Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ditching Jerry Cans

Theres definatly another
But i may have miss remembered it
Thinking about it - It was impregnated cloths - which were kept in the cleaning bath.

It is of course possible that im confusing the traits of 2 different products and applying them to a 3rd
Acetone?

Otherwise known as AVPIN, it was the starter fuel for the Avons fitted to Lightnings, Hunters, Canberras and other aircraft. Standing downwind when the it was used was enough to make your eye's water and supposedly clear a head cold.

The cleaning fluids were, if I can remember them correctly were:

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)
Trichloroethane
Trichloroethylene

I think they are now banned under the Montreal Protocol.
In 84/85 I went from being up to my elbows in a Tric bath to not being able to use it in a tank with fitted gloves and extractors because said tank had two right angles in its extraction system. Made ejection seat servicing interesting.

Good thing mind, a lot of the guys carked it in the last ten years or so from leukemia and other shitty cancers - we fecked around with a lot of not healthy stuff for ages.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Otherwise known as AVPIN, it was the starter fuel for the Avons fitted to Lightnings, Hunters, Canberras and other aircraft. Standing downwind when the it was used was enough to make your eye's water and supposedly clear a head cold.

The cleaning fluids were, if I can remember them correctly were:

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)
Trichloroethane
Trichloroethylene

I think they are now banned under the Montreal Protocol.
  • MEK still a commonly used solvent. Burns very well.
  • Trichloroethane phased out under Montreal. flammable but can be difficult to ignite
  • Trichloroethylene still in use but gradually being replaced as it's a potential carcinogen. Used as a metal degreaser. As above but only just flammable.
  • CTC Carbon Tetrachloride - Phased out under montreal. -- Not flammable and used to be used in fire extinguishers

I worked at the place that made the chlorinated stuff.

AVPIN - lovely stuff. Still used in small quantities as a diesel Cetane improver
Stable unless heated or you put it near an oxidiser.

ScooterDog

Clanker
Keeping on the Wank theme.

On a 14 day tour, with my brother and a mate in 2018.

B (364).jpg

No jerry cans were harmed in the making of this photograph.

In 84/85 I went from being up to my elbows in a Tric bath to not being able to use it in a tank with fitted gloves and extractors because said tank had two right angles in its extraction system. Made ejection seat servicing interesting.

Good thing mind, a lot of the guys carked it in the last ten years or so from leukemia and other shitty cancers - we fecked around with a lot of not healthy stuff for ages.

Cherry picker windy day - so no plastic beaker of water

Mek to clean area
Apply RTV* lick fingers to smooth down
MEK to clean hands
Crawl around fuel tank
Swim through Hydraulics bay
clean area with Trike /MEK.
Fight with cabin insulation ( To be far non toxic but fibre glass rash is a bitch)
As Grac says confined spaces with unpleasant stuff (Stale Avtur being the worst smelling but least toxic.

Then watch the company panic because there may be Asbestos in the hanger roof

*Sealant

• MEK still a commonly used solvent. Burns very well.
  • Trichloroethane phased out under Montreal. flammable but can be difficult to ignite
  • Trichloroethylene still in use but gradually being replaced as it's a potential carcinogen. Used as a metal degreaser. As above but only just flammable.
  • CTC Carbon Tetrachloride - Phased out under montreal. -- Not flammable and used to be used in fire extinguishers

I worked at the place that made the chlorinated stuff.

AVPIN - lovely stuff. Still used in small quantities as a diesel Cetane improver
Stable unless heated or you put it near an oxidiser.
This thread is starting to sound like Father Jack's drinks cabinet.

HE117

LE
There was always a pile of Jerrycans behind the roadsign..

They used to get collected by a waggon from the Pet Depot at Nieheim.