Diving, why chest x-rays for sports diving???

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by boardman, Jul 27, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is it that all the civi orgs do not require chest x-rays yet for non professonal diving in the Army we do? It's a nightmare in places like cyprus and prevents people getting started.
    Any advice? 8O

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Must be because the MoD are sick of being sued by all and sundry!

But I agree the procedures needs to be reviewed, if you under 45 and have a peak flow of 700+ then there should be some leeway!

3. This question was discussed at length in Cyprus about three years ago. Loads of angst coz we had civvies (50+yrs, comparatively unfit) who didnt have x-rays whilst the mil bods (ave 25yrs, relatively fit) who needed them. I'll try and root out the official mil diving association response although not sure how useful it was - I seem to remember the reply being something along the lines "That's what it says in service regs, so do it"

Helpful? No, I didn't think so................

4. If i was a male Radiographer in Cyprus with all those tanned women i would insist on taking chest x-rays.

5. I didn't have a chest x-ray as part of my last diving medical. Was this because it wasn't necessary or because my chest isn't lumpy?

6. well if there is going to be a "fit" radiographer taking my chest x-ray, i suppose i better return to my faithful scuba. great stuff! :D

7. I suggest if you don't want to wait for a cxr result, dive civy. There are loads of places in Cyprus that would love to take your money. And all are much more relaxed than CJSATC.

Why does the army insist on cxr's? god knows, it's a right pain in the arrse. if you've had one reported as clear in the last 5 years, you don't need a new one.

islanda, I'd love to take your cxr, come see me tommorrow :wink:

8. I knew i should of been a radiographer :oops:

9. trout :roll:

10. I think you meant should have been!!

Trout? Me? Of course!!

11. Well that's why i'm not coz i iz illiterate

12. I have been informed by my rat in AMD that the reason they do CXR's for dive medicals is to justify another RAMC Cadre, coz there is sod all else for them to do. Give em a rifle i say, fight the fight and suport the infantry in Iraq.

13. :lol: :lol: :lol: A rifle? Whats one of they then?

Great, scrap the dive med's and LET ME GO!! I'll go back to the agency, earning myself a fortune with an easy life, instead of seeing the fools who think it's a great idea to beat the sh!t out of each other on a p!ssed up weekend. (Or the overflow from the NHS.)

14. [quote="1shot1kill]Well that's why i'm not coz i iz illiterate[/quote]

You would be fine. Just stay away from the vodka. It's very bad stuff and doesn't help with the course work. (voice of experience!)