DIT - Training Theory SME needed

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by historyboffin, Nov 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A very specific question, that I'm hoping someone out there can quickly clear up.

I have not completed DIT, but am involved in the assessment of instructors. Several weeks ago, an instructor looked at me in horror when I suggested that he vary his questioning technique to elicit informed responses from his students along the following lines:

"Why do you think this projectile is shaped like this, rather than like that...?" (regarding arty ammunition, not that it matters for the purposes of this question)

He explained to me that as a DIT-compliant instructor he would sooner pluck out his eyeballs than use the phrase "why do you think..." to a student, because he had been taught that this is NOT an acceptable way of testing students. He gave me a flowery and highly unsatisfactory explanation of the reasons behind this, which lead me to believe that he didn't fully understand the logic himself but had nonetheless commit the mantra to memory... thou shalt not ask a student 'what/why do you think...'....

Now for my question:

1. Is he correct? Does DIT-compliance mean that instructors should refrain from using this phrase?
    2. What is the logic behind it, from the DIT point of view?
    3. (Most importantly, please) Can someone offer me a reference for this?

Very much obliged!
  2. I use as many different questioning techniques as possible, it depends on the audience and the subject matter.

That said I very rarely use the full DIT format, it would take too long to produce and present a lesson.
  3. I think it depends what you are trying to get out o the students, if it is you doing confirmation questions during a theory lesson you need to ask the question so the student can give a right answer or you are not confirming they have got what you have taught them.

If it is during the lesson to get participation of the class then asking them for their thoughts is a fair one depending on the lesson.

My main question to you is why are you assessing people on DIT if you are not a DITT.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Why do you think the shell is shaped thusly would be a good question for more experienced Gunners, but maybe not Phase 2s...

You h aven't really helped in not providing the experience of hte group or the training objectives to be met.

YOU are straying in to 'Teaching', where as HE is staying firmly embedded in 'Instruction'. Without the above no one can really say either way.

What IS apparent is that YOU should be getting yourself loaded on a DIT, DTTT and a DITT course (as neccesary) in order to assess instructors.
  5. You're asking him to use a facilitative questioning technique, which is correct for giving a lesson where appropriate. However, it's not always appropriate.

The reference is the DTTT handbook and/or JSP 898 or speak to DCTS.

Agree with what c_f says, you shouldn't really be assessing instructors when you're not qualified yourself.

Get yourself on DIT/DTTT courses then you'll be qualified to assess others.
  6. He's right.

Asking 'Why do you think...' allows the student to come up with anything they want. 'Because SMIGS prefer that shape as it doesn't rip their arse open when they sit on it' while not correct, may very well be what he thinks.

This isn't just a DIT thing, I remember this from MOI & BIT too. The instructor should be asking specific questions to get a specific answer. Meaning the student is either right or wrong. No discussion, no grey area. Also it means there are no problems with timings going over after you've discussed what other shapes SMIGS like to stick up their ricker.
  7. AKA 'establish credibility'.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Correct as an 'instructor' to Crows, where you are merely ensuring they have absorbed the information you have just dispensed.

But if you were giving this as a 'revision' or 'development' type lesson to (for example) future Ph2 instructors, the 'why do YOU think' would be acceptable.
  9. Just remember, DIT is a one week course in how to be an instructor, it doesn't make you a teacher, it covers fundamental learning theory (very fundamental) and offers some good advice on how to present lessons in either a classroom or a workshop environment. It is focused on instructing, not learning, hence the response you are getting here.

The question you are suggesting is many things: an opportunity for the learner to tell you their life story and disrupt the lesson, an opportunity for you to evaluate their true level of knowledge on the topic and assess whether it represents actual understanding and of course an opportunity to embarress the learner. These are choices, dealing with each requires experience and maturity on the part of the teacher, DIT doesn't cater for that it caters for instructors coming through the sausage factory rather than skilled and experienced teachers who learn their trade over 2-3 years. DIT advice, stick to a fairly rigid method of formative questioning that won't permit deviation from the lesson plan, it works in a military environment - but nowhere else (because it's pedagogic rather than andragogic)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. On the other hand when, and I'm assuming he will, your instructor does a DTTT course he's going to have to change his instructional style, because he's going to "pluck his eyeballs out" on that course when he has no choice but to use this facilitative method .
  11. DTTT fantastic.

Esp when you break the planks with your head.

Make sure you get teh paper work to carry on your 'studies' and develop in to a pucker Instrctor. And of course a shot at the higher coaching/instructor quals. Still trying fr Unt Coach (level 5).
  12. I'm bypassing the whole lot and going for a degree.
  13. I did a dits course, a month or two afterwards I returned to the same establishment for another course. During that course we had to give a lesson, we were told not to bother with the dits format as it took too long. Go figure.
  14. Barking as it may be, parts 1 and 2 on the DTTT course are recognised by the TDA, yet the CTLLS was not...

If you can get on the DTTT I'd more than recommend it. If only for breaking wood to 'eye of the tiger'. That was a fantastic lesson.

I would make ALL instructors do that one, including DITs and AITC (ACF Adult Instr course).

What's your degree CTD?
  15. I've done DTTT(C) and got the CTTLS and bloody gutted it's not a fully recognised qual, I was hoping to get a credit transfer with the OU. :-(

I'm doing BSc (Hons) Psychology mate.