DNA Of 37% Of Black Men Held By Police

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by scalieback, Jan 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.policeoracle.com/?page=http://www.policeoracle.com/news/detail.h2f?id=9255

2. Would be interesting to see how qeographic distribution affects it. There is a far higher proportion of ethnic minorities in the population in London, so if the Met were more keen than other forces on retaining DNA samples, that could affect the statistics. Outside of london, most of the ethnic minority population tend to live in cities anyway, which tend to have higher crime rates than suburban towns and the countryside.

Not saying there's nothing else going on, only that you should be extremely suspicious of statistics, they often can be telling you something other than what they seem to at first glance.

3. If anyone listened to Radio 2 today. I may have heard this wrong but apparently it is now the "norm" to swab newborn babies for DNA as part of a national register, there are also proposed moves to have everyone DNA sampled.

Personally I don't have a problem with it but it prompted the normal cries from the civil lib brigade.

4. If you don't commit a crime it doesnt matter does it?

If you do, whatever your colour, hopefully you will get caught and do time.

Civil liberty lefties get right up my nose!

5. Maybe the figures simply show that a higher percentage of black people commit crime than whites. That wouldn't be racist, it would simply be fact.

6. Why let a little thing like the facts get in the way of a liberal theory ladies and gents.

7. 87.235% of statistics are made up on the spot.

A half decent statistition can make any jumble of data represent whatever you like. Theres at least 4 different ways of calculating an "Average", and all give a different result. Journo's generally pick the one with the most shock factor (= newspaper sales).

Summary, it's all a load of tosh.

TB

8. We should be encouraging whites and asians to commit more crimes in order to even out the statistics.

9. Interesting:

Last night, Sue Mayer, the director of the campaign group GeneWatch, called for a debate on whose DNA samples were kept. "If you do have a skew towards certain ethnic minorities, there's a real danger that you could have another form of discrimination," she said.

Discriminating against criminals? What will they think of next?

10. That's what I call positive discrimination! Presumably as the amount of IC3 DNA held increases we can anticipate a consequent rise in clear up rates....but probably will get an increase in "detection" of FPT traffic offences by white middle class males instead.

11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I don't know what this cretin is complaining about. All sorts of other evidence can place innocent individuals at a crime scene, but anyone already on the DNA database can be eliminated from enquiries more quickly. Also, when a crime is committed the DNA database will mean that the perpetrator is more likely to be identified and arrested, saving police having to stop and question innocent black yoofs. It's a win-win situation, unless you are a criminal.

12. ViroBono why do you think that certain groups will not like this? "Is it cos I is guilty?" shall be the new Ali G phrase!!

13. Does this indicate that whites are an ethnic minority? 8O

14. Not yet but Neue Arbeit are working on that one...

15. How everyone jumps on the 'oh its disproportionate' bandwagon immediately. How this will prevent ethnic minorities joining the justice system, what claptrap.

Question: If the DNA was obtained unlawfully then of course this will be represented by the civil actions for wrongful arrest and the order of the court to destroy the sample,,,,,,,,, errrr how many of those do we have statisticians???

I really feel sorry for the black and ethnic minority folk who are doing their level best to forge out a career, against the odds in many circumstances and their so called 'leaders' or middle class white numpties decide to speak for them and call everyone racist or alarming how or saying how easy it is for a '12345' person to be stopped and whatever. Do they not realise that this masks the genuine racists and allows them to ply their evil thoughts and deeds???

I repeat the question, how did the database get to have all those samples? or were they lawfully obtained which is what I suspect. If so that makes it a bit more difficult to get around doesnt it,,,,