Divers bottles help needed

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BANDSMAN69, Jul 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody out there know where I can get a divers bottle filled 20 miles radius of Thirsk North Yorks.

Thanking you in antcipation

2. Try looking through this. There might be a shop in your area that fills tanks. Yorks is down at the bottom of the page.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nope. Have a look for dive or gun shops. Any decent gun shop will have filtered compressors, as will a dive shop, and you'd be surprised at how far inland you'll find these!

4. Cloudbuster printed a list of thanks for the speedy reply, very much apperciated.

5. No worries.

6. I wouldn't recommend filling diving cylinders from a gun shops compressors. Breathing air should have passed stringent air purity tests and the vast majority of industrial compressors will not do so.

If this is for a military purpose (exped etc) try contacting the diving officer at ASADA (Army Sub Aqua Diving Assoc) and he will be able to point out the nearest military club to Thirsk, failing that look on the BSAC website for the nearest BSAC club. For a donation to their club coffers they may oblige.

Please though, stay away from gunshops!!

7. http://www.roho.co.uk/

Maybe slighlty further than you wanted to travel Birstall nr Leeds/Bradford but very good from what im led to believe.

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There are compressors and there are compressors. My local gunshop uses a small compressor that fills to 350bar and has a large filter block that contains a variety of layered particles for cleaning and drying air, specifically for air tanks. It's the same man-portable unit bought by the MOD recently and is made in Spain.

9. If desperate down to the fire station ,they have comps for the BA sets .

WW

10. ...........which they breath at surface pressure. (Partial pressure and contaminants, IIRC).

ONLY compressors specifically for filling diving cylinders should be used, and I sincerely hope that any fire station will send you packing if you turned up and asked them to fill one of your sets.

11. I have no doubt that your local gun shop has an all singing all dancing compressor, however unless it is within 20 miles of Thirsk it hardly fits the bill.

I know all about compressors, filter stacks, air purity tests etc having being around the dive industry for over 20 years and I stick by my advice of staying away from compressors not currently tested for supplying breathing air. Quite apart from anything Joint Service Sub Aqua Diving Regs stipulate that only compressors tested and passing purity tests wihin the past 6 months may be used on military expeds. So if this is a military exped the SADS would check this.

12. Good point cloudbuster, I am corrected
    WW

13. The BSAC website is the place to get some info http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/home.pl DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT A COMPRESSOR CERTIFIED FOR SUPPLYING BREATHING AIR

14. I can not find the contact details, but there is a PADI-type shop in the middle of York that I'm sure fills tanks (hopefully this is not too far away).

15. RAF Leeming has a diving club,

less than 20 miles

give them a try, I don't know the number but the Guardroom should have it somewhere.