Diving Forum

Bad CO

Admin
Anyone who knows me is aware that diving is something I'm rather keen on. Having just spotted a thread on the subject, I thought it was time that ARRSE had its own diving forum.

Enjoy!

Augustus

War Hero
Old Navy mate of mine runs a cave diving resort in Mexico. Google ‘Underworld Tulum’ if you’re an experienced caver or a novice seeking to scratch an itch. They also run open water courses and qualifications.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Old Navy mate of mine runs a cave diving resort in Mexico. Google ‘Underworld Tulum’ if you’re an experienced caver or a novice seeking to scratch an itch. They also run open water courses and qualifications.
She who casts no shadow wants to do the Cenotes so will break out the google fu -Cheers Augustus :thumright:

There just happened to be a RN Phot passing by as I returned from a job......

IMG_20150123_082339 - Edited.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve done a fair bit of diving over the years but nothing more exciting than your standard holiday beginner dives. Do some training in a swimming pool before going in the sea type thing. I have probably done about 20 of these.

It was a fairly standard exped in most foreign ports we visited.

Always fancied getting a bit more into it but don’t really have the time. Also the missus hates it. Absolutely terrified of the sea, she hates swimming, hates boats, hates everything about it.

She’s been on two dives with me and hated them both.

Freshwater dive in Lake Malawi on our honeymoon.

C4F93695-899E-42BF-B9FB-CF4086BCC8DC.jpeg

I’ve done a fair bit of diving over the years but nothing more exciting than your standard holiday beginner dives. Do some training in a swimming pool before going in the sea type thing. I have probably done about 20 of these.

Always fancied getting a bit more into it but don’t really have the time. Also the missus hates it. Absolutely terrified of the sea, she hates swimming, hates boats, hates everything about it.

View attachment 541319

I’m sure diving in Lake Malawi is lovely and amazing.

I was a Ship’s Diver, and I only ever dived in Pompey Harbour, at night, in the autumn and winter, under dark dark ships. It scared the everliving sh!t out of me - not helped by the fact I qualified after the first DDS death, and only got a quarter or so in before the next death.

I’m not sad I never did it again.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’m sure diving in Lake Malawi is lovely and amazing.

I was a Ship’s Diver, and I only ever dived in Pompey Harbour, at night, in the autumn and winter, under dark dark ships. It scared the everliving sh!t out of me - not helped by the fact I qualified after the first DDS death, and only got a quarter or so in before the next death.

I’m not sad I never did it again.

I never got to be a ship’s diver. It was a very closed clique on both the 42s I was on and unless you were bezzy wingers with the chief you weren’t getting in. They never did anything anyway. Whenever they were needed there’d be some H&S reason why they couldn’t dive and we’d contract in some local dive team to sort it.

I fondly recall a fishing net getting caught round our log reader (speed sensor for those of a non nautical persuasion). We pulled into Bangkok and there were dead dogs and syringes floating in poo coloured water so we called out a local team.

A young lad and his mate rocked up in speedos and swimming goggles, stuck a hose in his mouth, while his mate pumped air into it with a bike pump, and jumped straight in.

To be honest Lake Malawi was a bit shit.

Apart from some small fish there was really not a lot to see. Fairly grey and murky water and just sand on the bottom.

That’s it.

I’ve done a few dives in Barbados and it was amazing. There is a spot called Carlisle Bay. By all accounts it used to be much deeper than it currently is, as such there are a lot of wrecks and other interesting bits and pieces at a fairly shallow depth that is accessible to beginners.

You don’t even need to get a boat. You can walk off the beach and there are 5 or 6 wrecks at a depth of under 10m. Crystal clear water, amazingly colourful fish. Awesome.

Fellers, and Ladies who like, while still young, and if cashed-up enough and when this mongrel lurgi dissipates ... may I suggest PNG and environs.
Warm water, good scenery, great people ... and excitement above and below the surface!
077343A1-5F26-4800-AF25-7D409650B7D0.jpeg
681D02B0-368E-4CEC-BF44-BB604D64EE09.jpeg
1AACCB19-B562-4B1D-AC97-1F433B452DE7.jpeg

Tool

LE
Did a lot of dives in Seffrica in my yoof, mainly off Sodwana Bay (some of the southern-most coral reefs in the world) and Aliwal Shoal (two wrecks, one 1880's, the other 1974) and sharks. Couple of dives in Malta (Circewwa). I must admit to being disappointed in Malta - lovely clear water, well-run, but not much sea life. I guess coral-reef diving is a high bar to reach.

View attachment 541319

Did you get into a couple of the rock nurseries and check out the cichlids? Excellent place to just bob around in the shallows and the little buggers will come right up to you and have a sniff around if you stay still. Less murky than the shoreline and sandy bits as well.

Your missus may have enjoyed that, but blowing bubbles frightens them away. Better to just drift with a snorkel.

No doubt you sampled the local delicacies - Chambo and chips, alternating with chicken and chips.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Did you get into a couple of the rock nurseries and check out the cichlids? Excellent place to just bob around in the shallows and the little buggers will come right up to you and have a sniff around if you stay still. Less murky than the shoreline and sandy bits as well.

Your missus may have enjoyed that, but blowing bubbles frightens them away. Better to just drift with a snorkel.

No doubt you sampled the local delicacies - Chambo and chips, alternating with chicken and chips.
Yep that’s exactly what we did.

One of the attractions being that we had a tank full of Cichlids at home at the time.

She still hated it. She hates everything about water. Hates the sea, hates boats, hates swimming, hates beaches.

...She hates everything about water. Hates the sea, hates boats, hates swimming, hates beaches.

Do you have to chain her to an old engine block in the back garden and hose her down once a month so she doesn't attract flies indoors?