Do Communication Systems Operatives Experience Combat?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by afartinthefog, Jun 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello basically what title says, I am in the process of joining the army and my first job choice is a communication systems operative and there is a very high chance of me getting in (lots of vacancies and I'm qualified) however I didn't ask my careers advisor a question I should have and it is:

Will a communication systems operative be in combat on operations (in Afghanistan etc)?

Probably a very naive question but I feel I need it answered regardless, thanks in advance [​IMG]
  2. Somebody make them stop!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Oh yes there will be combat, well fighting at least normally over whom has stolen whom's hair brush.
  4. You might get shot at, you might not. It depends, as with all support trades in the British Army, on where you end up.

If it's important to you to get shot at then Signals isn't the best choice. If you desperately don't want to then the Army's not the best choice.

What is the obsession with 'will I get shot at?' questions among recruits?
  5. See the man in camoflage uniform and boots, he has a rifle and gets sent to 'exciting' places as the Government requires.
    The type of capbadge he wears doesn't mean he won't get shot at.
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Probably the same one we had at 18.... :)

With the added factor of higher probability in the short term than we had.
  7. ooh i dont know -5 tours op banner in 3 years in the seventies wasnt unheard of !!
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I put in almost 3 years in total on Op Banner - roughly equivalent to 3 fairly quiet weeks in a FOB I suspect.....
  9. Right, own up. Who is afartinthefog?
  10. Okay so it was a stupid question. I worded it wrong my mistake what I meant to ask is "Can I work with infantry or other combat focused roles?" and from what I have found out from this forum is that I can but I have to be part of a RSISR or a Bde Sgnl Sqd or something still not too sure, I'm not that far in the joining process (just finished BARB test) however I just wanted to get as much information as possible.
  11. Not unless it's all gone horribly wrong, ie, unlike the combat arms, the sigs don't go looking for trouble. Why do you ask? A) you are worried about being shot at - perhaps the current army is not for you. B) you want to get shot at - join a combat arms.
  12. How the **** did we manage before the internet? Yes you will get shot at, by your own blokes at this rate.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I'm not worried I'm just trying to picture what a CSop will be like if I would be out on operations, however I am probably asking questions too early since I am not even in the army yet.
  14. Not really early. You need to ask before you choose your job...

15. You're not asking too many questions. You're asking the wrong ones in the wrong forum.

As stated, if you want some excitement, then there are other jobs in the Army that would give you that, but on reflection, when you're not on Ops, the job will most likely be as boring as ****. There are posts within the trade that you've spoken about that will bring excitement, travel and job satisfaction. You'll have to work hard and pass some hard courses to do them, and I'm not specifically talking about 216.