Disturbance Allowance - The Child Element and Travel

Dear Allowance Gurus;
Some advice please, I have just been posted and have moved into SFA from a private residence at my previous duty station. My son is 17 and goes to college he and his elder sister will remain in our private residence as he has to continue college. We will be setting up bedrooms for both of these kids in the new SFA as well.
Question: Am I entitled to claim the child element for my 17 year old son, my boss pointed out that the box on the claim refers to changing schools as the reson for the element. My son is not changing colleges.

We are though I believe entitled to assistance with travel costs 3 trips a year minus personal contribution of 100 miles per trip?

Answers to the above ta, don`t want to be seen off and adversly wouldn`t want to risk my pension for a measley few quid.

Ta
:?

Yes you are entitled to the child element as your children are under 18 and still in full time educcation
You will get 969 for Disubance
and 150 per child.

What about the definition of a child in the RAAC, Para 0.103, which states that a person between 18 - 25 still living at home, unmarried (lord knows who would be Married between 18 and 25 and still at home with Mum and Dad) and studying full time at School, College and Uni for their FIRST degree.

no offence but the definitions are in jsp 752 they are the hard and fast rules for all three services...

as far as im concerned (and im an allowances and pay cl) you get it

Controversial said:
no offence but the definitions are in jsp 752 they are the hard and fast rules for all three services...

as far as im concerned (and im an allowances and pay cl) you get it
07.0109. Child Element. The Child Element of DA contributes towards costs necessarily incurred for the child as a direct result of a family move which qualifies for DA. It is intended to contribute towards the extra costs of buying new school uniform items and books on moving a child from one school, or place of apprenticeship, to another. Service personnel entitled to DA may claim the Child Element for each child who satisfies one or more of the following conditions:

a. The child is 3 years of age or over and receiving full-time education at a day school (including nursery school or technical college), which is defined as daily attendance for at least half of each weekday, and there is a requirement to purchase new school uniform for the child. Any nursery school or playgroup is to be one that is established under formal arrangements with the Local Education Authority (LEA) or equivalent overseas (normally HQ Service Children’s Education located at Wegberg).

b. The child is moved from a day school to a boarding school, or vice-versa, after the date on which the Service person is notified of the assignment, but not later than the beginning of the first school term after the Service person joins the new duty station.

c. The child is serving a full-time apprenticeship for which a wage, less than the UK National Minimum Wage, is received.
Pay and allowances clerk eh? Just what in the previous extract makes you think this child qualifies for the child element of disturbance allowance?

Nice job quoting the relevant JSP but you might want to actually read it next time.

In short, no change of school, no child element of disturbance allowance.

Acegarp said:
We are though I believe entitled to assistance with travel costs 3 trips a year minus personal contribution of 100 miles per trip?
04.1209. Standard Entitlement. The entitlement is as follows:

a. Children under the age of 19 years at school (see paragraph 04.1204a)
will be eligible to 3 return SCVs at public expense. Alternatively, the Service parent may choose to claim public expense travel for the eligible child(ren) for 6 single journeys. If the child is under 16, the half warrant rule does not enhance the entitlement to 6 return journeys.

b. When an eligible child has reached the age of 19 years, and is still in fulltime secondary education, the above entitlement will continue to apply until the end of the academic year in which the child attains 19 years of age.

c. A child aged from 19 to 25 years of age who is unmarried or who has not registered a civil partnership and is attending other full-time education, as defined in paragraph 04.1204a, will be eligible for one return SCV at public expense during each complete academic year (see paragraph 04.1204b). The return SCV may be made at any time during the academic year and will count against the academic year in which the SCV journey begins. For children at university, the appropriate entitlement applies only to those studying for a first degree.

04.1210. Method of Travel. The methods of travel that may be utilised for SCVs are as follows:

a. When the Service parent is stationed in the UK or NI:

(1) Rail warrant/Service arranged ticket.
(2) Private motor vehicle and claim MMA at CLR.
(3) Where the Service parent is stationed in NI or the GB Islands,
over water journeys may be undertaken by air and are to be by the most
economical means from the nearest airport to the child’s school. RAF Air
Transport (AT) or MOD charter aircraft is to be used unless it is
unavailable. Where civil air travel is used for SCVs it is to be by civil
scheduled air services, in economy class, unless specifically authorised
for a higher class by Defence Passenger Reservation Centre (DPRC).
(4) Coach or civil air in circumstances other than sub-paragraph
04.1210a(3). A Service person who exercises this option is not to
receive Service arranged flights. They are to arrange and pay for the
journey by coach or civil air and may claim actual costs for each entitled
child up to the cost of MMA at CLR for the full journey.

b. When the Service parent is stationed overseas:

(1) Rail warrant/Service arranged ticket.
(2) AT or MOD charter aircraft unless it is unavailable. Where civil air
travel is used for SCVs it is to be in economy class unless specifically
authorised for a higher class by DPRC.
(3) Terminal costs to and from the point of arrival/departure within the
UK for actual coach, taxi, airfare, school owned or provided transport,
private car journeys (at MMA at CLR) and any congestion charges are
refundable within the cost of the rebated rail fare for the same journey.
In summary, first degree only and 3 return trips per year, MMA paid at the leave rate. (nothing in there about 100 mile contribution)

Controversial, where does it cap the age at 18, having looked at Soldier_Why's post it would appear that any child over 3, providing they fill the criteria, would be eligiable.

LongJohnSilver said:
See previous post regarding the definition of a child, albeit, from RAAC, could you claim for the over 18 year old up to 25 etc etc?
You can certainly claim for the one SCV

c. A child aged from 19 to 25 years of age who is unmarried or who has not registered a civil partnership and is attending other full-time education, as defined in paragraph 04.1204a, will be eligible for one return SCV at public expense during each complete academic year (see paragraph 04.1204b). The return SCV may be made at any time during the academic year and will count against the academic year in which the SCV journey begins. For children at university, the appropriate entitlement applies only to those studying for a first degree.
Child element of DA however is still contingent on a change of school.

So if the individual was aged 18 - 25 fulfiling the criteria and he/she changed colleges/Uni/6th form etc as a result of a service move, hypertheticaly Child Element DA could be claimed??

LongJohnSilver said:
So if the individual was aged 18 - 25 fulfiling the criteria and he/she changed colleges/Uni/6th form etc as a result of a service move, hypertheticaly Child Element DA could be claimed??
Hypothetically, yes

there is a requirement to purchase new school uniform for the child
I don't know of many universities that insist on a uniform though.