Do crazy policy's reflect the state of the nation?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by AIR FILTER, Mar 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With reference to the latest governmental **** ups resulting in 1, mayhem at the pumps and 2, the VAT on a pasty (but not if it's hot), I think that even governments of yesteryear would have dismissed this as insane practice.

So are these crazy statements of advice and bizarre VAT policy's just typical of why our country has now gone to hell ?

Just for the record ...... This is directed at both Red and Blue Government's.

2. I blame the media.

• Like Like x 1
  3. We need taxing much less so we spend more the result is the same.

4. The people get the government they deserve...

5. You got a cocktail for them?

6. Don't see the problem with VAT on a pasty.

7. It's a bloody outrage I'm appalled and I'm writing to someone important. If this continues there will be VAT on pies and we've to draw a line in the bloody sand.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I concur with van man. Moral panics have been caused by the media and frenzy of fuel buying. Frankly the gobment havent helped things though..... I am currently losing faith in cameron, I frankly think hes a dick and not much better than the last tosser we had.

The levels of corruption in govt and in the media is astounding me. I can acutally see me voting UKIP or a smaller party now being a middle votter for years....

Murdoch is a posioned challis and should be stoped from trading in UK.... he is a very evil twisted man and you can see that he will be changing his allegiance in the sun come election back to lairbour since operation Leven...

Panorama opened my eye with NGS etc......its distgusting

Like policies with VAT on hot food its totally ludicrous, the working man will pay more again......

9. Half the country doesn't vote.

Half of those who do, do so unthinkingly based on postcode or pocketbook colour.

It's not crazy politics, it's just "we'll do whatever we damn well please because you won't do anything about it" politics.

10. There's usually a number of factors that, when taken together, mean each sensible little step creeps in a sort of Basil Fawlty way, towards total disaster.

Apart from the occasional swivel eyed idealogue (cough...Pickles...cough) who demands bonkers policies, the usual process seems to go like this (excuses for use of Yes Minister names)

Minister- Sir Humphrey, we have a problem.
    Sir H- We, Minister? Or you?
    M-Well, me. I need to do something about this problem here. I'm getting earache from the Daily Mail, Mirror, Jeremy Kyle, the RSPB...etc,etc (delete where applicable)
    Sir H-There's a good reason for that, Minister. The current position is both legally required and quite mad.
    M- What? Why?
    Sir H- Well, the Daily Mail, Mirror, Jeremy Kyle, the RSPB...etc,etc (delete where applicable) bent the ear of your predecessor. He asked me for some options. I gave him three. Do nothing (Quite sensible), Do something (sensible) or do what the public wants. (Very foolish indeed)
    M-What did he do?
    Sir H- He chose to give the public what he thought it wanted.
    M-Oh. What happened next?
    Sir H-After the Judicial Review, petitions, Appeals to European Court, Human Rights Act prosecutions and losing a laptop on the train? We sort of ended up with a policy where the Daily Mail, Mirror, Jeremy Kyle, the RSPB...etc,etc (delete where applicable) write to the Minister...

There's duff policy (i.e.-Deciding to flog off the Forestry Commission cos it seemed like a good idea at the time) which is often caused by the whim of a Minister, and duff implementation OF policy. This usually comes from writing legislation which is supposed to deliver policy, but doesn't. That's usually a Civil Service drafting cock up, but sometimes the legislation that comes out of Parliament is so surreal you can't really do much with it.

There's an old legal saying that "Hard cases make bad law".
    In the Civil Service it sort of works the other way -"Bad policy makes hard law"

After the Ministers have approved something that looks a bit like the policy the Civil Service sent them, and MPs and Lords have finished trashing the draft law, the manuals and rulebooks have to be written. Its the Whitehall Warriors who have to try and make an operational and legal set of regs out of hastily written, bonkers, public-influenced hot policy issues. (Dangerous Dogs Act...cough...Badger culling...cough, handgun legislation... )

It's at that stage the public see the implications of the new law, when it directly affects them, and start writing to the Daily Mail, Mirror, Jeremy Kyle, the RSPB...etc,etc (delete where applicable)

We call it the "Policy Cycle". It goes around. And around.

(oh, and VAT on Pasties? That's nothing. I remember the Great Jaffa Cake War of 1991.
    A sort of victory for McVities over Customs and Excise (as was). Still a benchmark case of silliness, but could have cost the company a fortune.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. I think the country has been going down hill since we casually abolished freedom of speech. I blame the joos.

12. Not Pork Pies surely???
    [​IMG]

13. Give Osborne his credit, according to OECD the UK, in recession and is likely to be the slowest recovering economy in the EU apart from Italy, he has pissed off the elderly Tory base by nicking their tax credits and forcing them to choke down cold pasty while pandering to high earners and The City. To top it all off despite banging on like an economic ignoramus about austerity going to roughly double the deficit by 2015.

But he is surely the most sinister looking Chancellor since Norman Lamont:
    [​IMG]
    Linky.

14. Is that the same OECD, that didn't see the recession coming?