distances people travel to 4Para

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by spangels, Aug 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, first post.

I live in Hereford and intend on joining 4 Para next year.

Just wondering if anyone travels from down this way? Its a good 280 mile round trip. Not a problem for weekends but could be an issue for Tues eves, due to the M5/6 tfc issues.

Regards

James

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

James,

People travel significant distances, but the Tuesday night part is key while you are a recruit. You would miss too many lessons and progressive phys training if you didn't make the Tuesday nights.

Fine to miss a few (or even a lot) when you are trained and in the unit, not a realistic option during recruit training. Hereford to London or St Helens by 1930 on a regular basis is a big commitment.

3. Why on earth are you planning on joining a unit that's 140 miles from your house?

4. Much though I like 4 PARA, a 280 mile round trip sounds excessive.

The Commando Gunners in Bristol were a good unit, I am out of date on what they are doing now but they would be worth a look.

If you insist on joining 4 PARA it might still be an idea to get the basics sorted in a local unit and then transfer to 4 PARA. If you get a good recommendation from you local unit you should be able to skip most of the Tuesday nights and just do the weekends.

5. We had a guy last cadre lived in Ulster didnt do tuesday nights came to Glasgow for weekends got best student on P Coy

6. Obviously it is possible to do mate and it will show a lot of commitment if you can manage it, but just be aware that even living a 5 mins from your TAC, its a massive commitment!!! Good luck

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

watershed, Spenny - PMs for you

8. As I understand it you might be most comfortably placed within pre-breakfast running distance, allowing time to stop to call the emergency services should you ever come across a suspected burglar who has fallen down a well :)

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If you are going to pick a man to try and outrun, try not to let it be that one!

10. 4 1/2 hour round trip for me:|

11. 2622 Squadron based at RAF Lossiemouth have members from as far away as Newcastle to the South (650 mile round trip) and from Shetland and Orkney..so thats a good flight or ferry ride away.

I had a 170 mile round trip which in the winter was an absolute killer of a drive over the mountains!

Was it worth it...nope!..lol

12. No decent airborne units in Hereford.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I take it he paid for the flights himself then?

14. Cheers for the input. Thinking i could make Tues eves on an R1!

15. Don't 4Para have a TAC/HQ in Pudsey? Surely that would be easier...