Do avionics/electronics technicians still train together?

HODOR

Old-Salt
Just wondering whether or not they do, i got offered a conditional job offer for it but after i accepted it the CSM referred to it as just avionics. I'm confused at the moment because i thought that they both have the same training up until a point where they split off.
i really want to go electronics tech so i wanted to know whether or not you get to pick during training?

Phase 2 (Foundation) Trg together in Arborfield. Then depending on your results and persuasion, you will likely be 'filtered' thereafter. 'Top tip' - do well at maths, it may present you options later.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ARRSE mobile app

HODOR

Old-Salt
Phase 2 (Foundation) Trg together in Arborfield. Then depending on your results and persuasion, you will likely be 'filtered' thereafter. 'Top tip' - do well at maths, it may present you options later.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ARRSE mobile app
so would there be more electronics places over avionics or would there be the same amount?
what was it like when you were doing trade training? (sorry about all the questions)

My advice is not to over think it at this stage. Concentrate on getting through basic training and knuckling down when foundation comes your way. As for trade training - I loved it.

Remember REME = Soldier First, Tradesman Always.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Electronics Technicians and Avionics Technicians are both in demand. In numbers terms, REME generally aims to recruit around 70 Electronics Technicians a year and 40 Avionics Technicians a year. The numbers change a little each year depending on how long people serve for and how many posts we need to fill but broadly the balance across the two trades stays the same. Good luck.

HODOR

Old-Salt
so do you get to give your preferred role of the 2 or are you given either depending on how well you do?
sorry for all the questions and thanks for the answers.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
If you are going to start a thread asking the same questions that you are PMing me just wait for the answers on here

HODOR

Old-Salt
If you are going to start a thread asking the same questions that you are PMing me just wait for the answers on here
i asked at about the same time, i wanted answers from a recruiter and someone who has been through the process. i didn't mean any harm, sorry.

At the end of the common foundation phase, course staff will discuss with you what trade suits you best. Your own aspirations are key to this discussion. If you absolutely want to be an Electronics Tech at this stage and you are meeting all the training standards, then I am sure that's what you will be.
Good luck.

At the end of the common foundation phase, course staff will discuss with you what trade suits you best. Your own aspirations are key to this discussion. If you absolutely want to be an Electronics Tech at this stage and you are meeting all the training standards, then I am sure that's what you will be.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I'm quite looking forward to it now :)

In civvie street the requirement is to be able to certify in both roles, this is a relatively recent change of policy, but aims to cut cost and make us aircraft techs more adaptable

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)