DNA Database

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CharlieBubbles, Dec 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Personally in principle, I don't have a problem with my DNA being on a Police database, as it will clear you if you are innocent, as it will convict you if guilty.

Although recently, the Low Number DNA has been thrown into termoil with the setting free of th aledged bomber in N. Ireland and the judge questioning this practice.

However, like with all this government touches, will it just be the Police that will have this information, or will they pass it to other government and none government agencies for them to loose it, or as DVLA did several years ago, sell the information on to a private company!

Then there is the issue of knowing a patients DNA to check of known defects and therefore more prone to illness and disease, if the insurance companies got hold of that, would they then refuse to insure you?

Personally I DON'T trust this shower of SH1T not to missue it, even if it for all the benifits it COULD bring to the UK!
  2. The last thing any government will do is use this information exclusively for catching criminals. It a great con trick to suggest that it will guarantee any convictions as supporting evidence has to be provided to convict (unless they decide to do away with that as well). You can be sure that the real plan behind it is to sell off as much of the information to businesses, home and foreign. :x
  3. Boys boys boys!
    Reasons not to trust this "government?"
    Surely not?
    Try these links, the first couple are from the Forensic Science Service's own website, and the third one (the most spooky of all) is from the Home Office. Given the amount of data loss recently, probably still ongoing, the non-cleared security staff working in Government agencies and I would worry. The FSS is now being morphed into a commercially-run agency, otherwise known as a company or business. The driving force will be who pays most for the service, and law-enforcement within the UK will not be their preferred customer base.
    The third link, is the most worrying, apparently covertly obtained DNA cannot be used for paternity testing purposes but that pre-supposes that it can for everything else. Worried yet?

Seen any Ministers stepping up yet to give DNA elimination samples? Nah, and neither did 97% of the Old Bill.

Food for thought?
  4. 97% of the old Bill may not of signed up to it, because they were given a choice.

All new recruits don't have a choice, it's a condition of service.

Their (The police) DNA samples are held seperately from the National database and are used, as thery attend the scene, to eliminate them/their DNA from the crime scene.

These samples cannot be compaired against the National Database and Police Officers supected of a 'recordable' offence will be required to provide an additional sample, the same way anyone else would, who is suspected of committing a criminal offence.
  5. The problem at the moment is that if you are arrested you have your DNA taken. If you are released 'no further action' or found innocent your DNA remains on file, even though you haven't done anything wrong. If there were to be a DNA database it should be all in or nothing at all - not this ridiculous half arsed rubbish that's currently going on.

Personally I wouldn't trust the government to change it's socks on tim,e let alone manage millions of individual records in a decent and secure manner.
  6. Mate, if you really think that your sample voluntarily given upon joining cannot be compared against the National DNA database then dream on. Why else do you think you have to give it then? Just in case at some time in the next 35 years you inadvertently spit out some chewing gum at a murder scene or chuck a ciggy end away at a serious GBH?
    Going through crime scene awareness training at training school is one thing, doing it in reality is another. Personally I have never witnessed any old bill at a crime scene be stupid enough to leave even fingerprints or footprints, let alone any DNA (of any type) so what is the compelling reason for all recruits to give it?
    Even on the cordon at a serious offence, you would have to be going some to have even a hair airborne by wind to the scene!
    Get real and recognise the DNA database for what it is, law-enforcement is now a very reduced part of the FSS and getting smaller.
  7. Harry, you were on a certain course of mine in 88, not in person, (Just by reputation).

Can't argue with you fella, although having done the FSS DNA awareness instr course, can only give over what I was taught to teach.

Not in the old bill yet, so can't speak from a position of strength. I don't have a problem giving my DNA, nor did I have a problem being subjected to drugs and alcohol tests.

Each to their own.

Personally, which I think your original reponse was alluding to, was that I believe all people should provide DNA on birth. But that's another argument.
  8. The Tsunami/Enniskillen/Warrenpoint etc are classic examples where DNA proves invaluable. In principle I support ID cards & 100% DNA database but I fear the likes of the CSA will abuse the system by means of 1 way traffic (ie they'll shaft Fathers whose DNA matches their offspring but wont tell them if there's been a cuckoo in their nest!)
  9. DNA. Sorry thought this was new website for the National Dyslexics Assocation.

Sorry couldn't resist it.
  10. The moment the loonie, liberal lefty types start going on about DNA databases and Big Brother it suddenly occurs to me.

Why don't they want one? What are they up too? What have they got to hide?

Although I agree that I wouldn't trust this usless bunch on cnuts, supposed to be a government, to keep anything confidential, I still think it would be a good idea.

In fact, lets go one better than the US, and take DNA sample of everyone who visits the UK, so if any of those wannabe terrorists try another 7/7, we may be one step ahead of them! :p

Okay, let the bashing begin... :D :D
  11. In principle? Yes.
    In practice? No way.
    This information will be abused 'as sure as eggs is eggs' - and we all love egg banjo's. :)
    I don't need to go on any f'ing DNA database because I'm an honest, law abiding man. End of.
    It's a nice idea until you start to look at who gains from having one. The very fact that people who are arrested have their DNA sample taken and when found to be innocent cannot have it removed tells me that it is being misused already. That stinks. :x
    Take samples from criminals and let the innocent in society have their honesty rewarded.
    The same goes for ID cards, they can't make the bloody chip and pin 100% secure so what chance a biometric ID card system?
    This is a classic case of an intelligent tool being used crudely. It will end up in the hands of villains.
    If Her Majesty the Queen goes on it, I will of course reconsider my position. :twisted:
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well I'm afraid that should I be arrested I would refuse to give any sample of anything unless I was cnutish enough to D&D.
    Bugger them no DNA from me!
  13. What about Omagh?
  14. If you bugger them, then they'll have your DNA! :bow:
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator