Diving Resettlement.

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by charliecharlieone, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you would like to become a diving Instructor using your resettlement, drop me a pm, fanatstic trianing facililties in warm climate.

Novice to Pro in 7 weeks.

Run by ex-forces.
  2. Are you ELCAS registered?
  3. Ditto, but in a much warmer climate with better exchange rate & nightlife:)

(ARRSE, since when has advertising been free?)
  4. Is it ELCAS registered?
  5. Novice to Pro in 7 weeks, I thought the sad/bad old days of diving instructors with less dives then their students was long gone with the demise of learn to dive for £99.00.

When I did my advanced, I had 400 more dives then my instructor :roll:
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I am part owner of a small diving business, any instructor without a CV of practical experience and references would not even get a reply. The market is fairly saturated and has been for some years. There are opportunities, but you would need something going for you.
    I have been diving for 19 years, instructing for 15 years with 4 different agencies, and a part business owner for 5.
    If anyone wants an impartial perspective I would be happy to answer any questions.
  7. Cmon let's not be too negative.

I wish I'd spent my resettlement money on a diving course somewhere nice and warm.

Yes life as a PADI DiveMaster is crap but that's not the point - if you've got the money (and a real job to go to) then this is a fantastic way of burning the money - and far better it goes in the OP's pocket as ex-forces than some nameless 5* PADI center (sic).

I spent my career doing stoopid things like UEL/JSMEL/AAMapric .....wish to hell I'd discovered scuba diving much earlier!
  8. Oldfarts got a point I suppose.

Is there much difference in handing over your hard earned to a PADI 5* and fast tracking or, as I did, get abused as cheap labour in a Cornish dive centre, slowly working my way through courses as part payment for services rendered.

Perhaps 25 years as dive master before being offered your IDC isn't so bad? OK I exaggerated slightly, it was 21 years, and I did get commission on kit, actually if wasn't for kit sales I'd have been destitute :D
  9. If you manage to get on a diving course for resettlement, a good next step to consider is to find work on a private yacht, you get well paid and live onboard, so very few overheads, you obviously have to work as a deck hand but you'll have loads of oportunities to get your dive numbers/experience increased, travel the world and maybe do some yachting courses as well, i.e yacht masters etc.

I did it and had a fantastic 4 years all over the world, ended up as a Diving Instructor as well.

Good luck.
  10. I recently did a defensive driving course with Intelligent Training International Limited as i want to either work on the CP market or with the FCO.

a GREAT 7 day course and i got my ROSPA Gold Cert too :)
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Underwater defensive driving :? What with mini-subs avoiding sharks with frikkin laser beams :?
  12. i dont know if this is a stupid question or not so dont bite my head off, if ive got bad hearing would i still be able to dive, i dont know if the pressure would affect me any thoughts....