Diving.

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Athers, May 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are the main differnces between Royal Navy divers and Royal Engineer divers, apart from the obvious ones like, ones Navy and ones Army.
    From generally looking I found that Royal Engineers do Sapper tasks underwater and dive to 50m, Navy divers, defuse bombs repair the ships hulls and dive to 60m.

2. This thread has nothing to do with lady bits then? :(

3. Totally mis-leading. I thought this was about muff!

4. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

RN Divers have nicer hair and like mirrors more.

Only joking.

Don't know about Sappers but RN Divers do:

Battle Damage Repair for ships
    Underwater Engineering tasks
    EOD at sea to the High Water Mark (trawler brings up a mine the RN turn up and blow it up)
    Minehunting and disposal
    Covert and Discrete Very Shallow Water beach recce
    Maritime Counter Terrorism "stuff"
    Assisting the SPAG (Submarine Parachute Assistance Group) for submarine emergencies if required.
    Deep diving
    IED work as part of the UK wide JEOD tasking (similar to the RLC units)
    Experimental diving
    Flying out to ships around the world to do Underwater Force Protection things. Jetty searches, anti diver patrols and "stuff" (including EOD work)
    Joint Services EOD stuff - team out in Afghanistan for example

Hope that helps.

If you are thinking of joining the RN as a diver there is a very very very long waiting list (I think it is over a year now) so you need to start the recruitment process soonest.

5. RE Divers do underwater engineering as a primary task; RN Divers do Bomb Disposal as a primary task. Obviously as RN (and ex-small ships) I can spout on about the RN stuff, my knowledge of the RE comes from my time at DDS and speaking to the RE YOs at MWS who are on course.