DNA Of 37% Of Black Men Held By Police

http://www.policeoracle.com/?page=http://www.policeoracle.com/news/detail.h2f?id=9255
The DNA profiles of nearly four in 10 black men in the UK are on the police's national database - compared with fewer than one in 10 white men, according to figures compiled by the Guardian.

Civil liberties groups and representatives of the black community said this offered evidence that the database reinforced racial biases in the criminal justice system. The Home Office denied this, saying most of the DNA came from people who had been charged and convicted of crimes. Only about 113,000 people who had been arrested but not charged were on the database, a spokeswoman said.

The figures, compiled using Home Office statistics and census data, show that 37% of black men have their DNA profile on the database compared with 13% of Asian men and 9% of white men.

Keith Jarrett, president of the National Black Police Association described the figures as "very worrying". He said he would be recommending an investigation into how the database is compiled. "It raises some serious issues and needs to be looked at." He rejected the notion that the figures reflect the racial balance of people who commit crime. "In my exprience that is not so at all," he said. "This is an example of disproportionality in yet another part of the system. It's just going to alienate more black people from having any part in the judicial system."

Last night, Sue Mayer, the director of the campaign group GeneWatch, called for a debate on whose DNA samples were kept. "If you do have a skew towards certain ethnic minorities, there's a real danger that you could have another form of discrimination," she said.

The database, which now holds more than 3 million profiles, provides police with around 3,000 matches between suspects and samples taken from scenes of serious crimes a month. Often these provide leads in cold cases that have been on the books for several years.

Since April last year, police have had the power to take DNA from anyone arrested on suspicion of a recordable offence - one that would involve a custodial sentence - meaning the database is not simply a reflection of those convicted of crimes.

The "ethnic appearance" of each person placed on the database is recorded - 82% of male profiles are white and 7% black, according to the Home Office. The number of men in different racial categories can then be compared with the number in the country as recorded in the 2001 national census.

A Home Office spokeswoman accepted that black men were disproportionately represented, but said figures on race were recorded differently in each case. DNA database figures were "based on the operational judgment of the arresting officer", whereas census figures on race were self-recorded.

Dominic Bascombe, of the Voice, the black newspaper based in London, said the revelation exposed biases in the criminal justice system that began with ethnic minorities being more likely to be arrested. "It is simply presuming if you are black you are going to be guilty - if not now but in the future," he said.

He added that the over-representation of ethnic minorities on the database put them under increased "genetic surveillance". "We certainly don't think it reflects criminality," he said. Anyone on the database - and family members - can more easily be linked to a crime scene if their DNA is found there. This may be because they are a criminal, or because they visited the scene prior to the crime.

The UK's DNA database was set up in 1995. It is the largest internationally and has helped police match around 600,000 suspects to crime scenes

Would be interesting to see how qeographic distribution affects it. There is a far higher proportion of ethnic minorities in the population in London, so if the Met were more keen than other forces on retaining DNA samples, that could affect the statistics. Outside of london, most of the ethnic minority population tend to live in cities anyway, which tend to have higher crime rates than suburban towns and the countryside.

Not saying there's nothing else going on, only that you should be extremely suspicious of statistics, they often can be telling you something other than what they seem to at first glance.

If anyone listened to Radio 2 today. I may have heard this wrong but apparently it is now the "norm" to swab newborn babies for DNA as part of a national register, there are also proposed moves to have everyone DNA sampled.

Personally I don't have a problem with it but it prompted the normal cries from the civil lib brigade.

If you don't commit a crime it doesnt matter does it?

If you do, whatever your colour, hopefully you will get caught and do time.

Civil liberty lefties get right up my nose!

Maybe the figures simply show that a higher percentage of black people commit crime than whites. That wouldn't be racist, it would simply be fact.

E

error_unknown

Why let a little thing like the facts get in the way of a liberal theory ladies and gents.

87.235% of statistics are made up on the spot.

A half decent statistition can make any jumble of data represent whatever you like. Theres at least 4 different ways of calculating an "Average", and all give a different result. Journo's generally pick the one with the most shock factor (= newspaper sales).

Summary, it's all a load of tosh.

TB

E

error_unknown

Interesting:

Last night, Sue Mayer, the director of the campaign group GeneWatch, called for a debate on whose DNA samples were kept. "If you do have a skew towards certain ethnic minorities, there's a real danger that you could have another form of discrimination," she said.

Discriminating against criminals? What will they think of next?

AndyPipkin said:
We should be encouraging whites and asians to commit more crimes in order to even out the statistics.
That's what I call positive discrimination! Presumably as the amount of IC3 DNA held increases we can anticipate a consequent rise in clear up rates....but probably will get an increase in "detection" of FPT traffic offences by white middle class males instead.

Dominic Bascombe, of the Voice, the black newspaper based in London, said the revelation exposed biases in the criminal justice system that began with ethnic minorities being more likely to be arrested. "It is simply presuming if you are black you are going to be guilty - if not now but in the future," he said.

He added that the over-representation of ethnic minorities on the database put them under increased "genetic surveillance". "We certainly don't think it reflects criminality," he said. Anyone on the database - and family members - can more easily be linked to a crime scene if their DNA is found there. This may be because they are a criminal, or because they visited the scene prior to the crime.

I don't know what this cretin is complaining about. All sorts of other evidence can place innocent individuals at a crime scene, but anyone already on the DNA database can be eliminated from enquiries more quickly. Also, when a crime is committed the DNA database will mean that the perpetrator is more likely to be identified and arrested, saving police having to stop and question innocent black yoofs. It's a win-win situation, unless you are a criminal.

E

error_unknown

ViroBono why do you think that certain groups will not like this? "Is it cos I is guilty?" shall be the new Ali G phrase!!

How everyone jumps on the 'oh its disproportionate' bandwagon immediately. How this will prevent ethnic minorities joining the justice system, what claptrap.

Question: If the DNA was obtained unlawfully then of course this will be represented by the civil actions for wrongful arrest and the order of the court to destroy the sample,,,,,,,,, errrr how many of those do we have statisticians???

I really feel sorry for the black and ethnic minority folk who are doing their level best to forge out a career, against the odds in many circumstances and their so called 'leaders' or middle class white numpties decide to speak for them and call everyone racist or alarming how or saying how easy it is for a '12345' person to be stopped and whatever. Do they not realise that this masks the genuine racists and allows them to ply their evil thoughts and deeds???

I repeat the question, how did the database get to have all those samples? or were they lawfully obtained which is what I suspect. If so that makes it a bit more difficult to get around doesnt it,,,,

E

error_unknown

If anything the police are less likely to Stop and Search minorities post Macpherson, the result of this was a huge rise in street crime in London. Following 7/7 the police were being pressurised to stop non Muslims to appear more balanced as if they didn't have enough to do!
I actually sympathise heavily with the hard working members of the minorities, they are one of the biggest victims of street crime from members of the database.

If the poor sods whose DNA's samples are being held have been nicked cos they is dodgy geezers then tough luck. "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

As to to the various loudmouth f**kwits whinging on about Ethnic clap trap "Shut the F**k up, You is boring me!"

floppyjocky said:
If anyone listened to Radio 2 today. I may have heard this wrong but apparently it is now the "norm" to swab newborn babies for DNA as part of a national register, there are also proposed moves to have everyone DNA sampled.

Personally I don't have a problem with it but it prompted the normal cries from the civil lib brigade.
It was done almost routinely in the last few years, but was done without any official legislation allowing or condoning it (although it was tacitly encouraged). As such, it was stopped when the civil rights groups caught wind of what was going on.

Why should the government hold a sample of my DNA without my permission? I am innocent until proven guilty!

B

Biscuits_AB

All it shows is that 37% got caught. Now why isn't anyone complaining about the level of crime committed by black men?

Latest Threads