Do Britons feel rich or poor? - the Guardian

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Proper_Gander, Sep 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An article that really puts wealth into perspective.

Do Britons feel rich or poor? | Money | The Guardian

A few gems in there.

I think my favourite is the managing director.
    "Once you've paid the mortgage [£2600 for a 6-bed house], your nanny, bought food and fed everybody, there's really nothing left."

People need to learn to use their money wisely. Most of them are wasting it.
  2. If you live in a warm house with a full belly every night you are pretty damn lucky and should not forget it.
    • Like Like x 9
  3. The woman you've quoted employs a nanny so she can go out, work, and bring in 60 grand a year.What is wasteful about that?
  4. Amen to that. I'd love to take Mrs "Can't-Afford-To-Pay-The-Nanny" to the slums in Mumbai, or favelas in Rio de Janiero. Stupid bitch.
  5. Her husband's a freelancer, and there are loads of families with both parents working who can't afford a nanny. How do they manage?

Maybe they should live in a place that doesn't cost them £2900 a month as well.

I think the point is, a lot of the time, it doesn't matter how much you have, because you always want more. The more you have, the more you spend.
  6. which is it?
  7. Both.

Mortgage £2600 + Council Tax £300.
  8. You will always live within your means, whatever those means are. End of. No surprises here.
  9. Times are hard for all of us. Already cancelled my golf club membership. I shall have to ask my gardener to take a pay cut. How are some of you lot gonna tell your daughters you can't afford the horse riding lessons anymore, or your son isn't getting the Ferrari he wished for his 18th birthday?
  10. Well they mostly look fat and in need of a lick wash.
  11. By spending a fortune on child care, very close to a nanny's wages I should imagine.
  12. 4000 quid for a week in Spain? He is mad.
  13. I can get out to the Carribean for half of that for two weeks.....!