Diving in Papua New Guinea

No longer current, previously a PADI OWSI, and can strongly recommend PNG if you’re suitably cashed-up, have lots of time, and like adventure. I lived and worked in Port Moresby for three years, and whilst SWMBO Golfed, I got wet ... usually two, sometimes three, dives on each day of the weekends, and numerous mid-week night dives. There are a couple of live-aboards operate around the north/islands who are well-regarded, but most of my dives were done around POM.
8D8B0AA7-D8DA-4BE8-9061-82D3FEEEE658.jpeg
BCA9CA60-52B2-4B35-BAC8-303BDBBE71C1.jpeg
2205F5FC-79F1-4D7A-AF87-37844358BDD9.jpeg

Bad CO

Admin
Book Reviewer
No longer current, previously a PADI OWSI, and can strongly recommend PNG if you’re suitably cashed-up, have lots of time, and like adventure. I lived and worked in Port Moresby for three years, and whilst SWMBO Golfed, I got wet ... usually two, sometimes three, dives on each day of the weekends, and numerous mid-week night dives. There are a couple of live-aboards operate around the north/islands who are well-regarded, but most of my dives were done around POM.

Nice, I lived in Lae as a kid and my very first dives were done aged approx 10/11 in Madang using my Mum's kit. Great experience and I'd love to return although cost is pretty prohibitive!

Nice, I lived in Lae as a kid and my very first dives were done aged approx 10/11 in Madang using my Mum's kit. Great experience and I'd love to return although cost is pretty prohibitive!

Similar experience, around the same age I was a few hundred miles ENE of you on Tarawa atoll.
The diving was incredible - and as my Dad was a keen BSAC diver / instructor I was frollicking in the best and as a kid , knowing it was good , but not until later realising just how good.
What were your folks doing in Lae ?
Mine were in Port Moresby for a while.

Bad CO

Admin
Book Reviewer
Similar experience, around the same age I was a few hundred miles ENE of you on Tarawa atoll.
The diving was incredible - and as my Dad was a keen BSAC diver / instructor I was frollicking in the best and as a kid , knowing it was good , but not until later realising just how good.
What were your folks doing in Lae ?
Mine were in Port Moresby for a while.
My Dad taught at the University 1980-84 which was probably about the right time to be there as I gather it went completely down hill afterwards. Before deciding on PNG he'd had a job offer in the Glibert Islands (not sure which one) so if things had turned out differently we might have been in the same place.

Fabulous experience for any kid. This was in Madang

madang.jpg

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
I learnt to dive in Port Moresby about 79/80 but I only did a handful of dives. It was with Len Capon who lived next to Sir Donald Cleland Pool, so the training was done there. It was the PADI system and I seem to remember that we were using USN dive tables which I had to learn rote fashion. I didn't pay for the course as for some reason Len owed Dad a favour!

Mainly dives out around the Basilik Passage opening before giving it away for some reason. The current pull out there was significant. We went out one day on a RHIB type thingy in shitty weather and the swell broke the keel of the boat, so we turned around and headed back. Funny watching the front half flap up and down on the return.

Before this I did a little bit with my neighbour around some of the local islands in the harbour but really shallow as I was not qualified at that time. Did a bit more scuba later in life but given it away completely now.

Latest Threads