Disturbance Allowance - The Child Element and Travel

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Acegarp, Oct 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Dear Allowance Gurus;
    Some advice please, I have just been posted and have moved into SFA from a private residence at my previous duty station. My son is 17 and goes to college he and his elder sister will remain in our private residence as he has to continue college. We will be setting up bedrooms for both of these kids in the new SFA as well.
    Question: Am I entitled to claim the child element for my 17 year old son, my boss pointed out that the box on the claim refers to changing schools as the reson for the element. My son is not changing colleges.

    We are though I believe entitled to assistance with travel costs 3 trips a year minus personal contribution of 100 miles per trip?

    Answers to the above ta, don`t want to be seen off and adversly wouldn`t want to risk my pension for a measley few quid.

  2. Yes you are entitled to the child element as your children are under 18 and still in full time educcation
    You will get 969 for Disubance
    and 150 per child.
  3. forgot to say if you get any problems refer them to JSP 752 which is the allowances manual
  4. What about the definition of a child in the RAAC, Para 0.103, which states that a person between 18 - 25 still living at home, unmarried (lord knows who would be Married between 18 and 25 and still at home with Mum and Dad) and studying full time at School, College and Uni for their FIRST degree.
  5. no offence but the definitions are in jsp 752 they are the hard and fast rules for all three services...

    as far as im concerned (and im an allowances and pay cl) you get it
  6. Soldier_Why

    Soldier_Why LE Moderator

    Pay and allowances clerk eh? Just what in the previous extract makes you think this child qualifies for the child element of disturbance allowance?

    Nice job quoting the relevant JSP but you might want to actually read it next time.

    In short, no change of school, no child element of disturbance allowance.
  7. Soldier_Why

    Soldier_Why LE Moderator

    In summary, first degree only and 3 return trips per year, MMA paid at the leave rate. (nothing in there about 100 mile contribution)
  8. Controversial, where does it cap the age at 18, having looked at Soldier_Why's post it would appear that any child over 3, providing they fill the criteria, would be eligiable.
  9. Soldier_why, is that how you interpret Child Element DA???
  10. Soldier_Why

    Soldier_Why LE Moderator

    How do you mean? Change of school? I'm not sure what you are asking mate.
  11. See previous post regarding the definition of a child, albeit, from RAAC, could you claim for the over 18 year old up to 25 etc etc?
  12. Soldier_Why

    Soldier_Why LE Moderator

    You can certainly claim for the one SCV

    Child element of DA however is still contingent on a change of school.
  13. So if the individual was aged 18 - 25 fulfiling the criteria and he/she changed colleges/Uni/6th form etc as a result of a service move, hypertheticaly Child Element DA could be claimed??
  14. Soldier_Why

    Soldier_Why LE Moderator

    Hypothetically, yes

    I don't know of many universities that insist on a uniform though.
  15. VMT Soldier_why