Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ditching Jerry Cans

IPN, i cannot write it or I will be looked at funny by Intranet police!
blows cylinder heads off engines cause it a mono fuel
Isopropyl Nitrate - lovely stuff!! When ...errr....misused, the results can be quite spectacular. Seeing it's that time of year, do NOT use it to start yer bonfire.

I had a single 25l can. I usually tanked up just outside Calais from it and threw the can in the boot. Never got stopped. It is till in the garage collecting dust and adventurous spiders.

I had a mate who reckoned that they topped there BMW,s , GSi,s and RS1600i,s with tax free fuel in Wankum and filled the boots with “jerry cans”, then after flooring it to Calais they refueled and ditched the vessels.
Shirley Not?
Yes. Didn't fill up the jerrycans though, they came pre-filled post exercise, courtesy of the Relay Ops gene coffins. Allegedly.

Isopropyl Nitrate - lovely stuff!! When ...errr....misused, the results can be quite spectacular. Seeing it's that time of year, do NOT use it to start yer bonfire.

Isopopryl rings a bell

Was that the cleaning stuff - sweetish smell* - rags of which could ignite with little provocation.

*I can literally smell it in my memory now but cant describe it

Edit google brings up poppers - so im going to maker it clear - It was a solvent used for cleaning at work im describing - had its own bath - i may have confused the name

Wasnt tryke dyke or MEK - far nicer smelling and far more unstable

I live in a town called **** in Bavaria, I have made a business taking photos with eengleesh tourists with there hands on there todgers
These Germans have a house for everything

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 25
Photos or your lying...
memory Jog:-
The town exists, while driving a MK bedford full of the lads out on a jolly, we stopped by the town sign post, and all had their photos taken standing in front of it, much to the bafflement of some locals who came out to see a truck load of British Squaddies. 1978.

The town exists, while driving a MK bedford full of the lads out on a jolly, we stopped by the town sign post, and all had their photos taken standing in front of it, much to the bafflement of some locals who came out to see a truck load of British Squaddies. 1978.
Rivetting. So glad you take the time to post. You're inches away from becoming a national treasure.

Well done Trig', I am a ware it exists, I was replying to this;

"I have made a business taking photos with eengleesh tourists with there hands on there todgers"

I can neither confirm nor deny two enterprising Stabs purchased a pair of pristine jerry cans from the merchant supplier of most things military, the goodly Master Silverman, of the Mile End Road establishment, prior to Crusader 80. Nor can I confirm that one was filled with brandy, the other with vodka before being secured in the trailer attached to their FFR soon after Endex.
Alas, both fell asleep enroute to Zeebrugge and their FFR and trailer rolled down an embankment whereupon the transport caught fire.
Despite minor abrasions both were sobbing, possibly due to the expensive blueness of the flames issuing from the trailer part of the conflagration.

I live in a town called **** in Bavaria, I have made a business taking photos with eengleesh tourists with there hands on there todgers
Been there seen it, done it. Apparently the Ortsschild is very secure and the nuts cannot be removed with a Leatherman, or so I've been told.

I had a single 25l can. I usually tanked up just outside Calais from it and threw the can in the boot. Never got stopped. It is till in the garage collecting dust and adventurous spiders.
Still have mine, as tax paid fuel is considerably cheaper in Germany than France I still use it when going back to Britain.

anglo

LE
Isopopryl rings a bell

Was that the cleaning stuff - sweetish smell* - rags of which could ignite with little provocation.

Edit google brings up poppers - so im going to maker it clear - It was a solvent used for cleaning at work im describing - had its own bath - i may have confused the name

Carbon Tetrachloride

Wank & its mountain, a beautiful place in Bavaria.

676.jpg

Isopopryl rings a bell

Otherwise known as AVPIN, it was the starter fuel for the Avons fitted to Lightnings, Hunters, Canberras and other aircraft. Standing downwind when the it was used was enough to make your eye's water and supposedly clear a head cold.

The cleaning fluids were, if I can remember them correctly were:

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)
Trichloroethane
Trichloroethylene

I think they are now banned under the Montreal Protocol.

Otherwise known as AVPIN, it was the starter fuel for the Avons fitted to Lightnings, Hunters, Canberras and other aircraft. Standing downwind when the it was used was enough to make your eye's water and supposedly clear a head cold.

The cleaning fluids were, if I can remember them correctly were:

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)
Trichloroethane
Trichloroethylene

I think they are now banned under the Montreal Protocol.

Theres definatly another
But i may have miss remembered it
Thinking about it - It was impregnated cloths - which were kept in the cleaning bath.

It is of course possible that im confusing the traits of 2 different products and applying them to a 3rd

964ST

War Hero
MEK, blast from the past (Got glue at work that really needs that to make it fluid again).

Jet Packs, them paint sprayer things with a small glass screw-top jar, the plastic main bit and the compressed air cartridge (that peeps would stick in boiling water and blow the sinks off the wall)

964ST

War Hero
Theres definatly another
But i may have miss remembered it
Thinking about it - It was impregnated cloths - which were kept in the cleaning bath.

It is of course possible that im confusing the traits of 2 different products and applying them to a 3rd
Toluene?