Dissolution of the RAF?

Should the RAF be placed in suspended animation?

• Yes

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 60.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, well this ain't going to happen. Imagine the argument over new cap badges for the ex RAF Sqns, regimental precedence and who'd march on Whitehall when No XX Typhoon Squadron (Countess of Blankshire's Own) Loamshire Yeomany was tthreatened with amalgamation with 7/33 Chinook Squadron Tzarina Alexandra's Company of Halberdiers? I mean, really. There'd be no faux Victorian traditions to imbue the youngsters with, parrot fashion. And there's no horses, either (although the last mounted detachment of RAF Police plodded on until 1979).
Give them ten years and all aircraft would have the same degree of investment as Chally and about the same future prospects. There would have been around sixteen new uniform designs rolled out and they still wouldn't have resolved the most difficult questions, sleeves rolled up or down, jacket tucked in or out.

Give them ten years and all aircraft would have the same degree of investment as Chally and about the same future prospects. There would have been around sixteen new uniform designs rolled out and they still wouldn't have resolved the most difficult questions, sleeves rolled up or down, jacket tucked in or out.
And some berets, rather mysteriously, would appear with a strange, Snoopy-like emblem at the rear, commemorating some long-forgotten incident that occrred to some unrelated group of soldiers.

And sleeves of the dreadful blouson jacket could be pulled back early Miami Vice/80s German crooner style.

I can see that my idle musings have attracted some negative attention. I think I probably should have posted this in the NAAFI bar instead. Maybe the Moderator could help me out there?

No offence meant to the Crabs and I admittedly didn't give it much thought. Nor did I go into much detail. I did however think it would encourage some light hearted banter.

In addition, I searched for similar threads and could find no mention of dissolution and RAF. Perhaps I need to join the ranks of the digital eagles......

I can see that my idle musings have attracted some negative attention. I think I probably should have posted this in the NAAFI bar instead. Maybe the Moderator could help me out there?

No offence meant to the Crabs and I admittedly didn't give it much thought. Nor did I go into much detail. I did however think it would encourage some light hearted banter.

In addition, I searched for similar threads and could find no mention of dissolution and RAF. Perhaps I need to join the ranks of the digital eagles......
Well done for admitting that this wasn't going well. It's been debated, more or less, for the last 97 years. Bottom line Army does land stuff, Navy does Maritime stuff and, (as you've probably guessed) Air Force does, err air stuff! It's worked well since 1918 - globally - and I can't see a reason to change. Although the uniform could be improved a bit.

Out of interest what unit did/do you serve with/in ?

You got turned down by them, didn't you?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You didn't vote SNP then?
Do you agree with every single policy of the party you think best at running the country and vote for?

tbh these days much of the raf is run by serco or babcock a lot of the rest is in the hands of auggies,the reg keeps the numbers up but how long can its present size be justified.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Trident is hardly a side issue.

Of course I wouldn't vote for a party with a policy that ridiculous.
Just how much of a chance do the SNP have of getting rid of Tridents, just a score between 1 and 10 will do with 10 being the most likely?

If your going to spend billions on Tridents you should ruddy well use them, not let them sit in the stores, and go past their use by date.

Plenty of places that would benefit from a nuclear Holocaust, Luton for one.

With the next SDSR being conducted, it got me thinking that perhaps we need to have a radical re-think about what we need in terms of capabilities.

I know that Tedder and others of his ilk did some fine stuff in WWII, but what have they really done for us since then. Yes, I hear you saying CAS and Strat Lift etc etc, but seriously, what capability do they have that we couldn't cover between the Army and the Navy. Their fast jet pilots have such considerable skill fade post HERRICK, that it would take at least a year to re-train them to air to air combat ready status. The rock apes are just that. Glorified MPGS for airfields. They are so deluded as to their value (just check out the RAF Regt Youtube video 5 miler and you'll see what I mean).

We already provided rotary and fixed wing pilots between us, as well as the rest of the CEGs. Sure, there may be some conversion training required for the pilots, but that's it. Their support structure is 24 to 1 for each pilot, which is just ridiculous. Just think of the RDEL and CDEL savings we could make.

Anyone else with me on this?

Home

I could drive a Typhoon fighter aircraft no problem, its easy, just show me where the clutch and brake is and I'm off. How hard can it be ?
No clutch. After the tooms it all went automatic. Fuel injection changed things as well, no more getting the choke just right on cold mornings. Typhoons are all right hand drive these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.