It was like a little ballet, went on for ages, the crow would single out one, the other 2 rushed over to help, the crow retreated, then tried one of the others.......... eventually the crow flew off in disgust.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don't know if they hunt their prey but I did see two crows knock **** out of a seagull last week. It was hugely cheering to see a shitehawk get a kicking.

Issi

LE
My local magpies are quite effective hunters. Last year they took a fledging blackbird from my lawn.
It was nearly fully grown, so was quite a size compared to the magpie.

I watched one chase a woodpigeon the other day. Seemed highly ambitious to me, as woodies a decent flyers, and I’m pretty sure it got away. I think it was one of a pair that nest in a sycamore behind my garden and they are both there right now.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
The covid family generally are incredibly intelligent opportunists. They will "hunt" and kill
Corvid - they are pretty intelligent and if hand reared make good wild flying 'pets'. possibly slightly illegal though. I may have had a family member that had one, it may have followed him when he was out hunting and could have enjoyed gorging itself on the entrails left behind... or not.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Curse you speelchecker
It's a sign of machine learning, this time last year spellcheckers would autocorrect to 'Corvid' even if you meant 'Covid'.... beware the machine ;)

I would say that yes they do hunt their prey. It's all they know how to do, ever watched one winging up and down a hedge back...they aren't looking for rare flowers, they are on the hunt for anything they can get their beak into.

Best thing with crows is to shoot first and ask questions later.

A lamb just needs to be weak before they go for the eyes, navel and a#sehole. The shock then kills the lamb.
I found that a shock in the form of a sudden encounter with a 22 subsonic hollow point similarily usually kills the crow.!

4(T)

LE
I've seen rooks kill adult pigeons - they trap one and peck at its head. A couple of pecks seems enough to stun the pigeon so that it can't fly, and then they just carry on until its dead.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Magpies are the same family as Rooks & Crows, they regularly push Pigeon eggs out of a Laurel hedge at the bottom of our garden as a light snack

I don't know if they hunt their prey but I did see two crows knock **** out of a seagull last week. It was hugely cheering to see a shitehawk get a kicking.
Yep, we now have more ravens than blackbirds round here, watching the gulls who up until a couple of years ago were top dog getting the crap pecked out of them does amuse me.

Quite a few about me when I'm working. I've seen them hanging around the new lambs, they do indeed hunt but they seem to go for the easier targets. They aren't cowards though, especially if they're defending a nest, they'll mob and chase off the local buzzards when they get near.

Latest Threads