Diver Find Lost Medals

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by merchantman, Sep 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well done the RNLI

Divers find medals lost in Thames

Mr Brown lost his medals as he boarded a boat using his walking frame
    Scuba divers have recovered war medals lost by a veteran of the Dunkirk evacuation in World War II after they fell into the river Thames.

Charles Brown, 93, lost the medals last Sunday as he boarded a boat during the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships cruise from Kingston to Weybridge.

The two rows of medals included an OBE, a Dunkirk and Normandy campaign medal.

Divers from Teddington Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) found them soon after beginning their search.

Scuba divers began their fingertip search near Kingston Bridge at about 1100 BST on Saturday.

Earlier attempts to recover the medals with magnets proved unsuccessful.

'No drama'

Mr Brown lost the medals from the breast pocket of his jacket as he used his walking frame to board a boat near Kingston Bridge.

Earlier Mr Brown had said: "I really hope they find my medals because one of them is an OBE and they only give one of those out - there's no second medal if I lose it."

Malcolm Miatt, operations manager at Teddington RNLI, said: "Our divers found them almost immediately, there was no drama at all.

"The medals are a bit muddy and dirty and we'd like to get them cleaned up.

"The old guy is a hero and truly deserved to get his medals back, the RNLI is delighted to have cheered him up."

Mr Brown is on his way to be reunited with the medals.
  2. A nice tale.
  3. Great news,well done RNLI.
  4. Someone nearby stand the divers a pint or two!

I´ll ask the Mrs to knock up a floating medal bag for him!!!

Glad he got the medals back, I bet he was truelly gutted.
  5. Nice story. But I still can't fathom ( No pun intended ) why the RNLI is not paid for by the state as per the other three emergency services.
  6. Agreed. IMHO they should be classed as an emergency service and paid / funded as such.

Edited to say good effort RNLI! Duh Jimmy!
  7. Totally agree. The tally of lives saved must be enormous yet they get nothing except what the public stump in donations. Shameful.

Well done those divers by the way. i shall pop a couple of tenners in the local collection tin in honour of a job nicely done.
  8. "Nice story. But I still can't fathom ( No pun intended ) why the RNLI is not paid for by the state as per the other three emergency services. "

Answer that I was given is that they get so much from donations that to be state funded would mean a large loss of income.
  9. Excellent stuff. Good to see that kind of spirit still on the go. Well done RNLI.
  10. Oddly enough, the Charity Commissioners do not like charities having lots of surplus cash so they forced the RNLI to get rid of much of their 'rainy day' money. The RNLI used it to build their spanking new college at Poole (link). According to a friend who was an RNLI training officer until fairly recently, more state interference is the last thing the RNLI wants. It's one area where properly trained and well-motivated volunteers fill the bill nicely. Besides, if it ain't broke....
  11. Same with mountain rescue. Spend hours on call, go up a mountain in the worst possible weather, spend hours bringing a casualty off the hill on a spinal board because the weather's too bad to get a helo in; entirely volunteers. Even if they keep their charitable status, the government should make a contribution in recognition of the work these charities do.
  12. Well done.
  13. Good effort RNLI

A nice touching story
  14. I always thought the RNLI was state-funded. However, I still make contributions to them. Hmm, ya live and learn.

Anyway, cracking drills by the fellas and I bet the old squaddie was chuffed to get his gongs back. A really heartwarming story, that.

15. Top job, done by 'normal people', without political interference