distances people travel to 4Para

Hi all, first post.

I live in Hereford and intend on joining 4 Para next year.

Just wondering if anyone travels from down this way? Its a good 280 mile round trip. Not a problem for weekends but could be an issue for Tues eves, due to the M5/6 tfc issues.

Regards

James

The_Duke

LE
James,

People travel significant distances, but the Tuesday night part is key while you are a recruit. You would miss too many lessons and progressive phys training if you didn't make the Tuesday nights.

Fine to miss a few (or even a lot) when you are trained and in the unit, not a realistic option during recruit training. Hereford to London or St Helens by 1930 on a regular basis is a big commitment.

Much though I like 4 PARA, a 280 mile round trip sounds excessive.

The Commando Gunners in Bristol were a good unit, I am out of date on what they are doing now but they would be worth a look.

If you insist on joining 4 PARA it might still be an idea to get the basics sorted in a local unit and then transfer to 4 PARA. If you get a good recommendation from you local unit you should be able to skip most of the Tuesday nights and just do the weekends.

Obviously it is possible to do mate and it will show a lot of commitment if you can manage it, but just be aware that even living a 5 mins from your TAC, its a massive commitment!!! Good luck

As I understand it you might be most comfortably placed within pre-breakfast running distance, allowing time to stop to call the emergency services should you ever come across a suspected burglar who has fallen down a well :)

2622 Squadron based at RAF Lossiemouth have members from as far away as Newcastle to the South (650 mile round trip) and from Shetland and Orkney..so thats a good flight or ferry ride away.

I had a 170 mile round trip which in the winter was an absolute killer of a drive over the mountains!

Was it worth it...nope!..lol

We had a guy last cadre lived in Ulster didnt do tuesday nights came to Glasgow for weekends got best student on P Coy
I take it he paid for the flights himself then?

Over here in the land of Oz, the Army Reserves, equivalent to TA, the similar situation as yours does occur and on a greater distance. 2 Commando Coy, 1st Commando Regiment, which is based in a suburb of Melbourne, Williamstown, there were soldiers coming from Albury/Wadonga which is just a bit over 300 k's away. They used to come down on the Tuesday, after parade get a few hours kip at the drill hall then drive back. Same with 1 Commando Coy, 1st Commando Regiment, which are based in Mosman, Sydney, there were guys travelling up from Canberra, ACT a trip of around 300 k's.

I guess the moral in this tale is how's your commitment? I won't go into the differences between Oz/UK transport, because I cannot comment on the UK system, just as I stated, your commitment, and ways to get around the tyranny of distance.