Distance Courses

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Boozy, Jul 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking to do some distance A-Levels this year and wondering if anyone who lives in Northern Ireland could recommend a company to go though.

The main reason I ask is a lot of the companies I have looked at online seem to have their examination centres in England and I would be looking to sit the exam somewhere in NI.

I don't know what it is about these online distance learning companies but I struggle to believe most of them are legit!

There are colleges which offer the A-Levels I want but I've done the maths and for a 150quid course I'd be spending at least 500-600quid on travelling over the course of the year. Can't afford to throw that kind of money away and am confident I can teach myself given the right materials.

Anyone have any experience of these distance A-Levels? I'd be looking to do Bio, Chem and either Physics or Maths.

2. WatchingWater

WatchingWater Old-Salt Book Reviewer

May I ask how old you are? You may still be eligible for College and do it there, either full time or (in some cases) part-time.

3. I'll be 24 on friday. I already have a Degree in History and A-Levels in History, Classical Civilisation, Spanish and Geography ...

I'm just looking to do these to keep opening up doors career wise. Don't think I'm eligible for what you suggest WW tbh and in any case my nearest campus doing these courses would still cost me a fortune in petrol getting there.

Has to be able to fit around a full time job. My job is paramount. So nights and weekends.

4. HHH

HHH LE

Does this not have what you need ?
    The Open University in Northern Ireland | Choose | Open University

5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

College of Knowledge or what used to be Cregagh Tech?

6. I have no idea what that is but google suggests it's the NW Regional College in Londondoire? They do the courses I want but my petrol estimate for runnin up and down is too high. My 'local' tech only does the one of the courses and in the furthest away campus from me possible meaning it would cost as much to travel to as derry.

Looking into maybe just doing the whole course myself and sitting the exam at one of the techs - but looking at the list of school and techs which accept external candidates suggest this could be a pain in the arse to sort out too!

Another thing I don't understand is how these distance courses cost double than tech courses when sure they have less overheads as you teach yourself!
    nope couldn't find any A-Levels on there.

7. HHH

HHH LE

Sorry my mistake, forgot it was A-Levels you were after.

What about this then;

Northern Regional College

Or is this the one, that only does one of your courses ?

BTW, the one that skid2 is talking about is in East Belfast.

8. NRC is my local, they are more than a bit useless like... they only do P/T sociology and psychology up round my way and I won't touch those subjects with a barge pole as they are a bit mickey mouse.

They do biology which I want, but in Newtonabbey which is a bit too far unfortunately. They have a full time course in forensics too which I'd love to be able to drop out of work and do but surprise surprise it's up in Belfast too! :(

Half pondering if I could enrol somewhere like LD but come to some kind of agreement about not actually going so much, drive up every few weeks to pick up materials perhaps just so they will register me for the exam and/or practicals.

Living in the arse end of nowhere sucks!

9. HHH

HHH LE

You can do e-learning with the University of Ulster in forensics.

Online Prospectus :: University of Ulster :: PgCert Forensic Studies

10. Lisburn has AEC, Learn Direct and DELC, are you serving Boozy?