Do Communication Systems Operatives Experience Combat?

Hello basically what title says, I am in the process of joining the army and my first job choice is a communication systems operative and there is a very high chance of me getting in (lots of vacancies and I'm qualified) however I didn't ask my careers advisor a question I should have and it is:

Will a communication systems operative be in combat on operations (in Afghanistan etc)?

Probably a very naive question but I feel I need it answered regardless, thanks in advance

You might get shot at, you might not. It depends, as with all support trades in the British Army, on where you end up.

If it's important to you to get shot at then Signals isn't the best choice. If you desperately don't want to then the Army's not the best choice.

What is the obsession with 'will I get shot at?' questions among recruits?

See the man in camoflage uniform and boots, he has a rifle and gets sent to 'exciting' places as the Government requires.
The type of capbadge he wears doesn't mean he won't get shot at.

Okay so it was a stupid question. I worded it wrong my mistake what I meant to ask is "Can I work with infantry or other combat focused roles?" and from what I have found out from this forum is that I can but I have to be part of a RSISR or a Bde Sgnl Sqd or something still not too sure, I'm not that far in the joining process (just finished BARB test) however I just wanted to get as much information as possible.

Hello basically what title says, I am in the process of joining the army and my first job choice is a communication systems operative and there is a very high chance of me getting in (lots of vacancies and I'm qualified) however I didn't ask my careers advisor a question I should have and it is:

Will a communication systems operative be in combat on operations (in Afghanistan etc)?

Probably a very naive question but I feel I need it answered regardless, thanks in advance
Not unless it's all gone horribly wrong, ie, unlike the combat arms, the sigs don't go looking for trouble. Why do you ask? A) you are worried about being shot at - perhaps the current army is not for you. B) you want to get shot at - join a combat arms.

Not unless it's all gone horribly wrong, ie, unlike the combat arms, the sigs don't go looking for trouble. Why do you ask? A) you are worried about being shot at - perhaps the current army is not for you. B) you want to get shot at - join a combat arms.
I'm not worried I'm just trying to picture what a CSop will be like if I would be out on operations, however I am probably asking questions too early since I am not even in the army yet.

I'm not worried I'm just trying to picture what a CSop will be like if I would be out on operations, however I am probably asking questions too early since I am not even in the army yet.
Not really early. You need to ask before you choose your job...

You're not asking too many questions. You're asking the wrong ones in the wrong forum.

As stated, if you want some excitement, then there are other jobs in the Army that would give you that, but on reflection, when you're not on Ops, the job will most likely be as boring as ****. There are posts within the trade that you've spoken about that will bring excitement, travel and job satisfaction. You'll have to work hard and pass some hard courses to do them, and I'm not specifically talking about 216.

See if I was to join the Royal Signals as a CSop could I transfer to infantry (or any other combat focused job) if I got bored of it? I asked my recruiter but he didn't really say, he only mentioned I could change jobs within the Royal Signals.

I'd you're already thinking of infantry as an alternative, I'd say the Royal Signals isn't for you. it would be possible to rebadge but it won't be easy and you'll just piss a lot of people off.

afartinthefog...

Sit down and think about what YOU want to do in life.

If you want to be an Infanteer then do that, if you want be tanks do that, if you want to be Signals do that.

There is a LITTLE cross over between parts of the forces. ie Infantry do signals, signals do some patrols and what not depending upon where you go.

But you need to figure out what YOU want to do first. Then pick a capbadge. Don't pick the capbadge and then try to build the life you want around it.

Trade changes once in are getting VERY rare. You only really stand a good chance if you are moving from a highly recruited trade to a under-recruited one.

More to the point, MoD is skint and probably won't be at war post 2015. The infantry won't even have the luxury of Northern Ireland. To the end, job for job for job Signals will probably be more interesting.

See if I was to join the Royal Signals as a CSop could I transfer to infantry (or any other combat focused job) if I got bored of it? I asked my recruiter but he didn't really say, he only mentioned I could change jobs within the Royal Signals.
do you want to get shot at is the major question ?? if the answer is yes join cannon fodder! if answer is no-join mcdonalds !!

Latest Threads