Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chimera, Nov 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

"...taking an important call on deportation issues..." I hope if he was discussing important government business he was using a secure phone, otherwise one might think has his comment is bollox.
  2. At exactly what stage of driving along the road did he realise the call was so important he had to take it? Before or after he answered it?

No excuse and the blatant hypocrisy makes it worse. Driving? Sod it, they should ban him from holding office if he can't respect the laws of the land.
  3. With all the money that MP's make he can't afford a hands free kit?
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Huge fine too, a hundred quid, that'll hurt.
  5. This always bugs me, most phones come with a handsfree lead in the fucking box, if you don't like it, get a bluetooth thingy.

If i can afford one, im sure an overpaid, underworked MP can. He can also afford to pull over.
  6. These cash fines are a joke.

To some people, a £100 fine is a huge blow and will have a serious effect on their life. For people like Liam Bryne, £100 is pocket change, and will have no impact whatsoever.
  7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

He can probably claim it on expenses anyway
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Didn't Ladyman who was minister for transport have 9 points?
    That 100 quid is nowt he'll claim he spent it on stamps and get it back of us
  9. Isn't it time they stopped this bolleax of "feeling remorseful" (remorseful
    adj. regretful, sorrowful, characterized by feelings of guilt) in order to get a lighter sentence - Byrne is a politician, a breed that tends to be a stranger to the truth imho - I doubt that he knows the meaning or remorse.
  10. I'm sure that his fine will be reimbursed by HMG.This follows hard on the heels of the head of ACPO 'Traffic Policing',some Welsh sounding guy,who was caught speeding near Chirk on the A5,apparently.The present people at the top feel no need to set an example,to anyone,particularly not those they 'serve'
  11. There are quite a few companies where this would have been an instant dismissal (breach of H&S).
  12. Just another NuLabGov apparatchik who won't resign his position on the principle that he has no principle.
  13. Nothing personal, but glad someone has been caught and fined.

If the Metropolitan Police want to increase their conviction rates, I suggest they observe the junction of Kimber Road and Merton Road in Southfields SW18. I pass this junction on foot at least four times per day.

Problem 1 is: nobody stops at amber.
    Problem 2 is: the first two or three cars pass red.

Observation: I estimate between 30 and 40 drivers per day will be negotiating this junction, whilst holding and using a mobile phone.

This law is practically unenforceable, as will the ludicrous Livingstone's 'law' to impose a 20 m.p.h. speed limit in London.
    Kimber Road is 30 m.p.h. but daily vehicles can be observed travelling at speeds (estimated by timing) in excess of 60 m.p.h.
  14. Cash fines should be in proportion to the criminals wealth.

Instead of a £100 how about a days wage? That might start to hurt some of these overpaid cretins.

Same with court charges.

As for feelings of remorse, I'd be sorry too if I was in the dock... for getting caught. They shouldn't have any bearing on the case.

Caught driving with undue care (ie with a phone or speeding)? points, 1 month ban (al a German rules) and a fine in line with your wealth.

I personally believe that the ban is all you need to start focusing the mind.
  15. Another case of one of our lords and masters telling us what to do and then showing us how to respect the law.
    Like the police shooting one tax funded dept pays another tax funded dept with my money.
    By the way Boy syrup and Chimera he won't have to lie about his postage, MPs can claim something like £250 on expenses without a receipt!
    I saw a student sacked on the spot for a £7 pound ''error''.
    Shoot them all.