Do any ARRSErs have a Makita 680Z brushless circular saw?

Apologies in advance for a long post, but I’m trying to give as much detail as possible.

I’m looking to buy a small circular saw for cutting mostly softwood or MDF sheet up to 18mm thick.
I already have a very screechy table saw, and very screechy old circular saw, but am looking for the quietest possible circular saw. This new saw will only be used four or five times per year so I’m looking for the cheapest possible option.

My logic so far is that a brushless saw ‘should‘ be the most quiet option.
The saw can be 240v corded or battery powered, but I’ve only looked at Makita cordless tools as all my other battery tools are Makita, so that would mean that not only would I already have batteries and chargers but would have ready charged batteries at hand.

Trying to find decibel levels for saws has been very hits and miss. Different reviews have shown different levels, and even the Makita instructions for the saw in the thread title don‘t give any db levels at all..........Not very helpful!

If anyone here owns a Makita 680Z brushless saw I’d be interested to hear how quiet you think it is compared to regular corded or cordless saws.
Or, if anyone has another suggestion for a low priced quiet saw that would also be useful.

For cutting the kind of material I have in mind a plunge/track saw would be better, but I couldn’t see any quiet or brushless ones in the budget category so mostly looked at regular circular saws.

This is the Makita saw in the thread title.
View attachment 547680

I found them a little difficult to control

1612816107193.png

Still, no harm done!

Polyester

War Hero
Because I can only saw to around 0.5-1.0mm over a metre with a handsaw and I am wanting to make completely straight cuts at ninety degrees :)

Using a plunge/track saw as per the initial post would be best, but the cheaper ones all come out at over 100db when cutting.

There is also the fact that (as an example) cutting 60 x 2.4 metre thin strips off a sheet of MDF is quite hard work lol. :)
Cutting board and only loosing the size of the kerf in measurements is also a money saver :)
Fair enough. Circ saws are quite noisy, I had a go on a festool track saw a while ago and even it was pretty noisy. I have heard good things about the Lidl/Aldi one.

Awol

LE
Erbauer 18V. Excellent quality and battery life. I’ve got several of their tools all using the same interchangeable 40W batteries.

Circular saw is about £100 from B&Q.

Incidentally, it doesn’t matter how quiet the actual machine is, it’s always going to scream like a wounded wolf when cutting, even with a new blade.

Blogg

LE
The motor noise is a constant: sod all you can do about and only diect route to low noise =low rpm.

Circular saw blades ring. Some make noise than others

I have small mains powered circular saw which uses these. Much lower noise (i.e. loud as opposed to bloody loud) and they create very fine finished edge. They also create a shitload of very fine dust......

1612818418607.png

Apologies in advance for a long post, but I’m trying to give as much detail as possible.

I’m looking to buy a small circular saw for cutting mostly softwood or MDF sheet up to 18mm thick.
I already have a very screechy table saw, and very screechy old circular saw, but am looking for the quietest possible circular saw. This new saw will only be used four or five times per year so I’m looking for the cheapest possible option.

My logic so far is that a brushless saw ‘should‘ be the most quiet option.
The saw can be 240v corded or battery powered, but I’ve only looked at Makita cordless tools as all my other battery tools are Makita, so that would mean that not only would I already have batteries and chargers but would have ready charged batteries at hand.

Trying to find decibel levels for saws has been very hits and miss. Different reviews have shown different levels, and even the Makita instructions for the saw in the thread title don‘t give any db levels at all..........Not very helpful!

If anyone here owns a Makita 680Z brushless saw I’d be interested to hear how quiet you think it is compared to regular corded or cordless saws.
Or, if anyone has another suggestion for a low priced quiet saw that would also be useful.

For cutting the kind of material I have in mind a plunge/track saw would be better, but I couldn’t see any quiet or brushless ones in the budget category so mostly looked at regular circular saws.

This is the Makita saw in the thread title.
View attachment 547680
Why does it have to be quiet, do you not want people to know you are building coffins/ play dungeon shit in your attic?
140 is a good price but is that bare (without battery and charger) as it seems quite cheap

Erbauer 18V. Excellent quality and battery life. I’ve got several of their tools all using the same interchangeable 40W batteries.

Circular saw is about £100 from B&Q.

Incidentally, it doesn’t matter how quiet the actual machine is, it’s always going to scream like a wounded wolf when cutting, even with a new blade.
Erbauer does all the internal for Makita anyway, I bought a drill from screwfix for nowt two batteries ,charger, awesome bit of kit

Slime

LE
Why does it have to be quiet, do you not want people to know you are building coffins/ play dungeon shit in your attic?
140 is a good price but is that bare (without battery and charger) as it seems quite cheap

I’m not going to admit my coffin sideline, but do have a spare 10-12 Makita batteries hanging around, and three chargers :)
I think I can cope with supplying Batts :)

Slime

LE
The motor noise is a constant: sod all you can do about and only diect route to low noise =low rpm.

Circular saw blades ring. Some make noise than others

I have small mains powered circular saw which uses these. Much lower noise (i.e. loud as opposed to bloody loud) and they create very fine finished edge. They also create a shitload of very fine dust......

View attachment 547795

The difference those cutouts make to the ringing is quite remarkable imho.
Most of my life I only heard solid blades so just ’knew’ saw blades made a ringing sound.
It still sounds odd to hear the different sound a modern blade makes, and even more so if the tool has a brake feature.

Slime

LE
Update so far :)
I spent lots of hours looking at various circular saws and still think that the Makita in the title could be the best contender for a quiet circular saw.

But, I haven’t done any more than look up reviews. What I have started doing is to try to make my table saw a bit less noisy.

The table saw is portable, and is easier to use for accurate cutting of smaller pieces. I might still end up getting the Makita for use with a straight edge/track for full sheets.

My idea so far is to line the saw table body with 6mm MDF, this won’t add much to the weight, but heavier panels vibrate less.
I will also build MDF baffles within the saw table body. I’ll make covers for the vents that have serpentine ducts so any sound waves leaving will be baffled.
Internal baffles will block sound from the motor directly having a path out through the height and angle adjustment openings.
I have a thicker flexi hose for the dust extraction.
The internal baffles and lining will be covered in acoustic foam, with the sound in line with the motor having to pass through two or three gapped layers of foam.

Finally, and obviously I’ll replace the old blade with something newer and with more anti vibration/ringing qualities.

The current noise level is 106db, so any improvement will be welcome.

Slime

LE
I’ve been using the table saw I tried to make quieter.
The saw is noticeably quieter, and no longer makes an annoying ringing noise.

The extra layers inside and baffles must be working.
I did strip the motor to fill the gearing with fresh grease, but also replaced the three bearings with new sealed bearings.

I bought a new quieter blade with the wiggly cut outs to reduce the usual ringing sound, and this new blade is far quieter than the old one.

I bought this blade. The wiggly cut outs don’t show that well in this pic, but they are there :)
94FAE73B-E0AD-4844-9524-CF3F95C75D0F.jpeg

Even if thats true, every tool is manufactured to a price and quality level, even if it comes out of the same factory its not the same.
Agreed to a point, but it really comes down to what you need it for, if it is something you are going to use everyday pay the premium for reliability and redress if it fucks up.

Latest Threads