Do as I say, not as I do.....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by afcass, Jul 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So if the Americans test a missile it's a GOOD thing,
    but if the North Koreans do it it's a BAD thing.

As Columbo would say- "I'm confused" :?

2. America - a reasonable Democracy

North Korea - A Totalitarian Regime with an eternal President who is dead.

Notice the difference?

*Surely a Wah?

3. Americans don't want to fire missiles at us=GOOD thing.

North Koreans want to nuke us and all sorts of other people=BAD thing*.

*This is because North Korea is an insane state run by an insane leader which is also a BAD thing.

Book him Danno.

4. While I understand the good regime/ bad regime stuff, I find it annoying that any nation who already has missiles should take the moral high ground about who else is allowed them. They are either acceptable or not.
    They cannot be uninvented, the technology has been around since the 1940s after all.

5. Would it be ok to give everyone a gun since soldiers have them? who are we to tell people they cant have guns?

Naughty boys / nations dont get treats.

6. Since when did morality come into foreign policy? Countries don't have the same attributes as individuals, why should moral considerations be applied in the same way? Basically, whats good in the world is whats good for us, whats bad is whats bad for us, irrespective of whos 'right' or 'wrong'...

7. Wasn't our morality what used to set us apart from the rest?
    Without morality where would we be?

8. Chatham? :)

On the main point though, gone are the days when our government's foreign policy could be considered a reflection of the population's moral values in any sense.

For all of Washington's strong words and Miliband's attempts to be a world player, North Korea's outcome will be down to China's government.

9. Was tat in the brief period between the end of us burning people for their religion, and moving to torturng people for information? In the interim we seem to have invaded a fifth of the world in the largest and greates empire ever seen.

We have never been morally perfect, but neither has any country. If we try to be perfectly 'moral' then we simply will not survive as a major nation.